Dan Radcliffe Says NO Thanks to Harry Potter, The Musical

Radcliffe
January 03, 2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks to our Order partner Dan Radcliffe. com, we know of a new video interview with actor Dan Radcliffe via Broadway.com. In a delightful series of question and answers, Dan says that he is a huge cartoon fan (loves SpongeBob SquarePants), talks about his Equus work schedule, living in New York city, and says most decidedly NO to ever wanting to be in a Harry Potter musical. He goes at length on this particular subject, showing light-hearted but clear dismay at the thought of such a project, noting this is not what the series is about and he hopes it does not happen ("it would not have my blessing let's just say"). Dan Radcliffe also confirms again that he will begin filming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on February 15.

On a related note, Dan listed his favorite things of the year, noting such things as his favorite tv show ("Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report, definitely) film of the year ( I really liked Burn After Reading. I think it's going to be eclipsed when I see Milk. My dad saw it the other day and said it was amazing, and we have exactly the same taste) and moment of the year ("Being here when Obama got [voted] in. I thought, 'Wow, I feel so privileged to be in the country at this moment.' Then I turned [the TV] over to FOX News and watched them all cry." ) For those that missed it earlier, readers of the same Broadway.com site had voted Dan 'Star of the Year' in a online poll.

Thanks to DanRadcliffe.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Professor Potter

I wouldnt knock a Harry Potter musical. Silly though it may sound, anything can be done and done well if in the right hands. Every musical that was made from Wizard of Oz to Sound of Music to Oliver to Lord of the Rings (which I hear is pretty good) were never originally conceived as musicals yet are tremendously loved and are successful. If you think about it, the Harry Potter world has all the ingredients to make a good musical. Having said all that, I’m not eager for one but I would love to see it done as a stage play. I was fortunate to see a stage adaptation of Dark Materials and it was a fantastic experience with inventive presentaton and sound. It was a 6hr play split into 2 seperate shows. I’d love to see Harry Potter implemented that way. If Jo can authorise a HP theme park, I believe Jo may be open (but still protectively) to suggestions of musical and plays.

Posted by Professor Potter on January 04, 2009, 08:14 AM report to moderator
blu3tick

I like FOX News… Pssshhh…..

Posted by blu3tick on January 04, 2009, 08:20 AM report to moderator
fly AWAY

Could you imagine the heckling which would occur at “Harry Potter the Musical.” I mean Shrek seems bad enough…….

Posted by fly AWAY on January 04, 2009, 08:36 AM report to moderator
Helena

Harry Potter the Musical would be dreadful. Anyone remember when they did Lord of the Rings the Musical? Exactly. Every time I see Dan in interviews I like him even more. He’s so down to earth and funny!

Posted by Helena on January 04, 2009, 09:21 AM report to moderator
PotterFanInHouston

> Potterfaninhouston, perhaps get off your judgemental high horse?

Yet another example of the double standard…Dan’s allowed to make such “judgemental high horse” comments (and he’s free to do so), but opposing viewpoints are not afforded equal courtesy. Palpable nonsense!

We now return you to the standard fawning…

Posted by PotterFanInHouston on January 04, 2009, 10:30 AM report to moderator
bebe

“> what you are referring to? Is it because he was in favour of Obama?

Oh please, of course not; this is about attitudes betrayed by a sector which otherwise likes to mantle itself in the cloak of enlightenment, caring, understanding, diversity, inclusiveness, etc. I don’t wish this thread to become a political discourse, but will be happy to post what a grown-up Dan might have been wise to offer instead.

> (Him, and most of the rest of the Western world….)

According to the Constitution of the United States (a wonderful document, well worth some study), what the rest of the world thinks is utterly irrelevant."

Except, dear PotterFanInHouston, what the US does affects the rest of the world deeply. That’s why we do take an interest and have our preferences. Obviously, we don’t vote in your elections. We’re allowed to have an opinion – and all countries should care what others think. It’s part of sharing the world. Or is that too bigotted an opinion for you?

