New Dumbledore and Bellatrix Figures from Tonner Doll Co.

Toys
Posted by: Edward
January 26, 2009, 03:31 PM

The Tonner Doll Company has updated its website for the new year to include two new pieces for their Harry Potter Character Doll Figures collection.  The figures of Professor Albus Dumbledore (modeled after actor Richard Harris) and Bellatrix Lestrange (modeled after actress Helena Bonham Carter) are now part of their 2009 collection.  Both dolls are 17" inches tall and feature remarkable craftsmanship "with 14 points of articulation, offering the collector unlimited posing and play possibilities.  Crafted of hard plastic and high-quality vinyl, with hand-painted face detail, these are character figures to be played with and enjoyed."

The Albus Dumbledore figure, which can be seen here, is described as:

Sculpted in the likeness of the late Richard Harris as PROFESSOR DUMBLEDORE™, this TONNER CHARACTER FIGURE™ stands approximately 19” tall and features 14 points of articulation (neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, chest, hips, knees, and ankles) , is crafted of high quality vinyl & hard plastic, and features high-end details including rooted saran hair and hand-painted face details. DUMBLEDORE™ comes dressed in an authentic reproduction of one his signature costume from the film. His costume includes under robe in brocade, outer robe in jacquard trimmed in metallic brocade velvet hat and boots; display stand included.  Wigged with applied beard and molded mustache with hand-painted facial features.
The description for the Bellatrix Lestrage figure, photo here, is as follows:
BELLATRIX LESTRANGE™ is 17" tall and features a new face sculpt of an authorized likeness of actress Helena Bonham-Carter from Warner Bros. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, with 14 points of articulation (neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, bust line, hips, knees, and ankles). She features hand painted face details and rooted saran hair. BELLATRIX LESTRANGE™ comes dressed in her wicked costume from the film with faux leather corset, necklace, hosiery, wand and display stand.
The Dumbledore and Bellatrix Character Figures retail for $249.99 and $189.99, respectively.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Toys News

splinched

bad dolls, look nothing like them, i’ll stick to my precious neca figures thank you very much =)

especially my snape =P

Posted by splinched on January 27, 2009, 12:58 AM report to moderator
ravenclawguy1972

is it just me or is the Bella doll to pretty for bella? the face i mean, i know she was upposed to have been a looker at one time but Azkaban took her looks

Posted by ravenclawguy1972 on January 27, 2009, 03:19 AM report to moderator
Daryl

well, I have NECA versions of Dumbledore (Richard Harris) and Bellatrix. They look much better than these dolls

Posted by Daryl on January 27, 2009, 03:32 AM report to moderator
Joe

Bellatrix looks a bit too…hot. Well, Bellatrix was always hot. I’m so glad that they chose to do the Richard Harris likeness for Dumbledore. There’s one problem: THE PRICE!

Posted by Joe on January 27, 2009, 05:11 AM report to moderator
Huffleclaw

The dolls are very nice looking, but as for likeness to the actuall characters, a bit disappointing. The face, especially the eyes, are all wrong on Bellatrix and the hair is way too bushy on Dumbledore.

Posted by Huffleclaw on January 27, 2009, 08:23 AM report to moderator
Anita

I agree with everyone about the dolls not actually looking like the actors, however this is the second picture I’ve seen of the Dumbledore and the hair and beard were not like this in the first one. It was regualr doll hair and the beard loooked ridiculous – all thin and straight. Anyway, the point I guess I’m trying to make is that these are more than likely prototypes and not the actual production doll. If that’s the case then more than likely changes will be made. I have all of the dolls in the Tonner HP line except for the trunk set. I can tell you that the biggest disappointment for me was Snape. The picture that I saw of the prototype were FANTASTIC – dead on – but when I received my doll, not so much. The prototype had the mouth exactly right and the produiction doll wasn’t even close. That bothers me to this day. I also have to say that the Belatrix doll is so wrong. I think Tonner was trying to make her beautiful and missed the point. She wasn’t so beautiful after all of that time in Azkaban – - -

Posted by Anita on January 27, 2009, 09:21 AM report to moderator
SproutMdme

What is interesting to me is that most people seem to think a doll has to be ‘beautiful’, in the classic sense in order to be sellable. I’ll take an interesting character doll any day of the week over one that just looks pretty. Most characters (in the real world and sometimes the movies) are NOT gorgeous, so why should all commercial products be mass produced to be bloody perfect? Perfect is boring….Tonner dolls are crafted beautifully, and I will continue purchasing the Harry Potter dolls, but they don’t have to BE beautiful to be collectible. The Voldemort doll is almost unique in this sense. Anyway, I relish flaws!

