Variety: Dan Radcliffe to Return to Broadway in a Musical

Radcliffe
October 09, 2009, 05:36 AM

Some possible big news this morning as Variety is reporting that "Daniel Radcliffe: will head the cast of an upcoming New York reading of 1961 tuner "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying," marking the first musical turn for the "Harry Potter" star. The industry magazine then says "While producers could not be reached for confirmation, the reading is scheduled for December, with no other cast so far in place. Sources said plans for the production will be worked out based on the success of the reading."

Some background on the awarding winning musical is found in the Variety piece: "Written by Abe Burrows, Jack Weinstock and Willie Gilbert, with music and lyrics by Frank Loesser, "How to Succeed" chronicles the rise of a crafty window cleaner as he follows the advice of a self-help manual to connive his way up through the ranks of the World Wide Wickets Co. and get the girl in the process. Robert Morse created the role on Broadway and in the 1967 screen adaptation. The original production won seven Tonys, including musical, as well as the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1962, running for a healthy 1,417 performances. Matthew Broderick won a Tony for the lead role in a 1995 Rialto revival.

While that recent production might make it seem a little soon to start considering a major remount, the current economic turmoil, upheaval in the job market, and a host of fresh reasons to skewer the world of corporate America stand to make the cynical comedy resonate with today's audiences."

Please note, as exciting as this sounds, we are working to get confirmation on this and will update as soon as we can, stay tuned!

Thanks Gabrielle!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

BWT::Guys this isn’t for sure yet.,,,that he will do the play….it’s a reading.,,he
is looking at all kinds of projects….this is one of them.
If he does do it I hope he does another film before he starts this.

Posted by Jeannine on October 10, 2009, 10:42 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

OMG, I’m freaking OUT! This is so exciting. I know he will be brilliant!!!

Img_44501_thumb

whoa Dan in a musical? pretty awesome! :D

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on October 10, 2009, 10:48 AM report to moderator
1204091927_thumb

whao Dan singing ? IM IN :D

Posted by Heroine Luna on October 10, 2009, 11:02 AM report to moderator
Funny-pictures-orange-weasly-cats-1_thumb

hey this is like when i heard Johnny Depp was gonna be in a musical…I didn’t actually see Sweeney Todd but I heard he was good in it. I hope Dan’s just as good…can’t really imagine him singing but I couldn’t picture Johnny Depp singing either.

Posted by Lions4thecup on October 10, 2009, 11:29 AM report to moderator
Picture_324_thumb

So he sings, eh? Should be interesting. I wish him luck!

Posted by Scribbled [WBM] on October 10, 2009, 11:42 AM report to moderator
Darkside_thumb

O-oh yes…

Posted by Esmeralda.ROARღ on October 10, 2009, 01:28 PM report to moderator

He’s gonna sing now? Awesoooome!

Posted by Sarah on October 10, 2009, 01:41 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

Go Dan!!! =D

Dobbyavvie_thumb

I’m dying here! My parents wouldn’t allow me to see Equus, but they both LOVE How to Succeed! My dad even played the boss when he was in high school. I’m so excited to hear Dan sing! I’d want to see that show anyway. Go Dan!

Posted by Scarlet~Phoenix on October 10, 2009, 02:28 PM report to moderator

You don’t need to be a singer for this role. You have to be cute, and intelligent enough to be taught to hit the occasional note accurately. I’m not the biggest Dan Radcliffe fan in the world, but I do think this role will suit him.

Posted by sgt_majorette on October 10, 2009, 03:45 PM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

haha.wow!

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on October 10, 2009, 05:55 PM report to moderator
Hp___dh_40_thumb

omg, this is amazing! if he’s really doing this i totally want to see it _

Posted by iheartpink(ROAR) on October 11, 2009, 01:02 AM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

If this is true, I’m sure he’s taking singing lessons. I remember him saying in a couple of different interviews that he can’t sing to save his life. If that’s true, this might just be one of “those” rumours.

Posted by DeliaDee on October 11, 2009, 01:12 AM report to moderator
Swans_in_love_thumb
2062 Points

This would be pretty cool if it turns out to be true. I love musical theatre!!

Posted by Alice Weasley{Weasley's Queen} [ROAR!] on October 11, 2009, 01:36 AM report to moderator

"Looking for Crouch, according to Bagman," said Harry. "He's still ill. Hasn't been into work."[br]"Maybe Percy's poisoning him," said Ron. "Probably thinks if Crouch snuffs it he'll be made head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation."[br

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014