Broadbent on Slughorn in Half-Blood Prince: "A Good Man, A Decent Man, but a Weak Man"

HBP Film
January 09, 2009, 09:33 PM

The LA Times has posted a new feature on actor Jim Broadbent and his role in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. The Oscar winning actor joins the cast this year as Potions professor Horace Slughorn, and Jim Broadbent says of his character: "a good man, a decent man, but a weak man." Jim Broadbent goes on to praise the trio of Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint ("so contained and brilliant and professional,") and also has high marks for the care and dedication to the original source material found in the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling. Quotage:

"I saw the first film when it came out, and it was so brilliantly conceived," Broadbent said. "You read the book and then you see the film and every moment you think, 'That is exactly how I imagined it.' It was not absolutely faithful because you cannot be when you take it to film, but the feel and look of it was terribly meticulous. That care led to this great success. The reading audience has been satisfied with it and wanted more and gone along with it."

As released last year and just recently, you can see several high res photos of Jim Broadbent as Professor Slughorn here, here, here and here via our image galleries.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be released July 17, 2009. Thanks Kristina!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

hambro

I like Jim’s opinion on the character, so it gives the me the impression he knows what he is doing with Slughorn and the character. I have to say, I didn’t imagine him like that, but that’s fine. I imagined him as a fat chineese man for some reason. Anyway, I always like that graduation hat they put on him, good idea…

Posted by hambro on January 10, 2009, 04:31 AM report to moderator
m.a boon

correction; the trio of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson.

Posted by m.a boon on January 10, 2009, 05:36 AM report to moderator
Vanessa

“correction; the trio of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson.” by m.a boon. Errr, why do switch the nameplaces if I may ask?

Posted by Vanessa on January 10, 2009, 07:25 AM report to moderator
Will

…..so Emma’s name comes last, of course. Ha. You get used to the anit-Emma crap on these sections after while, sigh………………………………

Posted by Will on January 10, 2009, 07:30 AM report to moderator
ele0206

Great interview. I must admit that he’s not how i imagined Slughorn. In my mind i see a fat man, but, you know, just my opinion. In the end, what is fundamental is the interpratation.

Posted by ele0206 on January 10, 2009, 08:20 AM report to moderator
mimsy

@m.a boon and all the other trolls, their names are listed in order by popularity.

Posted by mimsy on January 10, 2009, 08:29 AM report to moderator
dcrazmo

redbeard: This probably isn’t the forum on which to get into this, but there is something to be said against those who sit back and allow evil to happen without standing up to it…as in WWII. Inaction is easy, comfortable; action hard, messy & dangerous. Ignorance of a law (or the existence of a law) is no legal excuse for breaking it; similarly, a society that allows for the rise of something like Nazism has to be held accountable, even if its individual members may not have been directly linked. There is such a thing as a national psyche. It’s the American national psyche that got us into the economic/mortgage mess, this culture of more more more for less less less. And now we’re all paying the price. Slughorn not acting against evil (and therefore enabling it) may not make him evil himself (as popularly defined), but one could make a great argument for his inaction being as dangerous as the actions of those who actively collaborated…If that makes sense!

Posted by dcrazmo on January 10, 2009, 11:36 AM report to moderator
dcrazmo

BTW, to add to my earlier post, I always got the feeling that that was Rowling’s whole point re the Slughorn character: That inaction is, in itself, a dangerous choice in dire times.

Posted by dcrazmo on January 10, 2009, 11:39 AM report to moderator
mg

I cannot wait for the scene in the movie when Harry, hopped up on the Felix Felicis, gets the final memory from Slughorn. I’m picturing pure brilliance from Jim and Daniel – “She gave me her life, but you won’t give me a memory”. Chills

Posted by mg on January 10, 2009, 11:44 AM report to moderator
Random Person

i think he makes an ok slughorn but needs to be much fatter!

Posted by Random Person on January 10, 2009, 04:43 PM report to moderator
daniel

When I first heard Jim Broadbent was going to play Slughorn, I was very excited. Jim Broadbent is a brilliant actor, Ive loved him in all his recent movies. “Hot Fuzz” and “The Cronicles of Narnia”. When I saw him playing Slughorn, I was a little baffled. Slughorn has a walrus mustache and a big round belly. Our slughorn doesn’t have these, but Jim will play the part perfectly, as he is an incredible character actor. I can’t wait to see the new movie. I hope they don’t delay it further.

Posted by daniel on January 10, 2009, 04:50 PM report to moderator
Redbeard

Well, I do absolutely agree with you dcrazmo. I just can’t help but thinking that I wouldn’t have been more brave in such situations then Slughorn (or nazi Germany for that matter. Just try being brave with a gun to your head. I think Slughorn represents the majority of the people, because honestly, most people would hide away too if they thought their lifes were at stake.
But ofcoarse you’re right, fear doesn’t excuse it.

Posted by Redbeard on January 10, 2009, 06:44 PM report to moderator
dcrazmo

redbeard: Hope I didn’t imply that I would necessarily “do the right thing.” I don’t think I’m any braver than you or anyone else. I live a very comfortable life, and don’t really know how far I’d go to protect that. I can’t imagine — thank God — ever being in the position that people were in during WWII, or that Rowling’s fictional characters found themselves in. I do think that good people make bad decisions, and that their weaknesses don’t automatically make them evil. I’d just love to think that there is in all of us that little bit of courage that would help us go, like Harry, into the woods.

Posted by dcrazmo on January 10, 2009, 10:30 PM report to moderator
Redbeard

Amen to that.

Posted by Redbeard on January 11, 2009, 06:38 AM report to moderator
Susan

wow, that HBP clock is just crawling…I think the next film will be the best of them all, only to be BLOWN out of the water by what they do with Deathly Hallows…God, I can’t wait!!!!!!!!! Good or Bad, Slughorn comes through in the end, just as Dumbledore knew he would….Slytherin folk are none I could call friend I think, but I respect them for coming though in the end! :0)

Posted by Susan on January 13, 2009, 10:18 PM report to moderator

Harry and Ron spent the rest of the ball discussing giants in their corner, neither of them having any inclination to dance. Harry tried not to watch Cho and Cedric too much; it gave him a strong desire to kick something.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014