"Half-Blood Prince" Tops MTV Surefire 2009 Blockbuster List

HBP Film
Posted by: Edward
January 07, 2009, 10:15 AM

The upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film is the top Surefire Blockbuster of 2009, according to a new list published by MTV.  The sixth film made first place in a list of the top ten upcoming blockbuster films set for release in this new year.  MTV says the following of the next Harry Potter film:

Every "Potter" film has flirted with a billion dollars worldwide, but will the sixth movie finally cross that sacred plateau? By the time July 17 rolls around, it will have been two years since fans saw their wizard friends onscreen, and many regard "Half-Blood" to be one of the best books in the franchise. Through the first five films, Harry has overseen the most successful movie franchise of all time, and it seems likely that "Prince" will once again crown him king.
Joining Potter, such films as the film adaptation of Angels and Demons, Terminator: Salvation, and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen also made the list.  The complete list of Top 10 Surefire 2009 Blockbusters can be found right here.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be in theaters July 17, 2009.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

ELizabeth

I don’t know if the sales will go over 1 billion but i think it will be the best movie yet.

Posted by ELizabeth on January 07, 2009, 10:24 AM report to moderator
Keith

I think the combined movie gross of Deathly Hallows 1 and 2 will go over 2 billion, which would be counted as one movie record! As for HBP, I think the comedy aspect will help the overall bottom line…it looks brilliant!

Posted by Keith on January 07, 2009, 10:29 AM report to moderator
andrew

All I can say is… I can not wait!!!

Posted by andrew on January 07, 2009, 10:42 AM report to moderator
fred

@Elizabeth

I think you’re wrong, i went to see Oopt 5 times when it was released, that’s how easily they make the money. But i have to agree, this movie will be the best one yet.

Posted by fred on January 07, 2009, 11:18 AM report to moderator
Zeke

I just hope that HP#6 will better than HP#5 which I thought was awful. It was D for dreadful. I hope that HP#6 will be a whole lot better.

Posted by Zeke on January 07, 2009, 12:04 PM report to moderator
Keith

Everyone certainly is entitled to their opinion, but I myself liked OOTP the best. I guess part of it might be because aside from DH, it’s my favorite of the books.

Posted by Keith on January 07, 2009, 12:13 PM report to moderator
adam

if u think wb is dropping sdh due to reccession click here

Posted by adam on January 07, 2009, 12:17 PM report to moderator
adam

dh*

Posted by adam on January 07, 2009, 12:17 PM report to moderator
LemonFaerie

All I can say to this is… “Duh!” Of course it’s Top Ten, I’m surprised it’s not #1 given the competition and how many people love Harry. Cannot WAIT!!!!

Posted by LemonFaerie on January 07, 2009, 12:24 PM report to moderator
LemonFaerie

HA! Scratch that! It IS #!!!! Should have read the list first. :)

Posted by LemonFaerie on January 07, 2009, 12:25 PM report to moderator
potterhead23

Of course HBP was #1, I’m also really excited that Avatar was #2!

Posted by potterhead23 on January 07, 2009, 12:42 PM report to moderator
Liv

I wasn’t that impressed with OotP, although I did see it 3 times at the cinema and it cashed in a LOT. I have high expectations for HBP (also because it was my fav book in the series) and, by what I see now it’s gonna be good and probably cash in mor ethan OotP.

Posted by Liv on January 07, 2009, 01:19 PM report to moderator
tinagin

Darn tootin!

Posted by tinagin on January 07, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator
KanedaX

Sounds about accurate, although I’m surprised they placed Salvation so high on the list. The Terminator franchise has been on the rocks for a few years, and I’m not sure if even Bale will be able to push it into “blockbuster” territory.

There’s a reason they moved HBP into the summer, and that’s because WB’s not comfortable enough with Salvation as its tentpole summer feature.

Also, if any of those movies has the chance to move, it has to be Up. Pixar’s a juggernaut, it could easily pass Avatar and Terminator, and probably Transformers.

Posted by KanedaX on January 07, 2009, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Picazo

I hope it makes a lot. But i cant wait to see it. 6 months…EXCITED!!!!!!!1

Posted by Picazo on January 07, 2009, 01:40 PM report to moderator

"Professor McGonagall told me what awful things have happened when wizards have meddled with time... Loads of them ended up killing their past or future selves by mistake!"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014