The Bravest Man I Ever Knew

Character Birthdays
January 09, 2009, 06:09 AM

Today, the calendar on JKRowling.com marks another birthday, but for us here at Leaky, this marks a day meant for reflection, remembrance and perhaps even celebration of a character who so vividly filled the pages of the Harry Potter series.  To some, this character will remain  a nasty, unpleasant man, a villain, others love and adore this complex and fascinating character who still merits long discussion in our fandom. To Harry, he was, quite simply,  the bravest man he ever knew.

Happy Birthday, Severus Snape!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Character Birthdays News

wilson

Severus, I’ve known you in many other people. There is no courage in abusing the small and weak. There is no honor in being the biggest bully on the playground. Carrying your failures with you for all of your life is called, “never growing up”. No wonder you compete with little children. That’s how big your mind is.

Posted by wilson on January 09, 2009, 11:21 AM report to moderator
muzical

Happy Birthday to Snape.

(agrees with pottershrink, he may be brave, but I still don’t like him) :-(

Posted by muzical on January 09, 2009, 11:30 AM report to moderator
Rhiannon

Happy Birthday to my favorite “villian”. You are indeed the bravest man and one of the most complex literary characters of all time. Happy Birthday Half Blood Prince!

Posted by Rhiannon on January 09, 2009, 11:31 AM report to moderator
dcrazmo

Hey, I get the whole bully thing, and can’t completely argue with those who have problems with Snape…but…if Harry can forgive, so can we, no? Isn’t that part of the message, that people are complicated, and that we don’t always understand what’s going on in their hearts. Good people act badly at times. It’s the Umbridges we really have to watch out for: the vipers who lull us into a false sense of security with sweetness and light.

Posted by dcrazmo on January 09, 2009, 11:38 AM report to moderator
Adnan

Happy Birthday Severus Snape! That memorium was really good sue, I almost cried. It’s not only to Harry, to all of us here at leaky, Snape is the bravest man we ever knew.

Posted by Adnan on January 09, 2009, 11:39 AM report to moderator
brucebat

Happy Birthday, My Sweet Prince.

Posted by brucebat on January 09, 2009, 11:48 AM report to moderator
wingardium

Happy Birthday Snivellus ya greasy oul hero ya! :-)

And to all who share his birthday.

Posted by wingardium on January 09, 2009, 12:06 PM report to moderator
Eeyore

Very well said, Sue. I think of all the characters in Harry Potter, Severus Snape was the one I found most fascinating. Not because I thought he was nice or would have wanted him for a neighbor. But because he was so complex. As I read Deathly Hallows, I remember hoping that he would not turn out to just be the nasty character that I thought he was in the first two books.

I sometimes think that JKR created more than she intended in the character of Severus Snape. But in doing so, she gave us the most enigmatic character of all, one that we discussed endlessly and one that is still discussed even now that we know the end of the story.

Pat

Posted by Eeyore on January 09, 2009, 12:07 PM report to moderator
sarahjbirkin

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PROFFESOR…. bravest man we ever knew!. i never lost faith in you, and thanks for being our potions master for all those years….. and being one of my fave caracters :)

LUV yer SEV…. CHEERS!! :)

Posted by sarahjbirkin on January 09, 2009, 12:43 PM report to moderator
yumyum

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! He’s better than that Harry Potter berk.

Posted by yumyum on January 09, 2009, 12:49 PM report to moderator
MissPotter

Happy Birthday Sev !!<3 I will always remember you , and I completly changed my mind about you when I read Deathly Hallows ! <3

Posted by MissPotter on January 09, 2009, 12:56 PM report to moderator
Donna

Happy Birthday Professor Snape. You are brave, loyal and most definately not a coward.

Posted by Donna on January 09, 2009, 01:02 PM report to moderator
ibelieveinnargles

i love you severus. <3

Posted by ibelieveinnargles on January 09, 2009, 01:10 PM report to moderator
Picazo

Happy Birthday, Severus Snape!

Posted by Picazo on January 09, 2009, 01:19 PM report to moderator
Valerie

I like Pat’s (Eeyore’s) comments. Happy Birthday, dear Severus

Posted by Valerie on January 09, 2009, 01:54 PM report to moderator

"...you're going to have 'trials and suffering' -- sorry about that -- but there's a thing that could be the sun... hang on... that means 'great happiness'... so you're going to suffer but be very happy...."[br]"You need your Inner Eye tested, if you ask