Dan Radcliffe Says NO Thanks to Harry Potter, The Musical

Radcliffe
January 03, 2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks to our Order partner Dan Radcliffe. com, we know of a new video interview with actor Dan Radcliffe via Broadway.com. In a delightful series of question and answers, Dan says that he is a huge cartoon fan (loves SpongeBob SquarePants), talks about his Equus work schedule, living in New York city, and says most decidedly NO to ever wanting to be in a Harry Potter musical. He goes at length on this particular subject, showing light-hearted but clear dismay at the thought of such a project, noting this is not what the series is about and he hopes it does not happen ("it would not have my blessing let's just say"). Dan Radcliffe also confirms again that he will begin filming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on February 15.

On a related note, Dan listed his favorite things of the year, noting such things as his favorite tv show ("Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report, definitely) film of the year ( I really liked Burn After Reading. I think it's going to be eclipsed when I see Milk. My dad saw it the other day and said it was amazing, and we have exactly the same taste) and moment of the year ("Being here when Obama got [voted] in. I thought, 'Wow, I feel so privileged to be in the country at this moment.' Then I turned [the TV] over to FOX News and watched them all cry." ) For those that missed it earlier, readers of the same Broadway.com site had voted Dan 'Star of the Year' in a online poll.

Thanks to DanRadcliffe.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Saturn

lol

Posted by Saturn on January 03, 2009, 06:29 PM report to moderator
Saturn

lol

Posted by Saturn on January 03, 2009, 06:29 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

Another great interview from Dan! The fact that we think alike about Stephen Colbert’s show and FOX news made this one even more special for me. So much great stuff from Dan in this interview. Love the woman at the stage door who said to him “you are so much more talented than I expected.” Or the reporter who asks Dan’s rep what the horses eat and if they make a mess on stage. Gotta love it. MAD ABOUT YA DAN!

Posted by KB Prez on January 03, 2009, 06:52 PM report to moderator
Caracticus

I hope if they ever redo the series, possibly as a more-complete miniseries a decade or two from now, Dan would play Snape. That would be a hoot.

Posted by Caracticus on January 03, 2009, 07:06 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix'x parole officer

What a cool young man and a great interview. Totally agree a musical would ruin the books (but i dont thinkJKR would allow one). Interesting insights into stage community and I REALLY like the way he praised richard griffiths. This is a man into his craft! Thanks leaky.

Posted by Bellatrix'x parole officer on January 03, 2009, 07:18 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix's parole officer

ooohh good idea caracticus. that is the kind of ‘left field’ thing that Dan would be into! and he might have developed his ‘meaner’ side more by then.

Posted by Bellatrix's parole officer on January 03, 2009, 07:19 PM report to moderator
Iolanthe

I think he’ll be old enough to play Voldemort by the time they do a musical. Or Dumbledore!

Actually, melodramas make excellent musicals. Look at Sweeney Todd.

Posted by Iolanthe on January 03, 2009, 07:34 PM report to moderator
Flonk

You never know – Jesus Christ Superstar turned out to be a brilliant musical and the Broadway filks in PotterCast were very funny and well done.
But I agreed at once when I read this heading. NO to a Harry Potter musical, that sounds ridiculous and would be way too much content for one show, anyway.

Posted by Flonk on January 03, 2009, 07:36 PM report to moderator
Olivia

The fact that he’s a Colbert and Obama fan and wants to see Milk makes me want to hug him.

Posted by Olivia on January 03, 2009, 07:45 PM report to moderator
mmmmmwtf

wtf Hell no

LOTR musical was bad enough

Posted by mmmmmwtf on January 03, 2009, 07:47 PM report to moderator
Jen-en-en-a!!!

“Dan Radcliffe says NO to Harry Potter the Musical”
Good.
So do I.

Posted by Jen-en-en-a!!! on January 03, 2009, 07:51 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw from Glenn

But…but…what about:

Snape.
Snape.
Severus Snape.
(Dumbledore!)

Posted by Ravenclaw from Glenn on January 03, 2009, 08:41 PM report to moderator
Professor Cassandra

Yeah….wouldn’t want to see a musical, even as much as I love HP. I can’t believe he likes The Colbert Report, that’s so awesome! :D

Posted by Professor Cassandra on January 03, 2009, 08:50 PM report to moderator
PotterFanInHouston

Sorry folks…Dan is entitled to his opinion – God bless the USA and those who defend even the rights of foreigners – but Right demands that bigotry in all forms be exposed for the ugliness that it is, and his comments in the extracts presented here, if true to context, reveal a disappointing level of political bigotry that one wishes would not have come from a Potter castmember. Doubtless, however, it’ll be good for his career. I’ll still see the fims, of course, but Dan’s slipped several Respect notches in my book.

Posted by PotterFanInHouston on January 03, 2009, 09:01 PM report to moderator
bebe

PotterFanInHouston, what you are referring to? Is it because he was in favour of Obama? (Him, and most of the rest of the Western world….)

Posted by bebe on January 03, 2009, 10:02 PM report to moderator

"Macnair, if Buckbeak has indeed been stolen, do you really think the thief will have led him away on foot?" said Dumbledore, still sounding amused. "Search the skies, if you will... Hagrid, I could do with a cup of tea. Or a large brandy."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014