Presenting...MyLeaky. Your Harry Potter.

Leaky
Posted by: Melissa
January 30, 2009, 02:47 PM

All right. Let's try this again. Today, Leaky has been radically reshaped forever.

Presenting...MyLeaky. Your Harry Potter.

MyLeaky is now the largest Harry Potter social network on the Web. We have been talking about doing it for years and working on it for many long months and can hardly believe it's finally here.

Leaky has now become your central place for interacting with your Harry Potter friends. Through your profile, you can message your friends, create and join groups and events, and interact in ways that you will find similar, but definitely Potter-ized, to other social networks.

MyLeaky is FULLY integrated into Leaky. You must be a member to leave comments on the site. You will not leave the site while using it.

If you have ever signed up for an account at Leaky, you are already a member. Member of the LeakyLounge? Done. Have a LeakyLogin? Sorted. This means there are already more than 75,000 members waiting to join you online.

But that's the very beginning.

When you first sign in, you will assign yourself a house. Choose wisely, because your house will be like your family at MyLeaky. Nearly everything you do on the site, and on the main Leaky page, and soon to become every other area at Leaky, will earn you points for your house. Top earners will win rewards; we will award house cups, host scavenger hunts, and much, much more.

Also, for the first time EVER, Leaky now has house-colorized skins, which you can only currently access by being a member. These will work nearly site-wide and you can expect more to appear in the future.

Are you in a wizard rock band? Then it's definitely time to sign up at MyLeaky. Wizard rock bands can now have their own specialized profiles, with the ability to upload music, post your upcoming shows, gather fans, and much more. We already have some bands in there who are waiting for your fanship:

Harry and the Potters
The Remus Lupins
The Moaning Myrtles
The Whomping Willows
Tonks and the Aurors
The Mudbloods

And the best part is that MyLeaky is fully customizable, which means this is NOT the end of our development of the program: It is merely the first step. As MyLeaky grows, your input will be vital to its expansion, and to making sure you have a great experience.

Enough from me. If you want to experience MyLeaky yourself, go ahead. Sign in at the top, or here, or register here and join the tens of thousands of Harry Potter fans who are waiting.

We have longed to bring all our users together under something like this for a very long time. We have some people to thank.

All the staff have worked tirelessly on this project; John Noe has provided deisgns and tweaked every graphic and skin, Frak has provided sketches, and Ashley designed our headers. Sue Upton and Doris Herrmann and Nick Rhein provided endless technical (and tactical) support and a handful of dedicated mod testers and wizard rock bands have been helping us iron out the bugs for months.

Over the past few days Nick Poulden almost singlehandedly rescued us from a server overload.

But really, guys, I have to ask you a favor. If you have a moment, before you run over to MyLeaky and start having that ball, can everyone give a large cheer and thanks to Alex Robbin, our resident super programmer? Alex Robbin is 18 years old. He coded MyLeaky from scratch. He has been working to nearly all hours on this for several months, with an intensity and ferocity we've never seen. I've extolled his virtues so many times here, but really, words here really do fail. The only thing we can do is all stand up and cheer, and hope that enough voices join the chorus that it comes even marginally close to expressing how we all feel. You can also now do that via a MyLeaky group for that purpose.

Thank you, Alex.

Now go enjoy MyLeaky, and welcome!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Leaky News

Hey everyone. How do i change my avatar? This picture is kinda scary!

Posted by jeannemclROAR on January 31, 2009, 01:57 PM report to moderator
Herbert_thumb

jeannemci – click on the “profile” tab, then click on “Edit my profile”. You’ll see an option that says “avatar”. You can upload a picture there.

Posted by Dr. LEW on January 31, 2009, 02:08 PM report to moderator
Wizards_chess_3_thumb

This is so awesome! I love the new skins, and I’ve been having a blast just looking around.

Posted by WntrHeart28 on January 31, 2009, 02:37 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

I’ve got SO MUCH work to do, but I just can’t stay away from here. It’s too much fun! Hey Leaky, if I lose my job, can I come work here???

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on January 31, 2009, 02:38 PM report to moderator

This is great! It’s really well done.I like the house point idea. =)

Posted by AccioAmanda ☆WBM☆ on January 31, 2009, 02:52 PM report to moderator
Ringtailedcat_thumb

Thanks for coming up with this, it’s a lot of fun!

Posted by starkitty313 on January 31, 2009, 02:55 PM report to moderator
Da_copy_thumb

I have to say, MyLeaky is like a loving home, full of warmth and wonderful people. Kudos Super Alex, Melissa, Sue and co.

Posted by Professor Potter on January 31, 2009, 03:44 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Melissa, Alex… Thank you soooo much for restoring the Poll Comments page… With all the both of you have had to do lately, your swift attention to our little corner of the Leaky world is greatly appreciated…

Posted by Won_Two on January 31, 2009, 03:59 PM report to moderator

I really like MyLeaky! But I cannot edit my profile or select my house.. :S

Posted by Patricia. on January 31, 2009, 04:05 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Yay :)

Posted by Christine on January 31, 2009, 05:46 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Does anyone know how to choose your house? I log in, but I can’t select Ravenclaw :(

Posted by Christine on January 31, 2009, 06:29 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Oh geez, I’m so stupid. I found out how to select my house. Lol XD

Posted by Christine on January 31, 2009, 06:35 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

AWESOME!!! I was hoping this would happen! :D

Posted by Lorem ipsum on January 31, 2009, 07:09 PM report to moderator
N1304610895_30677522_5676_thumb

Wow, I love this. I might just start spending more time on MyLeaky than on my other social networking sites and forums! :o Thanks, Leaky!

Posted by mehchel on January 31, 2009, 07:19 PM report to moderator
Summer_1_thumb

I love MyLeaky! I’ve been testing it out all evening, and I’ve got a feeling this is going to be another site I spend way too many hours on… It’s like the Facebook I’ve always dreamt of! ;) Thank you so much, guys, everything looks amazing. Alex Robbin: You are a true hero!

Posted by StineS on January 31, 2009, 07:30 PM report to moderator

"But why's she got to go to the library?"[br]"Because that's what Hermione does," said Ron, shrugging. "When in doubt, go to the library."