The Bravest Man I Ever Knew

Character Birthdays
January 09, 2009, 06:09 AM

Today, the calendar on JKRowling.com marks another birthday, but for us here at Leaky, this marks a day meant for reflection, remembrance and perhaps even celebration of a character who so vividly filled the pages of the Harry Potter series.  To some, this character will remain  a nasty, unpleasant man, a villain, others love and adore this complex and fascinating character who still merits long discussion in our fandom. To Harry, he was, quite simply,  the bravest man he ever knew.

Happy Birthday, Severus Snape!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Character Birthdays News

hpfan101

OMG I FORGOT HIS BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! anyway happy birthday we love u!!!!!!

Posted by hpfan101 on January 09, 2009, 05:33 PM report to moderator
Pam

Severus Snape is one of the most interesting and complex charactors in literary history. We do not like him, he is too cruel to the students to allow that, but we love him for his bravery and his loyalty. We can only wonder what his life would have been like had he been sorted into Gryffindor with Lily.
A toast to “the bravest man I ever knew.”

Posted by Pam on January 09, 2009, 05:34 PM report to moderator
maggie

Happy Birthday Severus Snape. Thank you for being such a wonderfully complex character. You are the bravest person I know too

Posted by maggie on January 09, 2009, 05:37 PM report to moderator
Mimblewimble

I wonder what would have happened if he could have somehow let McGonagall know his true alliegances at the end of DH, instead of being unceremoniously thrown out of the castle. He always seemed to have the worst luck throughout his entire life. Not that he didn’t have issues. He should have brewed himself up some felix.

Posted by Mimblewimble on January 09, 2009, 05:50 PM report to moderator
Martha

“I think he stole the last 2 books from Harry!”

I completely agree.

“JK should have written the series about Severus instead”

Yep, I’ve always thought it would be amazing if she rewrote the series from Snape’s point of view. What a fascinating, although terribly tragic, story that would be. There are still so many unanswered questions about him and things that are unclear. I would love to hear his story from his own point of view. I mean, even in “The Prince’s Tale”, we only see what he did and said, but we don’t really get to see all his thoughts and emotions and hear his own explanation of his behavior and feelings. That would be utterly fascinating to read. Of course, it’s been done in fan fiction a million times, so I guess we’ll have to settle for that, especially since Rowling doesn’t seem to like Snape much and if she ever does write another HP book, it won’t be about Snape. She has even said that if she did, it would probably be about Harry’s son Albus, who despite his middle name, doesn’t seem very Snape-like, but who knows?

Posted by Martha on January 09, 2009, 05:55 PM report to moderator
Eva Hedwig Happy Birthday Severus, you are not my fav but I recognize that without you the books wouldn’t be that interesting. I ask you when beeing reborn to please be nicer to students if you become a teacher again. I wouldn’t like to sit in your class seeing you bulling students all the time.
Posted by Eva Hedwig on January 09, 2009, 06:22 PM report to moderator
LunaB

Sue, I love the way you describe Snape! Its all totally true, and whether you love him or love to hate him, he is a a character we can all learn a lesson from.

Posted by LunaB on January 09, 2009, 06:31 PM report to moderator
nottelling

I STILL HATE YOU, SNAPE!!!

Posted by nottelling on January 09, 2009, 06:38 PM report to moderator
Hermionewannabe

solemly
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM MR. HAMMER.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
Thanks Sev, for being the hardest type of brave that you can be.

Posted by Hermionewannabe on January 09, 2009, 06:48 PM report to moderator
Sibylle

Happy Birthday Severus Snape!

Grate Character, I loved to hate him!

Greets from Switzerland

Posted by Sibylle on January 09, 2009, 06:56 PM report to moderator
Rkt

Happy Birthday Severus!

Posted by Rkt on January 09, 2009, 07:24 PM report to moderator
E.S. the Marauder

Happy Birthday Snape, love you!! I never doubted you!

Posted by E.S. the Marauder on January 09, 2009, 08:14 PM report to moderator
Athena Malfoy

Happy Birthday Snape we all love you….

Posted by Athena Malfoy on January 09, 2009, 08:27 PM report to moderator
PadfootLover

I remembered this morning!! Happy Birthday, Severus Snape!!! He is one of my favorite characters and I never stopped trusting him! Prince’s Tale had me in tears and it is nice to know that he cared for Harry after all!! I love you!!! Cheers to the Half-Blood Prince, the bravest man I ever knew!!!

PadfootLover

Posted by PadfootLover on January 09, 2009, 09:06 PM report to moderator
SnapeGirl530

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my favorite greasy grumpy wizarding curmudgeon professor! And thank you Josephine for reminding me. My head is stuck in a book and I didn’t even know the date.

I have many happy memories of defending this beloved character on these boards. I couldn’t be happier to see how Jo Rowling honored him in “Deathly Hallows”.

Hi Elladora! (I’m sure you are here somewhere.) All the best!

Posted by SnapeGirl530 on January 09, 2009, 09:17 PM report to moderator

[i]1. What is Gilderoy Lockhart's favorite color?[br]2. What is Gilderoy Lockhart's secret ambition?[br]3. What, in your opinion, is Gilderoy Lockhart's greatest achievement to date?[br]... 54. When is Gilderoy Lockhart's birthday, and what would his idea