Follow Up: Science of Harry Potter's World Display Now a Traveling Exhibition

Books
October 20, 2009, 09:25 AM

Back in 2008, TLC first told you of a special Harry Potter display, called Harry Potter’s World: Renaissance Science, Magic, and Medicine which "explores Harry Potter’s world, its roots in Renaissance science, and the ethical questions that affected not only the wizards of Harry Potter, but also the historical thinkers featured in the series.” In conjunction with the ALA, three copies of the exhibition are now traveling to various libraries and universities all across the US, with the first of the venues now open to the public in Charleston, IL, Lewisville, TX and New Britain, CT. Many more stops are planned through 2012, with the full schedule now available at this link. Update: Thanks to author Travis Prinzi (thehogshead.org) and reader Jan who let us know there are some dates missing from the schedule, with more available here

This exhibition has some fascinating background and insight on 'real life' things as well as the magical contained within the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling such as Potions, Herbology, Fantastic Beasts, Magical Creatures, and much more. We also encourage you to check out these links (online activities, higher education, middle &high school lesson plans & discussion topics) for additional material. Enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Image

I need to wait until 2012 then go to San Diego.

Posted by magicmaniac on October 21, 2009, 03:23 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Worth going to see…

Posted by Won_Two on October 21, 2009, 03:25 AM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

This seems interesting, can’t wait to check it out.

Posted by Rosie016 on October 21, 2009, 03:26 AM report to moderator
Peeps_thumb

Wow, a travelling exhibit. Sounds quite interesting. Of course, if it’s about Harry Potter I would absolutley adore it, and quite possibly die if I can’t go, but I am running low on money at the moment and saving for LC ’11! w00t!!!

Posted by iWeasley on October 21, 2009, 03:43 AM report to moderator
282600_233804939987291_100000733600249_807455_78180_n_thumb

harry potter even after all the books and movies are done… Sweet

Posted by Horcruxalej on October 21, 2009, 03:59 AM report to moderator

xD Nice!

Posted by humbert0 on October 21, 2009, 04:49 AM report to moderator
Slytherin_girl_thumb

Excellent, but it needs to come to Canada! bounces

Posted by LadySidi on October 21, 2009, 04:52 AM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

Sounds very cool, but it is not science, it is magic. Duh.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on October 21, 2009, 05:39 AM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

Sounds very cool, but it is not science, it is magic. Duh.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on October 21, 2009, 05:42 AM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

Sounds very cool, but it is not science, it is magic. Duh.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on October 21, 2009, 05:48 AM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

hayyy its going to be in ohio a lot of time and i am going to be at them all but to bad it not going to be at ohio intill the ned of next year and the year after

Posted by alicia00 on October 21, 2009, 06:06 AM report to moderator
Harrypottercat_thumb

My dad told me about this a while ago. Apparently he knows someone who works at a library where it was going to be. I never thought about submitting it as news because I thought it was a local thing. Darn it. Oh well, definitely going!

Posted by potter5674 on October 21, 2009, 06:47 AM report to moderator
Animation_thumb

oh cool there are 3 by me i cant wait to go

Posted by lilmisssnape on October 21, 2009, 07:00 AM report to moderator
Lexi_dumbledore_harry_wands_thumb

Cool! I just looked up Charleston, IL and it’s only 2 and 1/2 hour drive away from me, so maybe I’ll go

Posted by Lexi*the*Auror on October 21, 2009, 07:18 AM report to moderator
Lexi_dumbledore_harry_wands_thumb

Posted by Lexi*the*Auror on October 21, 2009, 07:30 AM report to moderator

"I decided to leave behind a diary, preserving my sixteen-year-old self in its pages, so that one day, with luck, I would be able to lead another in my footsteps, and finish Salazar Slytherin's noble work."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014