Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Rated "PG" (Updated: Now on MPAA website)

HBP Film
January 07, 2009, 03:42 PM

A new report is online today, stating a rating has been given to the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Rope of Silicon is reporting that the sixth Harry Potter film has been rated PG for

"scary images, some violence, language and mild sensuality." Update: This has now appeared on the MPAA website, with a definite PG rating.

As readers will recall GoF and OotP have both been rated PG-13, with PoA the last PG rated movie in the series.

Thanks to Rope of Silicon and Kyle

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

??????

?? strikes again! Boyhaaaaaa!!!!!!

Posted by ?????? on January 07, 2009, 06:40 PM report to moderator
Maddie

Not impressed. I mean the Sectumsempra scene supposed to be very bloody! I was really looking forward to that! >:((((((((

Posted by Maddie on January 07, 2009, 06:40 PM report to moderator
??????

mmmm… true… true…

Posted by ?????? on January 07, 2009, 06:42 PM report to moderator
??????

mmmm… true… true…

Posted by ?????? on January 07, 2009, 06:42 PM report to moderator
Saturn

CRAP. HOPE THEY DONT MAKE DH G!!! IT WOULD BE HUMILIATING FOR JK!!

Posted by Saturn on January 07, 2009, 06:43 PM report to moderator
Maggie

So I’m just wondering if the scene with Draco in the bathroom is even being kept in the movie at all, because if it is, there is NO way that this movie can be pg. That part is actually hard to read in the book because you can picture how gruesome it is, and if they tone it down so that little kids can stomach it, then how is that staying true to JK Rowling? UGH I am very sick of WB not doing a very good job with these movies. Of course I will still go see the movie regardless, but I really hope the movie-makers can appreciate the opportunity they have, and not take it lightly!

Posted by Maggie on January 07, 2009, 06:50 PM report to moderator
shae

ummm what about the blood spurting from draco’s chest? what about the inferi?? what about dumbledore’s death? what about ron almost dying from the potion? what about the whold fight scene at the end the cave scene??? it shouldve been PG-13 if they didnt tone anything down. they better not have!!!

Posted by shae on January 07, 2009, 06:50 PM report to moderator
ed

I see dead people! I thought the cave was supposed to be scary. Is is a disney cave or what. PG, maybe they cut all the scary away because none of us would want to sit for a 3 hour movie.

Posted by ed on January 07, 2009, 06:51 PM report to moderator
EMUBari83

It’s up on the MPAA website now. I wasn’t worried about the movie…until now.

Posted by EMUBari83 on January 07, 2009, 06:52 PM report to moderator
judi

i think that to do the sectumsempra scene justice, the movie would have to be at least PG-13.

Posted by judi on January 07, 2009, 06:55 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

After hearing this, I’m putting my money on a G rating for Deathly Hallows.

Posted by KB Prez on January 07, 2009, 06:59 PM report to moderator
Peter_7

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I mean…. I can understand how it would be beneficial for children under the age of thirtheen, like my sister and so…. BUT Half blood prince boasts incredible secuences that happen to be very bloody and violent.

1. Bathroom scene.
2. Inferi
3. Death of dumbledore (not bloody I know, but it’s a death nonetheless).

Knowing it’s PG would make me doubt about how the movie is being portrayed.

Posted by Peter_7 on January 07, 2009, 07:03 PM report to moderator
kira902k

that doesnt sound too good to me…if they feel that it is okay to rate it PG, then they obviously cut REALLY important parts…like death…inferi…battles…and other violent scenes.
personally, i think that the United States always rates the movies way too high, but I doubt they’ve suddenly changed.

Posted by kira902k on January 07, 2009, 07:03 PM report to moderator
mollywobbles

It has been confirmed on MPAA, its rated PG.

Posted by mollywobbles on January 07, 2009, 07:05 PM report to moderator
Katie

I can understand why it would be PG,- WARNING- my explanation contains spoilers because I already saw the movie (Yes, I am one of the luckies who live in Chicago) so continue to read this at your own risk. :D

because the only real gruesome or violent scene in the movie was the cave scene. And that was only cause the inferi were cgi-ed to look dead and zombie-like.

Harry and Draco’s fight scene only resulted in some smashing bathroom equipment and a wet and bloody shirt. (Wet because the sink got smashed.)

Then again alot has changed for film ratings. I remember when a movie that should have been PG became PG-13 because of some swearing or a little blood. Now though, I’ve seen plenty of films that have both of that in PG rated films. So it could be both that the movie was toned down to be acceptable for younger children and that there’s just more that’s acceptable in a PG movie now.

Posted by Katie on January 07, 2009, 07:10 PM report to moderator

He and Cedric both grasped a handle.[br]Instantly, Harry felt a jerk somewhere behind his navel. His feet had left the ground. He could not unclench the hand holding the Triwizard Cup; it was pulling him onward in a howl of wind and swirling color, Cedric