John Hurt to Film again as Ollivander this Month for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
November 04, 2009, 12:48 PM

Actor John Hurt has made some new comments regarding his role as the mysterious wandmaker Mr. Ollivander for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Confirming his character will be in both films, John Hurt spoke to Rotten Tomatoes about filming again this month on the movie, as well as some frank comments on the studios in Britain, large franchises and more. Quotage:

JH: I've filmed one, which actually is the last one, and now I've got the penultimate one to do which is in November, and that wraps it all up. It's a big loss for Britain in terms of having a big studio movie here, but it's not representative of our culture in terms of the films that we make. I am convinced that though Pinewood and Shepperton -- the big studios -- playing host to big movies is very important, our film business is in the independent world. Of that I'm convinced...

Do you think the big franchise movies shooting in the UK give a false impression of the health of our industry? All these productions move in and hire local talent, but they aren't British films.

JH: No, they're not British films. Even Harry Potter isn't a British [franchise]. We gave it to Warners, we just sit and collect. That always infuriates me. I do think huge areas of the industry are being neglected and we've lost the ability for middle-budget films. When we did have a stronger industry -- and not just a business -- we did have room for middle-budget films. They've gone out of the window, as they've done in America as well, but a $20m picture would be wonderful to make every now and then. We could do a lot for that.

But it's like any country, if you don't have a lot of money to spend. And it's interesting seeing how much money gets spent on Harry Potter. It's quite absurd, really. I watch it and think it's just the same as Hollywood. I look around and you've got three costumes there, none of which are likely to be worn, and they're all replicas of each other. It's a vacuous waste of money and it drives me insane."

Thanks so much Joe!

Leaky's Harry Potter Twitter list is the most exhaustive collection of news and official Harry Potter information in the world. Be sure to follow it today!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

YAY! Olivander’s back! I loved the way he portrayed him :)

Posted by Another Weasley on November 04, 2009, 12:53 PM report to moderator
Avcj_thumb

I am also so happy Ollivander is back!

Posted by Princess Leia on November 04, 2009, 12:59 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Like John Hurt

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on November 04, 2009, 01:07 PM report to moderator
Bokorm_-p_thumb

Love that he’s back to portray Ollivander!

Posted by Lisbry on November 04, 2009, 01:08 PM report to moderator

Nice! :)

Posted by Mairéad on November 04, 2009, 01:13 PM report to moderator
Baby_harry_thumb

So the question is… are we seeing olivander earlier on, when Voldemort tortures Olivander (and Harry sees it in his mind), or do we have a clue as to where the device is? I vote for the former, but it is a point…

Posted by savingharry on November 04, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator
Img_0211__2__thumb

I love hearing Deathly Hallows news. And – I suppose some may see the things he mentions as a waste of money. I look at it as Warner Bros. spreading the wealth around. With multiple copies of the same costumes being made – think of all the people that profit from that: designers, sewers, factories that make notions and embellishments, weaving houses, dressers, etc., etc. etc. Helps the economy – right?

Posted by sueml on November 04, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

I’m still quite angry about the fact that the Wizarding World of HP is being build in Orlando, Florida, and not somewhere in the UK where it rightly belongs. So in that sense I completely understand where Mr Hurt is coming from.

In any case, it’s great that he’s back and doing — apparently — quite a bit of filming for DH. I truly hope we’ll get to see not just the Malfoy Manor and Shell Cottage scenes but also Harry’s insight into Voldemort’s mind. And not just the Ollivander insight either, but loads of them, like Harry has in the book.

Posted by MischiefManaged on November 04, 2009, 02:04 PM report to moderator

I was just wondering if he’d be back to play Ollivander — great news.

Posted by Oh, Neville OoM4, GS on November 04, 2009, 03:15 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

He’s perfect as Ollivander! And I agree with the way he thinks that England should have most of the stuff. (Partly because it’s nearer to me. : P)

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on November 04, 2009, 03:17 PM report to moderator

wait… if he’s filming for both part 1 and part 2…. what does this mean? that Shell Cottage will be in part 2, right? I mean, Harry first saw him in the Malfoy Manor (and that could be in part 1), and then Harry talks again with him at Shell’s Cottag (and that could be in part 2????’).

This could mean that…. the splitting point is between malfoy manor and shell’s cottage???? answer please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on November 04, 2009, 03:21 PM report to moderator
Kc_lucius1_thumb

I cannot wait to see all of the scenes of ollivander!!

Posted by KC Nox on November 04, 2009, 03:46 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

wow! intense interview. im glad hes back though! and for DH news! @ele0206 ROAR, i know! im trying to figure out the split from all the news about filming as well!!!! i think we are going to be questioning it until part 1 comes out! its so closely secured!!!!! =)

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on November 04, 2009, 05:39 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

Oh he is the most wonderful actor.

Posted by The Nerd on November 04, 2009, 05:40 PM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

I am so glad that he is coming back. I love John Hurt.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on November 04, 2009, 10:00 PM report to moderator

"Honestly, if you were any slower, you'd be going backward."