Oxford University Gets Gryffindor Common Room

HP References
Posted by: Edward
November 24, 2009, 03:56 PM

The students at Oxford University, Magdalen College have given one of their common rooms a bit of the Harry Potter magic, for the Telegraph reports a motion has passed renaming the Magdalen College Junior Common Room 'Gryffindor' after the Hogwarts House.  Zoe Tyndall, a student who voted in favor of the first name change on the room in its 550-year history, says "Magdalen College embodies the values of courage, daring, nerve and chivalry.  These are the characteristics of the Gryffindor house in Harry Potter novels."  Similar campaigns are now being considered to rename three additional Common Rooms; Christ Church, St. Hughs and Merton; after the Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin Houses.

President-Elect of Magdalen Junior (now Gryffindor) Common Room, Tom Meakin, goes on to add about the following about the name change: "Magdalen does after all look a little bit like Hogwarts, and not to put any noses out of joint, but my Vice-President does look a little bit like Hagrid."  Six students opposed the measure.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HP References News

Hufflepuff_logo_thumb

sweet! I hope one of my common rooms gets a cool hp name.

Posted by Jeremiah Wilson on November 24, 2009, 05:00 PM report to moderator
Lovegood2_thumb

for this sole reason, when i go to college, this is my top choice!

Posted by Loveforluna on November 24, 2009, 05:25 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Omg, that is great!

Posted by Christine on November 24, 2009, 05:41 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-11-20_at_12

Lol. That’s cool.

Posted by SlyBones on November 24, 2009, 06:44 PM report to moderator

that is so cool

Posted by 7Pirates on November 24, 2009, 07:00 PM report to moderator
Harrypotter5pic2_thumb

lucky!!!

Posted by kyramp on November 24, 2009, 08:37 PM report to moderator

Oh God I hope the students in the college to be renamed “Slytherin” won’t feel bad or get hate :( At first I thought this was cool……but now I feel like it may be taking the whole thing a little too far…..

Posted by Another Weasley on November 24, 2009, 10:36 PM report to moderator
Img_2315_face0_thumb

Now THAT is awesome!

Posted by Nicci Weasley on November 25, 2009, 01:38 AM report to moderator
98143829_thumb
1910 Points

Great. I want to go there!!!

Posted by Jane_Potter on November 25, 2009, 03:23 AM report to moderator
Iheartfredgeorge_thumb

That is so awesome!! I wish I went to a school like that. :)

Posted by Mera004 on November 25, 2009, 06:59 AM report to moderator
Iheartfredgeorge_thumb

That is so awesome!! I wish I went to a school like that. :)

Posted by Mera004 on November 25, 2009, 06:59 AM report to moderator
Abd4_day_without_fusion_thumb

This made my day.

Posted by Elizabeth on November 25, 2009, 08:12 AM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

That is bloody brillant… as Ron would say!!!!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on November 25, 2009, 08:17 AM report to moderator
Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

This totally made my day too :):)

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on November 25, 2009, 08:20 AM report to moderator
Thistletopiary_thumb

How cool is that?!

Posted by bettb [ITC!] on November 25, 2009, 08:26 AM report to moderator

He was looking down into a kind of pit, an underground room, and lying on the floor some ten feet below, apparently fast asleep, thin and starved in appearance, was the real Mad-Eye Moody. His wooden leg was gone, the socket that should have held the magi