Posted by SproutMdme on January 27, 2009, 03:32 PM report to moderator
Anita

SproutMdme, I too will continue to collect the Tonner Harry Potter dolls and I agree with you that they are beautifully crafted. I have already pre-ordered my Dumbledore because I was surprised to see that he is LE500. I will also probably get Bellatrix as well in an attempt to keep my collection complete. I have put in suggestions on several occasions at Tonner that Luna (done), Neville, and definitely Ginny are needed. Perhaps now that there’s a big kiss between Harry and Ginny coming up, we’ll finally get that Ginny. How else can you explain Cho Chang – although she’s a beautiful doll. Have you seen the Cho Chang at The Yule Ball “in person”? She’s gorgeous. I was hoping that the Tonner Edward (Twilight) would look a little more like Robert Pattinson. I told someone at Tonner that with just a little modification they could make a Cedric Diggory too. Two dolls from one sculpt, but the Edward doesn’t look that much like Robert. I can’t find him anywhere in that face no matter how hard I look.

Posted by Anita on January 27, 2009, 08:01 PM report to moderator
Petit Princeton

I’m afraid these are quite a disappointment. Not to say that they won’t satisfy the average fan that likes forking out hundreds for this sort of thing. But honestly- take a look at Bellatrix and tell me that’s a $189.00 likeness of Helena Bonham Carter

Posted by Petit Princeton on January 28, 2009, 06:32 PM report to moderator
Anita

Hmm. Petit Princeton, I collect the Harry Potter dolls because they bring me great joy. I also collect the NECA figures, have several Gentle Giant mini busts – Dobby came yesterday, items from the Noble Collection, and many books including several by John Granger, The Hogwarts Professor. Harry Potter has been with me and helped me through some difficult times in my life. I AM NOT the average fan.

Posted by Anita on January 29, 2009, 07:34 AM report to moderator
Marcheline

I love that they used Richard Harris for Dumbledore. He was the real deal.

As for dolls, I pretty much think they’re as silly as the rest of the merchandising crap… the books and the movies are the only “real” Harry Potter stuff. Why waste money on something that looks like the movie, when you can just watch the movie? I don’t get it.

Posted by Marcheline on January 29, 2009, 01:16 PM report to moderator
Luna_lovegood_thumb

I LOVE these two and will be buying them! My newest Tonner doll is Luna and she looks exactly like the prototype! Perfect likeness! Worth every penny!

Posted by DementorTwilight on January 30, 2009, 08:37 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

Wow, the Dumbledore doll is pretty disappointing. I don’t remember Richard Harris ever acting constipated in the films, because that’s what the doll looks like.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on January 30, 2009, 08:38 PM report to moderator
Herbdcdr_thumb

Marcheline, you might want to keep in mind, that if you are not a true Collector, you may not have the ability to understand what drives them. Just because you personally see no value in collector’s items, does not mean there are not millions of Enthusiasts out there passionately refining their collections and piecing together interesting and valuable treasures. It’s unfortunate that you are unable to appreciate the Harry Potter Collectibles, as there are some amazingly clever, artistic, creative and fun things to have and enjoy. A vapid outlook is nothing to brag about, and you really don’t know what you are talking about when it comes to what the “real” Harry Potter stuff" is. Collectibles ARE real. In 20 years they may have more intrinsic value than the books. Why not try collecting cards or other small, inexpensive items, just to see how fun it can be to collect something? It will stimulate your mind. Just a thought.

Posted by SproutMdme (OoM4,GS,CW) on January 31, 2009, 09:24 PM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

Bellatrix looks like a Barbie Doll. Hahaha… :D She’s too mean for that…

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on February 02, 2009, 08:02 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Harry spotted Uncle Vernon at once. He was standing a good distance from Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, eyeing them suspiciously, and when Mrs. