LeakyNews.com

Report: Stuntman for Dan Radcliffe Injured on Set of "Deathly Hallows"

DH Film
January 28, 2009, 07:57 PM

UK tabloid The Mirror is reporting tonight that a stuntman "who doubles for Harry star Daniel Radcliffe," was injured as part of prep work for filming on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The paper says that the accident with the stuntman happened while "rehearsing a flying sequence using a harness when he was sent plummeting by the blast, which was part of the stunt. He was conscious after smashing to the ground but told horrified colleagues: “I can’t feel my legs.”

The paper continues:

A source said: “The stunt double was badly hurt. He was rehearsing a flying scene which involved an explosion and it seems to have gone badly wrong. The guy was rigged up to a harness for the scene and was flying through the air.It is thought he may have been caught by the explosion and hit the ground very hard."

UPDATE: The UK Press Association now has more on this incident, with their article stating an "East of England Ambulance Service spokesman confirmed a man in his 20s had been injured on set.

He said: "Paramedics were called to Leavesden Studios after a man in his 20s sustained a significant back injury. He was stabilised at the scene and taken to Watford General Hospital." Watford General Hospital refused to comment on the man's condition, but said he had been transferred to another hospital.

The Mirror does contain a quote for a rep from Leavesden studios as follows: “We can confirm a member of the Harry Potter production was injured in an accident. We are awaiting further news.Out of respect for the family we are unable to comment further.”

TLC is working to obtain additional information on this matter, and will update when we can.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

Professor Potter

Good Morning, Conf Lady, Mollywobble and everyone, though it is a sad one. I too agree with Sam. Please let’s pray in what ever faith we believe in, for this very young man’s recovery. It is apparently bad as he cannot feel his legs and GMTV states he has spinal injury and will be undergoing emergency surgery. Time to take reality check everyone. Stunt men are the people who risk so much for our entertainment. They are the unsung heroes who give us film scenes that we so often cherish. This isnt a time to think of what scene he was doing, in fact they really should suspend filming and do a thoroughly investigation. Yes I hotly anticipate the movie too but health and safety takes priority. These accidents must stop happening. Even actors get injured. Daniel Craig suffered minor injury on the last Bond. That’s not right. Of course the film industry have come a long way in improved health and safety regulations but maybe they need to do more. I wish the young stunt man a speedy recovery.

Posted by Professor Potter on January 29, 2009, 02:17 AM report to moderator
Karen

The comments appear to have been taken over by idiots today.

This morning’s news reports are stating that this is a 25 year old man who has been parylised by the accident and that he’s going to have surgery today. If he has been transferred to Stoke Mandeville then this would back that up, because this is about 30 – 40 miles from Watford, but is the country’s leading spinal injuries centre to which the most serious cases are transferred. The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital is about 5 miles from Watford so if he’s been sent to Stoke Mandeville rather than there I would imagine that it’s a very serious injury. God help him, my thoughts are with him and his family.

Posted by Karen on January 29, 2009, 02:18 AM report to moderator
Karen

The comments appear to have been taken over by idiots today.

Posted by Karen on January 29, 2009, 02:18 AM report to moderator
Steve

Aww hope he gets better!!

Posted by Steve on January 29, 2009, 02:42 AM report to moderator
MuggleQueen

Omg I really hope he’s ok!!

Posted by MuggleQueen on January 29, 2009, 03:00 AM report to moderator
peteek

Hi leaky,

I just heard this on the radio and apparently it’s really bad and the accident was on prep work for half blood prince not DH anyways I hope he’s okay!

Posted by peteek on January 29, 2009, 03:12 AM report to moderator
mollywobbles23

I hope I’m not considered to be an inconsiderate commenter. Some people just try to think of all the details of a tragic situation or else it just doesn’t seem real. At least, that’s they way I am.

There are definitely some comments that are just utterly tasteless, though. I’m speaking to the people who seem to have no concern for his well being at all. I’ve heard of temporary paralysis from trauma and if he truly couldn’t feel his legs, I hope that was the cause and it’s not anything permanent.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on January 29, 2009, 03:12 AM report to moderator
mollywobbles23

Sorry for double post.

@peteek:

HBP is done, there’s no prep work needed for it. They were scheduled to begin filming in a couple of weeks. I agree with another commenter, though, and that filming should be halted to investigate exactly what happen just to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on January 29, 2009, 03:17 AM report to moderator
Georgia

Oh no! That poor guy! I hope he’s alright and it’s not permanent…

Posted by Georgia on January 29, 2009, 03:50 AM report to moderator
MissHagrid

Oh my! I do hope he recovers fully. My prayers go out for him. Clearly, a safety reassesment should occur before filming proceeds.

Posted by MissHagrid on January 29, 2009, 03:56 AM report to moderator
bunty

I hope he gets well soon

Posted by bunty on January 29, 2009, 04:15 AM report to moderator
Joanna

Has anyone read the link below The Mirror article, ‘The Curse of Harry Potter’? What a non-story! Films always have mishaps, yet the way they tell it you’d think everyone was dropping like flies! Hope this poor guy recovers. :(

Posted by Joanna on January 29, 2009, 04:55 AM report to moderator
May

I hope he is already getting better.

Posted by May on January 29, 2009, 05:11 AM report to moderator
miriam

Hopefully he’ll be alright. Must be a terrifying time for him and his family. I think it’s a little inappropriate that people are even speculating about what scene they were rehearsing for. Put things in perspective people!

Posted by miriam on January 29, 2009, 05:25 AM report to moderator
anne

gosh, that’s pretty bad. hope he’s ok,

Posted by anne on January 29, 2009, 05:32 AM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?