Updated: Michael Gambon Taken Ill; to be Replaced in UK Stage Production by Richard Griffiths

HP Cast
October 02, 2009, 11:00 AM

UPDATE: TLC has spoken directly to reps for Michael Gambon, who have reassured us that the beloved actor is on the road to recovery from this minor illness, and will be back to work, up and jumping again in a few weeks time. Of special interest to Harry Potter fans is word that yes indeed, Michael Gambon will be able to film his role as the beloved Albus Dumbledore for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows later this fall.

What's On Stage is reporting today that actor Michael Gambon (Professor Dumbledore) has canceled his upcoming appearance in a UK play this fall due to an undisclosed illness. While the appearance of this acclaimed actor on the stage again was widely anticipated, the part will now be performed by fellow Harry Potter actor and Tony award winner Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon). Quotage:

"Michael Gambon has pulled out of the upcoming world premiere of Alan Bennett’s new play The Habit of Art under doctor’s advice while he recovers from an undisclosed minor illness. He will be replaced by Richard Griffiths as poet WH Auden opposite Alex Jennings as composer Benjamin Britten in the production, directed by NT artistic director Nicholas Hytner which is still due to open in the NT Lyttelton on 17 November 2009 (previews from 5 November).  The actor said today: "I’m really disappointed to be pulling out of this play, as I’m temporarily not firing on all cylinders. The timing is very unfortunate, but I have been told to rest for a couple of weeks. This means I must let the show go on without me."

Please join us here at TLC as we wish Mr. Gambon a very speedy recovery.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HP Cast News

Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

so he will be back to film as dumbers? crap

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on October 02, 2009, 01:38 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Oh No… quick get Madame Pomfrey! and Snape so he can make some healing potions!! Call St. Mungo’s! do something!!! lol

Posted by samhinrichs678 (WBM) on October 02, 2009, 01:48 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

Oh noes :S!!! Get well soon! When I read it I read ‘Richard Harris’ and I was like ‘Oh My God!!! He did a Gandalf!!!!’ Uh oh :S

Matt_p_and_mj_thumb

Translation of what @samhinrichs678 said, in case Mr. Gambon does read through this thread:

“Oh No… quick get [a nurse]! and Snape so he can make some [medicine]!! Call [The Hospital]! do something!!! lol”

In all seriousness…have a fast and speedy recovery, Michael!

Posted by MJLeakyCon on October 02, 2009, 01:58 PM report to moderator
Animation_thumb

get well soon

Posted by lilmisssnape on October 02, 2009, 02:38 PM report to moderator
Baron_haru___shall_we_dance____by_jasminealexandra_thumb

get well soon

Posted by Ganduean-Vampiress on October 02, 2009, 02:57 PM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

hope he gets well soon

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on October 02, 2009, 02:57 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

im glad hes getting better. i dont want him to not be able to not be Dumbledore in DH because hes too sick.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on October 02, 2009, 03:02 PM report to moderator
Imgres_1__thumb

I hope he get’s well soon
But honestly, I’m sure they’d make sure he was in DH

Posted by mjkalldaway (ROAR) on October 02, 2009, 03:03 PM report to moderator
Imgres_1__thumb

sunlitdays what is that supposed to mean? I’m not the biggest fan of Gambon either but you have to want him to be back as Dumbledore in the movies!

Posted by mjkalldaway (ROAR) on October 02, 2009, 03:05 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

i hope he gets well

Posted by alicia00 on October 02, 2009, 03:33 PM report to moderator

Glad to see such positive comments, I was half expecting to see the usual crap that is on such threads.

Personally he’s one of my favourite actors and I love his Dumbledore. He is truly brilliant on the stage. I saw him last year alongside David Bradley (Filch) who btw was also brilliant in the play.

I hope it really isn’t too serious and that he is up and about in a few weeks.

Posted by anne1 on October 02, 2009, 03:38 PM report to moderator
Untitled-4_thumb

Get well soon sir!

Posted by mini bagel on October 02, 2009, 03:42 PM report to moderator
Mr_bean__thumb

good luck to both of them!

Posted by hermionenluna TZS ROAR! on October 02, 2009, 03:52 PM report to moderator
Picture_1_thumb

Aw get better!

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on October 02, 2009, 04:29 PM report to moderator

"I wasn't paying attention," said Myrtle dramatically. "Peeves upset me so much I came in here and tried to [i]kill[/i] myself. Then, of course, I remembered that I'm -- that I'm --"[br]"Already dead," said Ron helpfully.