I still don’t get your opinion. Why not just state it instead of implying it?

Posted by bebe on January 04, 2009, 11:22 AM report to moderator
Jen

I’m glad Dan and I both appreciate the gospel according to Stephen Colbert. Boy’s got great taste.

Posted by Jen on January 04, 2009, 11:46 AM report to moderator
Aaron

I never comment on stuff like this, but I feel I have to come to the defense of musicals, and disagree with everyone here (I haven’t read all 51 posts, but I’m sensing a pattern). Anything could make a quality musical, and I personally have thought of several ways in which a Harry Potter musical could work. Please do not disrespect this most disrespected of all art forms. After all, it was Albus Dumbledore who once said, “Ah, music, a magic beyond all we do here.”

On another note, about 6 years ago I was hearing rumors of a Chamber of Secrets ballet. I wonder how that went. And the LOTR musical was a 24 million dollar disaster in Toronto, apparently the one in London was better (not judging by the recording, but it looked beautiful).

Posted by Aaron on January 04, 2009, 11:52 AM report to moderator
KB Prez

I had intended to ignore the political comments in this thread, but I just can’t stop myself.

“According to the Constitution of the United States (a wonderful document, well worth some study), what the rest of the world thinks is utterly irrelevant.”

@PotterFanInHouston, the US does not and cannot live in isolation from the rest of the world. I’m baffled by people who think living in a bubble unaffected by what goes on around us is either possible or desirable. What happens in the world affects all of us whether we like it or not. It’s incredibly naive to think otherwise. And BTW, I have studied the constitution.

Posted by KB Prez on January 04, 2009, 11:53 AM report to moderator
secunda

i´d hate a hp-musical (maybe it could feature my hp-printer)

Posted by secunda on January 04, 2009, 11:58 AM report to moderator
secunda

Sorry folks…Dan is entitled to his opinion – God bless the USA and those who defend even the rights of foreigners – but Right demands that bigotry in all forms be exposed for the ugliness that it is, and his comments in the extracts presented here, if true to context, reveal a disappointing level of political bigotry that one wishes would not have come from a Potter castmember. Doubtless, however, it’ll be good for his career. I’ll still see the fims, of course, but Dan’s slipped several Respect notches in my book.

fits to Kingsley Shacklebolt. I wonder how anyone can detect political bigotry in one sentence…. must be a political master mind

Posted by secunda on January 04, 2009, 12:07 PM report to moderator
PotterFanInHouston

> @PotterFanInHouston, the US does not and cannot live in isolation from the rest of the world….<

Congratulations! You’ve missed the point entirely! It was never stated or even suggested that it is or should be otherwise…but when it comes to Election Day in the United States, it matters not one whit whether some other country thinks we should elect one candidate over another. Plain and Simple. It’s interesting, though, to observe what the rest of the world thinks, especially as many countries (including my own, at times) spiral toward socialism and suppression of freedom or are otherwise ruled by despots & dictators.

> And BTW, I have studied the constitution.

For future reference, in this usage, it’s properly spelled with an upper-case “C”.

Posted by PotterFanInHouston on January 04, 2009, 12:24 PM report to moderator
PotterFanInHouston

(Prof. Dumbledore would be compelled to point that out as well) :)

Posted by PotterFanInHouston on January 04, 2009, 12:26 PM report to moderator
jain

@PotterFanInHouston, Stop trying to be so up yourself. Just explain in simple English what you mean. You are the worse kind of snob!

Posted by jain on January 04, 2009, 12:29 PM report to moderator
kay

i would only see a harry potter musical to laugh my butt off, mainly because i would be thinking the whole time of Dan imagining old wizards dancing around in robes…or something to that extent. cool interview thing.

Posted by kay on January 04, 2009, 01:01 PM report to moderator

"The Cruciatus Curse ought to loosen your tongue," said Umbridge quietly.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014