Robbie Coltrane Prepares to Film as Hagrid for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Coltrane
October 12, 2009, 08:04 PM

As many of the adult cast are returning to film their parts for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, there are new comments from Robbie Coltrane who portrays Hagrid. Set to film for the final time in his role as the beloved groundskeeper of Hogwarts, Robbie Coltrane speaks to the thought of completing the series, and notes "I think the last few days are gonna be quite tough," the actor told the Radio Times. "It's funny; I was talking to a few of the adults (on set) about this. And we were all going - 'Yeah, it's gonna be tough on the kids ...' Then eventually we were all, to a man and woman, saying: 'Yeah, it's gonna be pretty tough for me too ...' "  One thing he will not miss however, is wearing the giant sized bear he sports in each of the movies, and says "It's all horrible. But at the end of the day, they take it off and then two girls come down to my trailer with a pot of hot oil - really - they dissolve the beard, rub my face with oil, then rub it down with hot face cloths." Update: Thanks much to TLC reader Roonwit, we can now see the entire Radio Times article here in our galleries.

Earlier this week there was another interview with actor in the Daily Record, who elaborated on completing Potter stating "I regret the ending of Harry Potter for the obvious reasons of saying goodbye to a bunch of people with whom I've become very friendly over the years, but also because I will be giving up a regular income.You don't get too much of that in the world of acting."

The 59-year-old is equally worried for his young Potter co-stars. Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grinch [sic], as well as a host of other actors, have grown up on the sets of the film adaptations of JK Rowlings books.Rutherglen-born Robbie says: "For them the conclusion of the films will be like leaving school, saying goodbye to friends and going out into the big, wide world. "It's a huge step and it wouldn't be surprising if some of them, at least, felt nervous about making it."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Coltrane News

Avatars_movies_misc_001_thumb

Aww…it makes me sad to think about this coming to an end….but we have no choice. Hopefully they all just do the last book justice in the last 2 movies…that’s all I can hope for.

Posted by stenojoz on October 14, 2009, 02:07 AM report to moderator
Lily_evans_and_severus_snape_by_aura3107_thumb

I’m extremely sad that HP is coming to an end… I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself with nothing to wait to come out:(

Posted by JessSnape on October 14, 2009, 02:10 AM report to moderator
Cropped_thumb

Why are we talking about end?! How can Hagrid end for us ? he lives and will always live in our hearts!!!

Posted by ~ Asi ~ on October 14, 2009, 02:54 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

This is a great article by Robbie Coltrane. I just love Hagrid and, Robbie Coltrane has always portrayed him perfectly. I am so sad (and pretty much in denial) about The End Of All Things so, how much worse it must be for the cast and crew of HP, especially for the younger actors who have lived and worked for such a big part of their lifes on the HP movie sets and in the studios.

Posted by Moose_Starr on October 14, 2009, 03:13 AM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

Just reading all of these comments makes me sad!! And a lot of people are lucky because they grew up with the books (I wish!) but I just joined on way after DH came out! ; (

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on October 14, 2009, 05:32 AM report to moderator
Darkside_thumb

THATS what Hagrid looks like under all of that 3Danimation?!
lol

Posted by Esmeralda.ROARღ on October 14, 2009, 05:45 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

I can’t wait to see the film but the same time it so sad it coming to an end.

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on October 14, 2009, 05:53 AM report to moderator
27112008419_thumb

nice thoughts of hagrid….i willalso miss the cast of HP….

Posted by jayrkreisler on October 14, 2009, 05:59 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_chamber_of_secrets_019_thumb

its so great that the adults were so attached and enjoyed the series enough that they will not enjoy filming the movies anymore. and even if this wasnt a good article, who DOESNT love mr. coltrane

Posted by alien invader on October 14, 2009, 07:31 AM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

cool cant whate to c the movie

Posted by alicia00 on October 14, 2009, 07:42 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

it’s gonna be the end of an era when part 2 is finished :(

Rainingmen_thumb

The trick for the trio will be to differentiate themselves from Harry, Ron and Hermione as much as possible in order to see longevity in their acting careers – and thankfully, all have begun to do so (Dan w/ Equus, Hermione w/Ballet Shoes and Rupert w/Cherrybomb). Just like television stars on long standing hits, much of the public will see them ONLY as the characters that made them famous – so their job is to change that perception. I have faith in them. As for the older actors, they’ve been down this road before and will fare well. Robbie is eloquent and I will definitely miss him as our beloved Hagrid!!!

Posted by BwaySaint on October 14, 2009, 08:28 AM report to moderator
Dsc05228_thumb

wonderful little article, i really hope that they film the goodbyes so that the fans who have been there from the beginning will be able to experience the conclusion in its entirety.

Posted by ProfKnight on October 14, 2009, 08:33 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__2__professor_sprout_slughorn_mcgonagall_flitwick_cartoon_thumb

It will be sad when the end is near…there would be no movies or books to look forward to anymore…

Posted by NipintheAir on October 14, 2009, 08:57 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

happy for the book being a film.. sad that it will soon end…

Posted by alegria35 on October 14, 2009, 09:08 AM report to moderator

"Look, here come more now... You two must really smell..."[br]Harry turned. No fewer than six or seven thestrals were picking their way through the trees now, their great leathery wings folded tight to their bodies, their eyes gleaming through the darknes

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014