Cafe and Restaurant where JK Rowling Wrote Harry Potter Novels Now for Sale

J.K. Rowling
January 27, 2009, 07:42 PM

A cafe and restaurant in Edinburgh, Scotland where J.K. Rowling famously wrote portions of the Harry Potter novels is up for sale again. The Scotsman reports the former Nicolson's Cafe, which was sold several years ago and is now the site of the Buffet King Chinese restaurant, is now for sale by owner Eddie Ng. Mr Ng apparently offered to sell it to the Harry Potter author " for £1 million – an offer which was politely declined." The article continues:

"We were thinking of selling to JK Rowling first because we think something should be done to mark the fact she wrote the book here."
...

While Ms Rowling turned down the offer, Mr Ng is optimistic someone will see the potential in turning it into a tourist attraction to mark the unassuming spot where the Boy Wizard was created. He added: "The restaurant is on the open market but I would prefer someone to come in and preserve this place. We are looking for a buyer but it is still early stages."

As many fans know, there is a plaque currently outside the building which marks the place where Jo spent so much time writing the beloved novels, and the current owner of the building hopes that fans will continue to visit the site.

"The plaque was one of two set up on the street in honour of the writer. The other – which was unveiled by the Edinburgh City of Literature Trust in 2006 – is still in place, fixed to the outside of the building.Mr Ng said the restaurant, just yards from the National Museum of Scotland, is in a prime location to draw in tourists.

He added: "I'm sure a museum would boost tourism. It is quite a renowned place. We do not advertise the JK Rowling connection that much, but it still attracts so much attention. We get many tourists from Japan and America."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Mms_picture_thumb

I say we all chip in and make it a Leaky Cauldron, I would so fly out there and visit! That would be amazing. Keep the Harry Potter spirit alive!

Posted by Kaylie Marie [FTC!] on January 30, 2009, 10:06 PM report to moderator

@ A Paperback Writer: could you give me your email address? I don’t think I’ll have many chances to see Edinburgh (I’m italian, you see), and I would really really like to talk with you about your experience in the JK Rowling-related part of Edinburgh. I don’t know if I explained well, I’m really tired today so I could’ve done more than one grammar error. Oh, probably you’re asking yourself why I don’t write here my email address: you know, I’m under 18 years old and I don’t really trust everyone on the Internet so..
Thanks

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on January 31, 2009, 02:50 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

I think its kind of funny that Jo was the first person Mr. Ng approched to buy the cafe. I also think the price of 1 million pounds is a little much!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on January 31, 2009, 03:12 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

As much as I love these books and their author, I don’t think these locations should be turned into holy shrines.

Posted by Garden State Geek on February 24, 2009, 12:16 PM report to moderator

J.K. should buy and and fix it up. She could donate the proceeds to charity. LoL..

Posted by on March 09, 2009, 08:03 PM report to moderator

"Righ' then," said Hagrid, who seemed to have lost his thread, "so -- so yeh've got yer books an' -- an' -- now yeh need the Magical Creatures. Yeah. So I'll go an' get 'em. Hang on..."[br]"God this place is going to the dogs," said Malfoy loudly. "That o