Dan Radcliffe Says NO Thanks to Harry Potter, The Musical

Radcliffe
January 03, 2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks to our Order partner Dan Radcliffe. com, we know of a new video interview with actor Dan Radcliffe via Broadway.com. In a delightful series of question and answers, Dan says that he is a huge cartoon fan (loves SpongeBob SquarePants), talks about his Equus work schedule, living in New York city, and says most decidedly NO to ever wanting to be in a Harry Potter musical. He goes at length on this particular subject, showing light-hearted but clear dismay at the thought of such a project, noting this is not what the series is about and he hopes it does not happen ("it would not have my blessing let's just say"). Dan Radcliffe also confirms again that he will begin filming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on February 15.

On a related note, Dan listed his favorite things of the year, noting such things as his favorite tv show ("Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report, definitely) film of the year ( I really liked Burn After Reading. I think it's going to be eclipsed when I see Milk. My dad saw it the other day and said it was amazing, and we have exactly the same taste) and moment of the year ("Being here when Obama got [voted] in. I thought, 'Wow, I feel so privileged to be in the country at this moment.' Then I turned [the TV] over to FOX News and watched them all cry." ) For those that missed it earlier, readers of the same Broadway.com site had voted Dan 'Star of the Year' in a online poll.

Thanks to DanRadcliffe.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

sl

PotterFanInHouston – I also have no idea what you’re talking about (but I’m from Massachusetts, so maybe I just don’t get it).

Posted by sl on January 03, 2009, 10:23 PM report to moderator
hp fan

i LOVE spongebob also! i can’t beleive he likes and he is 19! and i think they shouldn’t make a harry potter musical if they do they should make the first one.

Posted by hp fan on January 03, 2009, 10:31 PM report to moderator
PotterFanInHouston

> what you are referring to? Is it because he was in favour of Obama?

Oh please, of course not; this is about attitudes betrayed by a sector which otherwise likes to mantle itself in the cloak of enlightenment, caring, understanding, diversity, inclusiveness, etc. I don’t wish this thread to become a political discourse, but will be happy to post what a grown-up Dan might have been wise to offer instead.

> (Him, and most of the rest of the Western world….)

According to the Constitution of the United States (a wonderful document, well worth some study), what the rest of the world thinks is utterly irrelevant.

Posted by PotterFanInHouston on January 03, 2009, 10:36 PM report to moderator
Helios Lightra

Best Dan Radcliffe interview I’ve ever read the summary of. Pro Obama, pro Colbert, and anti Fox News statements are a great way to convince me of his value to society. Not that I thought he wasn’t a value. Bah. I confused myself.

Posted by Helios Lightra on January 03, 2009, 10:42 PM report to moderator
H

I think a musical could be good; if it used Wizard Rock songs. It shouldn’t attempt to recreate what is in the books or even the movies but a creative staging; doing things only possible on stage (the recent tour of Sweeney Todd, if anyone saw it) But I love theatre; so perhaps I’m biased.

Posted by H on January 03, 2009, 10:52 PM report to moderator
CarolynJ

PotterFanInHouston, diversity of political thought is not much appreciated here. We’d like everyone to conform to the Progressive POV like the people of the theater do and be a value to society.

Posted by CarolynJ on January 03, 2009, 11:44 PM report to moderator
Shivi

Harry Potter musical does sound extremely silly !!!!! ( Just imagine Harry moving around singing lovely songs like that in HSM, yuck !!!!! ) But Dan wouldn’t be very bad at singing. I mean he takes singing lessons, doesn’t he??
Spongebob is OK, I’m not really a big fan of it. But it’s really cool that he likes cartoons even at 19 unlike other boys !!!!!!

Posted by Shivi on January 04, 2009, 12:00 AM report to moderator
PotterFanInHouston

Thank you, CarolynJ, for “getting it”

Posted by PotterFanInHouston on January 04, 2009, 01:20 AM report to moderator
caliclan

PotterFanInHouston u are so right!

Posted by caliclan on January 04, 2009, 01:52 AM report to moderator
Miriam

Potterfaninhouston, perhaps get off your judgemental high horse? Based on this interview you somehow think you ‘know’ dan’s politics? Not everyone jumps on bandwagons.

Posted by Miriam on January 04, 2009, 04:34 AM report to moderator
Miriam

Posted by Miriam on January 04, 2009, 04:34 AM report to moderator
Miriam

Plus, implying dan or anyone else here is a bigot is defamation.

Posted by Miriam on January 04, 2009, 04:36 AM report to moderator
Iro

I love Harry Potter but I don’t like the idea of a HP musical. It would be so weird… Can you imagine Voldemort singing!?

Posted by Iro on January 04, 2009, 05:16 AM report to moderator
Loz

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS!!!!!!! =D

Posted by Loz on January 04, 2009, 05:40 AM report to moderator
hambro

Good interview! Harry Pottter musical is a good idea but I don’t think the Harry Potter actors should be in it. I like what he watched on tv:-)

Posted by hambro on January 04, 2009, 06:44 AM report to moderator

"All this 'You-Know-Who' nonsense -- for eleven years I have been trying to persuade people to call him by his proper name: [i]Voldemort."[/i]