Updated: Family of Injured Stuntman on Potter Films Issues Statement

HBP Film
January 30, 2009, 09:16 AM

Update: Through representatives, Daniel Radcliffe has asked that everyone note that his comments will remain private between himself and the stunt man.

The family of the stuntman who was seriously injured recently on the set of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has now issued a statement. UK Channel 4 reports that the family of 25 year old David Holmes has issued the following:

"We would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. We are trusting in the expertise of the medical staff who are caring for David and would ask the media to please respect the privacy of our family while we concentrate on helping each other through this difficult time."

The accident occurred earlier this week at Leavesden Studios in London, England where prep work is underway for main photography on the two part Deathly Hallows films which is due to begin on February 15. The stuntman, a long time double for actor Dan Radcliffe in his role as Harry Potter, fell while testing an aerial stunt, injuring his back upon landing on the ground. Dan Radcliffe was not present, as he is still in New York completing his final days in the Broadway production of Equus.

The Mirror  also cites a friend of the injured man as saying:

“They are hoping he will make a full recovery. But it was a nasty injury and it might be some time before they know exactly what they are dealing with.

“He is hoping he hasn’t suffered any really serious permanent damage. He has worked in the film industry long enough to know it can be dangerous. And no matter what precautions are taken, performing stunts always carries a risk. But he has always loved his work and he will be hoping this isn’t the end of his career.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

puckstopper9

Unfortunately, they probably won’t know anything for a while. My prayers are with him and his family. It’s always so scary when something like this happens…

Posted by puckstopper9 on January 30, 2009, 09:27 AM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

Being in the film industry, I know how fragile a stuntman’s profession can be. I hope it’s just swelling, causing the loss of nerve. My prayers, and the prayers of all my friends, are with the family…..this is going to be a trying time. I hope the media respects the family’s wishes. :(

Posted by Confederate Lady on January 30, 2009, 09:31 AM report to moderator
Linds

Although I absolutely love all the stunts in the HP films, this accident really makes you re-evaluate how often dangerous and under-appreciated the work of stunt doubles are. Best wishes to him for a speedy and total recovery and heres hoping no other accidents will result during the rest of production…

p.s. I had to laugh with them mentioning Dan was in NY at the time. As if he could have done something??!!

Posted by Linds on January 30, 2009, 09:34 AM report to moderator
tinagin

Hoping and praying for the best.

Posted by tinagin on January 30, 2009, 09:45 AM report to moderator
Dawn

As everyone else, I am sending all my dearest hopes and wishes for David – good to have a name to put with my prayers. God speed David – we will be eagerly waiting to hear good news.

Posted by Dawn on January 30, 2009, 09:46 AM report to moderator
Aberforth

Indeed my thoughts and prayers are with David and his family.

There was a comment in the earlier thread that he had been moved to Stoke Mandeville hospital, which treats the most serious spinal injuries. But this morning’s reports are saying that he is actually in the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital at Stanmore – still serious but more encouraging than the other would have been.

Posted by Aberforth on January 30, 2009, 10:14 AM report to moderator
Lady Cake

Well that’s a good sign. My thoughts and prayers go to him and his family. I pray for a full and speedy recovery.

Posted by Lady Cake on January 30, 2009, 10:20 AM report to moderator
Kirk

My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Hopefully he is able to make a full recovery and resume living the life he would like to!

Posted by Kirk on January 30, 2009, 10:23 AM report to moderator
brucebat

I’m hoping for a full recovery for David! Sending good wishes to him and his family!

Posted by brucebat on January 30, 2009, 10:29 AM report to moderator
radcakesfan

To Linds, it’s not so much what Dan could have done, it’s that a lot of people don’t necessarily know that Dan was not there. One of the papers, the Sun or Mirror?, had it on the front page taking up half the space with the headlines screaming something like “Harry Potter hurt in explosion” in capital letters with a picture of Dan and only in smaller print that it was the stuntman hurt. A lot of the headlines were just like that, The Mirror has “PRAYERS FOR HARRY POTTER” in white with stuntman in smaller letters and in red. It’s just to grab the public’s attention.
Anyways hope his news is good and soon. Best wishes for him and his loved ones.

Posted by radcakesfan on January 30, 2009, 10:57 AM report to moderator
taylor

wow i didnt realize it was this serious! and ooh now we know what it was for, pix for deatly hallows. sweet!!!!!

Posted by taylor on January 30, 2009, 11:06 AM report to moderator
BellaSnape

Get well soon David, and I hope its not siriusly bad. We still dont know a whole lot, but his family wants the privacy so that is understandable. I dont think we have to go as far as to say this is a curse of on the Harry Potter set. Im sure the rest of the filming will turn out fine. I just hope that Dan has more than one stunt double if things go wrong, which I pray they dont. As someone said on the other form a persons legs and spine are very fragile.

Posted by BellaSnape on January 30, 2009, 11:51 AM report to moderator
Alison aka Noble Birth Descending

My thoughts and prayers for a return to good health.

Posted by Alison aka Noble Birth Descending on January 30, 2009, 11:51 AM report to moderator
Serge Gingras

I hope this young man will fully recover. Too bad that magic can’t come to his help. The real world is very dangerous.

I am relieved that he is at the less seriously injured hospital. There is hope.

Posted by Serge Gingras on January 30, 2009, 12:14 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

I will continue to keep him in my prayers, now by name. My family offered our rosary last night for him and we will keep it up. I really want to send a Get Well Soon card. Leaky, is there any way to coordinate something from the fandom??

Posted by eiVega on January 30, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator

"My gran says that's rubbish," piped up Neville. "She says it's the [i]Daily Prophet[/i] that's going downhill, not Dumbledore. She's canceled our subscription. We believe Harry," he said simply... "My gran's always said You-Know-Who would come back one d

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014