Toby Jones to Provide Voice of Dobby the House Elf Again for "Deathly Hallows"

DH Film
January 09, 2009, 11:40 AM

In September of last year, Harry Potter film producer David Heyman spoke to TLC about the previous cuts of the House Elves from the films, and their possible return for the two Deathly Hallows movies. At the time David Heyman told us that "it has been a while, for example, since we have seen Dobby and I suspect we are going to have to make more of Dobby in Seven than we might have done. there would be a return of things previously mentioned, like Dobby the House Elf. Today, the Telegraph reports on the career of Toby Jones and states that the actor will "soon be back in the recording studio for the next Harry Potter, in which he voices Dobby the House Elf."

Mr. Jones is then quoted as saying, "That was another job he got on the back of The Play What I Wrote. ''I was so tired, and my voice was so broken up, that when I went to audition, I reached registers I simply couldn't now. It was all very fortuitous.''

Production on two parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows begins next month in London, England for a 54 week shoot, with DH part one to be released in November of 2010.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

dcrazmo

Max:
I’ve loved the films, and have felt that, for the most part, they are marvelous distillations of the books. I do agree, though, that too much was left of “Phoenix,” particularly all the particulars about the prophecy. How could they have cut out that it was Snape who reported it to Voldemort? To me, that’s not an unimportant plot point. Tonks & Lupin? While I get that fans think they’re a neat couple, and that it’s important that they get together, it doesn’t effect the plot if they don’t. What the films have focused always focused on, as well they should is Harry’s journey.

Posted by dcrazmo on January 09, 2009, 04:15 PM report to moderator
dcrazmo

“…particularly all the particulars…?” How embarrassing!!

Posted by dcrazmo on January 09, 2009, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Praty

I know that Jo and the filmakers will not kill Neville on the films never!! I was kidding… because Neville replace Dobby in Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix!!

And I don’t like this… ;)

Posted by Praty on January 09, 2009, 04:18 PM report to moderator
Natalie

YESSSSSSS

Posted by Natalie on January 09, 2009, 04:27 PM report to moderator
hambro

Can’t wait to see the new improved dobby, do you think he will look the same or have a new design?

Posted by hambro on January 09, 2009, 04:30 PM report to moderator
Martha

“To add to some of my concerns, the Harry Potter writers have been debating rather or not to have Teddy be in the Deathly Hallows movie, or if Remus and Tonks should even get married.”

Oh, no. Lupin and Tonks have to get married and have Teddy and then die! Of course, Teddy doesn’t play an important role in the plot, but the orphaning of Teddy at the end of the series echoes the orphaning of Harry at the beginning of the series, so it has a great emotional impact, even if it’s not essential for the overall plot. Of course, the non-book reading movie audience won’t necessarily care much about Lupin and Tonks’ deaths anyway since Lupin only plays a significant role in the PoA film (and has very brief appearances in the OotP and HBP films and his relationship with Tonks is never mentioned at all, according to the review from the person who has already seen the film) and Tonks only has brief appearances in OotP and HBP and the movie audience knows essentially nothing about her personality or her relationship to the Black family. All OotP showed us was that she is kind of silly and that she’s in the Order. That’s it. Obviously Lupin and Tonks’ deaths, if they are included at all, will have far less emotional impact, if any, on the movie only audience. And Teddy might be completely irrelevant to them. Oh, please WB, give Lupin and Tonks the tragic deaths they deserve! And their deaths won’t be as tragic without Teddy. And does that mean they are definitely not changing Bill and Fleur’s wedding to Lupin and Tonks’, as many people suspected they would? Will they have a wedding at all then? Because it seems extremely unlikely that they will introduce a whole new character (Bill), reintroduce Fleur, have them get married and expect their wedding to have any emotional impact on the movie watchers (in my opinion, it didn’t have much emotional impact even in the book because Bill and Fleur weren’t characters we knew well enough.)

Yay for bringing Dobby back, though. Now I just want confirmation that Kreacher will be back too. I doubt it, though. They will probably cut or, at least, horribly butcher the whole Regulus subplot anyway so then Kreacher won’t be necessary to the plot, especially since he didn’t take the locket, or do much of anything, in the OotP movie like he was supposed to. I don’t trust WB to do anything right anymore. Their plan seems to be to eliminate everything that is not absolutely essential to the overall plot.

RIP Lupin, Tonks, and Dobby!

Posted by Martha on January 09, 2009, 04:42 PM report to moderator
radish_earrings

Hooray! I miss you Dobby, rest in peace.

Posted by radish_earrings on January 09, 2009, 05:24 PM report to moderator
taylor

hmm. i love dobby from the books (you live on forever in my heart) but idk. i wasnt wild about him in SS. granted i havent seen the movie for a while and may have diferent judgements, but i thought dobbys part wasnt done the best. ya know? idk. will have to see

Posted by taylor on January 09, 2009, 06:18 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

I really love Dobby in the movie and book. And now he will be back!…to be killed..sniff, I don’t know whether to be glad or upset!

Posted by Professor Potter on January 09, 2009, 06:48 PM report to moderator
celia

VERY exciting news!!! I’m so happy they’re bringing him back!!!

Posted by celia on January 09, 2009, 08:03 PM report to moderator
Dobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squee!!!!!!!!! I missed dobby! But how will they write him back in I wonder? I thought they’d need him to look out for Draco along with Kreacher but then again, they could easily sidestep that and have Neville stumble upon the answer like in OotP with the Room of Requirement. Just sad they have him for the film he dies in. :-( I don’t the people who only watch the film will be as emotionaly attached seeing as he was just nuisance to harry in CoS. Squee!

Posted by Dobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on January 09, 2009, 08:12 PM report to moderator
MissHagrid

It seems to me that they would have Kreacher in DH as when they were thinking of cutting him out of OotP, Jo warned them that it would make the DH plot very difficult if they left him out. So I would think that they included him in OotP because they would need him in DH.

Posted by MissHagrid on January 09, 2009, 08:37 PM report to moderator
Lupin Potter

YAY!!!! That’s great news!!!

Posted by Lupin Potter on January 09, 2009, 09:31 PM report to moderator
kdpotter

Awesome!!! I want those movies NOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Posted by kdpotter on January 09, 2009, 10:48 PM report to moderator
Potterfan

yes this means there maybe gonna stick the book 4 once i really hope so

Posted by Potterfan on January 09, 2009, 10:59 PM report to moderator

...holding it before him like a bomb, [he] sprinted out of the hall, while the Slytherin table exploded with laughter at the sight of him. They heard the Howler go off in the entrance hall -- Neville's grandmother's voice, magically magnified to a hundred

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014