Report: Stuntman for Dan Radcliffe Injured on Set of "Deathly Hallows"

DH Film
January 28, 2009, 07:57 PM

UK tabloid The Mirror is reporting tonight that a stuntman "who doubles for Harry star Daniel Radcliffe," was injured as part of prep work for filming on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The paper says that the accident with the stuntman happened while "rehearsing a flying sequence using a harness when he was sent plummeting by the blast, which was part of the stunt. He was conscious after smashing to the ground but told horrified colleagues: “I can’t feel my legs.”

The paper continues:

A source said: “The stunt double was badly hurt. He was rehearsing a flying scene which involved an explosion and it seems to have gone badly wrong. The guy was rigged up to a harness for the scene and was flying through the air.It is thought he may have been caught by the explosion and hit the ground very hard."

UPDATE: The UK Press Association now has more on this incident, with their article stating an "East of England Ambulance Service spokesman confirmed a man in his 20s had been injured on set.

He said: "Paramedics were called to Leavesden Studios after a man in his 20s sustained a significant back injury. He was stabilised at the scene and taken to Watford General Hospital." Watford General Hospital refused to comment on the man's condition, but said he had been transferred to another hospital.

The Mirror does contain a quote for a rep from Leavesden studios as follows: “We can confirm a member of the Harry Potter production was injured in an accident. We are awaiting further news.Out of respect for the family we are unable to comment further.”

TLC is working to obtain additional information on this matter, and will update when we can.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Beth A

I’m with bebe on this. I’m surprised at some of the calous comments. And who cares about buckets of money if you could be paralized. I’m saying a quick prayer that he’s not, that that was just initial shock or something.

ps: you folks know that they dont film movies in order, right? doesnt matter that it’s early in (pre) filming. Could be any part of either movie (it’s going to be filmed all at once, as if it were 1 very long movie, so it has no indication on which movie its part of.

Posted by Beth A on January 28, 2009, 09:52 PM report to moderator
Beth A

Posted by Beth A on January 28, 2009, 09:52 PM report to moderator
disgusted

Wow – this poor guy has been transferred to Stoke Mandeville according to the tv reports which means he has possible paralysis and all some care about is what scene it’s from.

Posted by disgusted on January 28, 2009, 09:52 PM report to moderator
Katie

Oh no!!! I wonder what Dan was thinking when he saw that. Good thing he doesn’t do his own stunts..

But woah, that really sucks! Sounds like he hurt his spine real bad if he couldn’t feel his legs…I hope that’s not permanent damage, for his sake. I’m wishing you luck, stunt double!

Posted by Katie on January 28, 2009, 10:05 PM report to moderator
dhsnapeandlily

oh my god this is soo awful! i reallyf eel for him and really really hope he gets better and turns out not to be permanent, i just can’t believe it !!

Posted by dhsnapeandlily on January 28, 2009, 10:10 PM report to moderator
Sam

Some of these comments are disgusting. I’m just as big a Potter fan as the next guy in here, but this man may never walk again and people are trying to figure out what scene he was injured in. Or trying to rectify the situation by saying at least he’ll get paid off. The worst are the ones saying that they hope this doesn’t push the movie back further. Is getting the movie a few months earlier really the biggest concern here? The people who are looking at this from the wrong angle should really apologize on the comments. Some of the comments though maybe unintentionally are very offensive. Personally I hope the best for the young man and that he makes a full recovery. My thoughts are with him an his family.

Posted by Sam on January 28, 2009, 10:14 PM report to moderator
Rocket

Wow. That sounds terrible… I do hope he’s ok! My thoughts go out to him and his family!

Posted by Rocket on January 28, 2009, 10:22 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

I’m sorry, but who gives a tinkers dam wether it’s “a reason for WB to delay the movie” or which “scene” it’s part of. A man was seriously injured. All stunt men know the risks of their jobs, but they do get hurt. I hope he is not seriously injured and sympathise, with his family, durring the wait. I wish the man well, and a good recovery.

Posted by Confederate Lady on January 28, 2009, 10:22 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

Thank you, Sam. You said it better than I ever could. folks, this is not the time to worry about “which scene”, “can’t wait to see the action scenes” or “at least he’ll get paid off”….I’m pretty sure Dan would also find these comments insensitive!

Posted by Confederate Lady on January 28, 2009, 10:25 PM report to moderator
mollywobble

Wow. That is horrible. I really hope it’s just bruising around his spinal cord that is causing his paralysis instead of something worse. I really hope he’ll be okay.

Posted by mollywobble on January 28, 2009, 10:27 PM report to moderator
mollywobble

I agree Sam and Confederate Lady.

Posted by mollywobble on January 28, 2009, 10:28 PM report to moderator
Araminta

In respose to a comment by Laura – I think you’re right, it would have to be the seven potters scene – what other scene would have both flying at explosions?

On another note, I hope this guy is okay… it would really suck to be permanently injured, particularly considering his chosen profession is rather physical – if you were an office worker who had a back injury you could still do your work sitting down – not so easy to get work as a stuntman when you can’t walk.

Posted by Araminta on January 28, 2009, 10:35 PM report to moderator
bebe

Someone send him to the Hospital Wing and ask Madame Pomfrey for a dose of Skele-Gro!

Posted by bebe on January 28, 2009, 10:41 PM report to moderator
Scully

Some of the comments here are the reason I like to think of myself as just an HP fan and not a part of the fandom. Idiots.

Posted by Scully on January 29, 2009, 02:00 AM report to moderator
callie

wow! i hope he get’s better!
but i guess that there would always be some risks with being a stuntman… i mean isn’t that the point of being a stuntman?

Posted by callie on January 29, 2009, 02:13 AM report to moderator

"What a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were... you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts...."