Dan Radcliffe Says NO Thanks to Harry Potter, The Musical

Radcliffe
January 03, 2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks to our Order partner Dan Radcliffe. com, we know of a new video interview with actor Dan Radcliffe via Broadway.com. In a delightful series of question and answers, Dan says that he is a huge cartoon fan (loves SpongeBob SquarePants), talks about his Equus work schedule, living in New York city, and says most decidedly NO to ever wanting to be in a Harry Potter musical. He goes at length on this particular subject, showing light-hearted but clear dismay at the thought of such a project, noting this is not what the series is about and he hopes it does not happen ("it would not have my blessing let's just say"). Dan Radcliffe also confirms again that he will begin filming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on February 15.

On a related note, Dan listed his favorite things of the year, noting such things as his favorite tv show ("Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report, definitely) film of the year ( I really liked Burn After Reading. I think it's going to be eclipsed when I see Milk. My dad saw it the other day and said it was amazing, and we have exactly the same taste) and moment of the year ("Being here when Obama got [voted] in. I thought, 'Wow, I feel so privileged to be in the country at this moment.' Then I turned [the TV] over to FOX News and watched them all cry." ) For those that missed it earlier, readers of the same Broadway.com site had voted Dan 'Star of the Year' in a online poll.

Thanks to DanRadcliffe.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Callisto Lamia

first! You go Dan, no Singin’ Potty!

Posted by Callisto Lamia on January 03, 2009, 05:04 PM report to moderator
Jess

Woot!!! He loves Spongebob!
I think it would be funny but unlikely for there to be a HP musical.

Posted by Jess on January 03, 2009, 05:08 PM report to moderator
stitch

..ok.. a potter musical just sounds silly… but maybe funny in a good way.. haha

Posted by stitch on January 03, 2009, 05:09 PM report to moderator
Lorelai Go Dan! Hee I love SpongBob too! I dont know where the idea of a Harry Potter musical came form but it is not a good idea but is pretty funny. :)

I can’t waite till DH starts filming! I so glad its coming in Feb.

Posted by Lorelai on January 03, 2009, 05:15 PM report to moderator
T-Vey

hahaha. a harry potter musical?!?!?! seriously?! (ok. yeah.. id probably go see it…) but i think it would make a much better comedy than a dark, serious drama!

Posted by T-Vey on January 03, 2009, 05:17 PM report to moderator
fredgeorgefan101 no musical..hes right, it wouldnt be the right image. u cant see wizards and withces dancing except at the Yull ball
Posted by fredgeorgefan101 on January 03, 2009, 05:19 PM report to moderator
Miriam

Well they made a musical of lord of the rings, spiderman and shrek, so you never know. Stupid idea, glad dan is opposed to it. Great interview, i also can’t wait for Milk, love gus van sant.

Posted by Miriam on January 03, 2009, 05:20 PM report to moderator
Miriam

Posted by Miriam on January 03, 2009, 05:20 PM report to moderator
chikit

he is so eloquent! not bad at all. And NO, NO, NO to a musical. Do we all agree then?

Posted by chikit on January 03, 2009, 05:22 PM report to moderator
givemesomeTLC

I fell out of my chair when I read the headline; even though I had heard of the possibility (probably as one of John’s jokes from the podcasts) I still just can’t get over the ridiculousness that would be. Wrock is plenty Harry Potter music (as well as the best there ever could be—non of that HErock lol)

Posted by givemesomeTLC on January 03, 2009, 05:28 PM report to moderator
Haley

Oh wow harry potter a musical? (I would probaly see it anyway..but) After reading the books the movies are quite enough. Having a musical would be just terrible….Right? I agree 100% with what Dan Radcliffe. And come on who can picture a singn harry potty?!

Posted by Haley on January 03, 2009, 05:42 PM report to moderator
Natalie

Good boy! Harry Potter the Musical would be terrible!
Yay for Feb 15th! :)

Posted by Natalie on January 03, 2009, 05:51 PM report to moderator
Jen

Good Choice, a musical would suck

Posted by Jen on January 03, 2009, 05:53 PM report to moderator
Derek

way to go Dan!, i think that a musical would tear down the already-established image…. i could not imagine it happening

Posted by Derek on January 03, 2009, 06:02 PM report to moderator
iheartpink

i agree. a musical would b awful, but i wonder if dan can actually sing or not. just curiosity ; )

Posted by iheartpink on January 03, 2009, 06:06 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"...Father actually considered sending me to Durmstrang rather than Hogwarts, you know. He knows the headmaster, you see. Well, you know his opinion of Dumbledore -- the man's such a Mudblood-lover -- and Durmstrang doesn't admit that sort of riffraff."