Dan Radcliffe Says NO Thanks to Harry Potter, The Musical

Radcliffe
January 03, 2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks to our Order partner Dan Radcliffe. com, we know of a new video interview with actor Dan Radcliffe via Broadway.com. In a delightful series of question and answers, Dan says that he is a huge cartoon fan (loves SpongeBob SquarePants), talks about his Equus work schedule, living in New York city, and says most decidedly NO to ever wanting to be in a Harry Potter musical. He goes at length on this particular subject, showing light-hearted but clear dismay at the thought of such a project, noting this is not what the series is about and he hopes it does not happen ("it would not have my blessing let's just say"). Dan Radcliffe also confirms again that he will begin filming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on February 15.

On a related note, Dan listed his favorite things of the year, noting such things as his favorite tv show ("Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report, definitely) film of the year ( I really liked Burn After Reading. I think it's going to be eclipsed when I see Milk. My dad saw it the other day and said it was amazing, and we have exactly the same taste) and moment of the year ("Being here when Obama got [voted] in. I thought, 'Wow, I feel so privileged to be in the country at this moment.' Then I turned [the TV] over to FOX News and watched them all cry." ) For those that missed it earlier, readers of the same Broadway.com site had voted Dan 'Star of the Year' in a online poll.

Thanks to DanRadcliffe.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Kate

CarolynJ, I also love EnglishLitMajor’s comment, but I disagree with him/her about one thing. I believe some of the wording used by PotterFanInHouston has been little used since the 19th century!

Personally I have no problem with what Dan Radcliffe said. The idea that actors should not publicly express their political opinions is “palpable nonsense”! Whatever that means. I disagree with Rush Limbaugh on just about every issue, but do I think he should be silenced?? NO. That would “reveal a disappointing level of political bigotry that one wishes would not have come from a Potter” fan.

Posted by Kate on January 04, 2009, 08:19 PM report to moderator
??????

Do you (Danial Radcliffe) like the NEW Spongebob or the OLD Spongebob? If you say new then shame on you! The old series (all before season 4 and some at the start of season 4) is much better! My favorite is season 3 (it was the funniest.
A Harry Potter musical would be nice, Dan wouldn’t be my choose of Harry Potter. I mean they’s start with one and go on from their: that would roughly be 3 Harry’s, discluding subs. Dan is far to old to play Harry 1. And by the Time they’d need him he’d be too old anyways.
My feeling is it would be more of an opera (with Comedy). What would the songs be like? Maybe for the Goblet of Fire, they could have a song about the sequence where Moody, Snape (Go Snape!), Professor Minerva… um… and Dumbldore are in Dumledore’s office discussing whether or not he should be allowed. _ _ _ _ _ _
o/ o/ o/ "HE"S JUST A BOY!!!" o/ o/ o/

Posted by ?????? on January 04, 2009, 08:24 PM report to moderator
Kaity

Ewwwwww, why did he have to go into the political stuff? He’s not even a citizen! It was completely unnecessary that he’d bring that up in the interview.. tisk tisk.

Posted by Kaity on January 04, 2009, 08:29 PM report to moderator
H

I agree with ?? that Dan would not be my first choice to play Harry on Broadway. I like him in the movies; but a musical would need to be completely different to be special. And whatever your political viewpoints are it is historic that America elected a Black president. The whole world was watching, I think Dan has every right to say his opinion. I would think the same thing if he was for the Republicans.

Posted by H on January 04, 2009, 09:10 PM report to moderator
Olivia

Kaity… not being a citizen doesn’t mean you can’t have an opinion. As to it being unncecessary, he was asked a question and gave an honest answer. He shouldn’t have to keep his opinions quiet just because he’s a celebrity.

As for saying it was cool to be in America during a historical election being “bigotry”… I don’t even know how to respond to that.

Posted by Olivia on January 04, 2009, 09:53 PM report to moderator
Witchchylde

Hah, me and Dan did the same thing on election night! Well, only because my mom’s got a Fox News fixation.

Posted by Witchchylde on January 04, 2009, 09:54 PM report to moderator
dea

my two cents, Dan and PotterFaninHouston were entitled to their own opinion and so as everybody…harry potter the musical sounds funny to me but we’ll never know what magic they can do in theater,a lot of creative people in that business so if they can come up with something good for sure i’ll be watching it…

Posted by dea on January 04, 2009, 10:34 PM report to moderator
Cat

For those of you who don’t think how other countries think of us- it sure affected this election and the past few (Bush needed those scare tactics to win). And as for those of you who think we’re “spiraling into socialistm”, our country was founded on many socialist principles. So if you’re convinced we’d become a socialist nation under Obama, well you haven’t been doing your reading. Just because something is socialist doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad…in fact I know you’ve been reaping the benefits.

Posted by Cat on January 04, 2009, 11:28 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix's parole officer

I think every concerned world citizen (not just a US citizen) should be concerned at whom is elected to lead a superpower. I’m equally concerned as to who leads China and Russia. As someone who is Australian, I can tell you that who the leader of the US is, has a huge impact on us. Your trade policies, international policies, domestic consumption laws etc all impact and ripple around the world. We are all interconnected and certainly the recent financial crisis has shown this in ample degree.

