Helen McCrory: WB is "letting out all the stops" with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
October 05, 2009, 06:41 AM

Exciting news today in the form of a new interview with actress Helen McCrory. Speaking to UK Rotten Tomatoes, the actress discusses her role as Narcissa Malfoy in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, confirming the cast will be doing a read-through today of the script for Part Two, the bulk of which is due to begin filming this month.  She also says fans will be in for a treat with these final installments in the Harry Potter series, noting "her work on Deathly Hallows was going well and promised an epic finale for Potter fans. "It's got a full stop," she told us. "I think up to now, every director who has done a Harry Potter has had to do a dot-dot-dot. They know it's a sequel, they know there's another film coming out. But with this one, we can actually make everything have an epic ending. It's going to be final. And it's going to be huge. There doesn't have to be any more pauses or dot-dot-dots. So they're letting out all the stops with this one."

Helen McCrory also reflects on the ending of the story for the cast and crew, as well as for the characters in the series, notably Harry Potter.

"We finish in April and it does feel different on set actually," she explained. "Some people have been doing it for 10, 11 years. It's part of their lives. So although I've just joined them at the end, a lot of people have a huge emotional commitment to it. There are children that have grown up with the people on the set, like the directors and the costume designers backstage. It's a very big occasion for those people."

Despite the magical challenges faced by Harry and co. as Voldemort continues to gain power, McCrory thinks that what makes director David Yates' time on the series so special is his attention to the more human aspects of the franchise. "[Half-Blood Prince] was definitely filled with teenage angst, and you remember how violent teenage angst is. There's nothing romantic about it. You're thinking, Oh my God, what am I going to do for the rest of my life? You're starting to make decisions about the rest of your life. I think [David Yates] really summed that up in a very real way, and a very serious way.

"I think with these next two films, he's looking at this character becoming a man. And that again, is quite an epic story. That's Ulysses. Rites of passage. It's exactly what Noel Clarke did, in a way, with Kidulthood. We still watch those stories, whether they're set in Hogwarts or New Cross."

Thanks so much to Joe from Rotten Tomatoes UK!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Hpphotoshop_thumb

Noooooooo it can’t end!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on October 06, 2009, 12:39 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

GREAT! no more DOT DOT DOT! haha yay!

Posted by levi-OH-sa, not levio-SA [neville♥myhero] on October 06, 2009, 12:53 PM report to moderator
282600_233804939987291_100000733600249_807455_78180_n_thumb

cant wait like always ha

Posted by Horcruxalej on October 06, 2009, 01:17 PM report to moderator
Picture_324_thumb

I can’t wait for DH.
I love her use of the word “epic.” :)
And it sounds as if the cast and crew are suffering from some Post-Potter Depression…

Posted by Scribbled [WBM] on October 06, 2009, 03:32 PM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

This is so exciting! I am giddy with waiting another year for this, so it better be worth it.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on October 06, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Rh7_thumb

Excellent, I love interviews with the cast and crew and it’s nice to hear from people other than the trio, who I LOVE, but are interviewed etc. so much more…

Posted by bec majec *roar* on October 06, 2009, 08:03 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_70_thumb

So great!! I hope it really is what Helen said it would be. There’s no room for cutting and disappoinment now..

Posted by HBPFan [ITC!] - CatPhoenix14 on October 06, 2009, 11:09 PM report to moderator
Thistletopiary_thumb

Ooooo, how very exciting! I am imagining the whole cast on the set — in the Great Hall?! — reading through the whole amazing story, just yesterday. And Jo usually attends those read-throughs, I think. Yippee!!

Posted by bettb [ITC!] on October 07, 2009, 03:28 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

exciting…

Posted by alegria35 on October 07, 2009, 06:23 AM report to moderator
612_thumb

woohooo! cannot wait. gonna be at the imax with my 3d glasses. EPIC WIN!

Posted by MiliMalfoy [FTC!] on October 07, 2009, 06:27 AM report to moderator
December_loadoff_087_thumb

woop woop . So niice !

Posted by Bella'love ^HISS^ on October 07, 2009, 07:01 AM report to moderator

The whole thing will be worth the wait. Just think you will be able to tell your grandkids that you were there for the whole thing.

Posted by HGROSS44 on October 07, 2009, 06:04 PM report to moderator
Story

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by whitehorse on October 07, 2009, 08:06 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Exciting – I love the commentary!

Posted by Smitch on October 07, 2009, 11:08 PM report to moderator
_gickr

excited for the movie!

woot woot!
yea..cant wait to cry and laugh.:) and let’s see how everyone looks like in the last settlement of hp.

Posted by vampressISap0tter *ROAR* on October 08, 2009, 01:56 AM report to moderator

"...life's too short... Look at Madam Bones, look at Emmeline Vance... It could be me next, couldn't it? But if it is," he said fiercely, now looking straight into Dumbledore's blue eyes gleaming in the wandlight, "I'll make sure I take as many Death Eate