Posted by Bellatrix's parole officer on January 05, 2009, 12:43 AM report to moderator
Cat

I also want to know if he can sing or not.AWESOME choice, AWESOME interview and its AWESOME that they will be filming DH in Feb.

Posted by Cat on January 05, 2009, 01:46 AM report to moderator
...

What the hell is wrong with you people?

I’m not American, but I am PRETTY DAMN SURE that we are talking about the country that is friggen OBSESSED with Free Speech?!

You know, to have an ‘opinion’, even if you disagree with it?

And yes, believe it or not, but America’s massive ego about itself is true – what affects America affects the world, a la financial crises, war on bloody terror – hell, in my country we have laws on television entertainment that require the mass percentage of shows to be American!!

Dan just spoke his opinion on being lucky enough to be in the US during such a historic time, whereas millions around the world had to settle with watching it on their televisions. Nearly everyone has an opinion on this election – seriously, why is this an issue again??

Posted by ... on January 05, 2009, 07:06 AM report to moderator
anne

very well said, Bellatrix’s parole officer!
Yes every nation is discussing the American election result and what it means to them, politically and economically. As someone whose husband is currently working in the Middle East I can verify that it is especially true in that region!

Posted by anne on January 05, 2009, 07:24 AM report to moderator
bebe

To those who asked if Dan can sing, just look up his parody of Equus on Youtube, which he did for a benefit called Gypsy of the Year. He can certainly sing. The dancing he did for it is pretty simple stuff, but that was okay. The whole thing was very funny.

Oh, and he wrote the song too.

p.s. don’t look if you don’t have a Monty Python type sense of humour and can’t tolerate any homoeroticism.

Posted by bebe on January 05, 2009, 08:56 AM report to moderator
kay

thankyou … you put it very well. granted, i might not have said it exactley like that, but something along those lines.

Posted by kay on January 05, 2009, 04:09 PM report to moderator
reepicheep

People, people…Most Americans are not oblivious to the fact that our leaders and their decisions affect other countries around the world. We acknowledge the fact that no matter what we do, as a superpower, someone in the world will be dissatisfied with our decisions. If two countries are fighting, and one country wants us to intervene, and the other doesn’t, we will inevitably end up being hated by one side no matter what we do. Half the world thinks we’re an international bully and want us to completely remove ourselves and our culture from their sight, the other half wants us to give them aid and military support. That’s the horrible thing about being a superpower…if we were a tinier country, we could focus our money and resources on things like education, health care, etc…we wouldn’t have to have a massive military presence. We wouldn’t be expected to go marching into other countries, and for every country that thinks we are an invading bully, another thinks we are a saving grace. I personally love the fact that Barrack Obama is our president now, but he will still have to make decisions that parts of the world will not like, believe it or not…his job is not to kiss the behinds of Europe, Asia, and the Middle-East…the same way all of you wouldn’t dare want your leaders to be docile and subservient towards America. This is all rather off topic, but whenever someone makes a statement against America or American policies, there are always idiots who take the opportunity to respond to those statements in a childish or egotistical way, causing people from other countries to get even more vehement and chiding towards America, simply because a vocal minority has ticked them off. All Dan Radcliffe said was that he was happy to be in America when Obama was elected (as were many Americans, for all you other countries…why do you think he WON the election? Because of you? WE voted for him.) Dan also said he doesn’t necessarily like Fox News…and neither do many Americans…do you think we all get our news from one source? I was actually watching the BBC coverage that night, so there. The fact that Dan is probably a liberal-minded young man is no big surprise, anyone could gather that from his past interviews…and that’s okay. It’s also okay to be a conservative, or an independent. And will all of you fellow human beings from other countries please, please, PLEASE stop using terms like “you people”! We are not one single entity with a hive-mind. The very fact that our recent elections have been so close shows that we are varied in our political and moral viewpoints. Americans are not people who all popped out of U.S. soil 230 years ago…we have ancestors and relatives in all of your countries…we were not all here when the Revolutionary War happened, or slavery was running rampant, or the Native Americans were nearly wiped out. My family, like many other families, came over at the turn of the century, around 1900. My family has Irish roots, French roots, Scandinavian roots, Germanic roots. We are, in a sense, as multi-cultural as you can get, although many immigrants did agree to homogenize themselves to a point when entering American society, and don’t tell me it’s any different in countries like the United Kingdom, France, or Germany. Just please stop lumping all of us into one easily handled category…you hate it when America over-simplifies the concerns or issues or opinions of other countries…why can’t you show us the same respect you are asking for?

Posted by reepicheep on January 05, 2009, 07:51 PM report to moderator

"Ha ha ha, Harry, look at it --" said Ron, watching it disgorge its gaudy innards. "Harry, come and touch it, bet it's weird --"[br]"RON, NO!"[br]Harry did not know what would happen if Ron touched the tentacles of thought now flying behind the brain, but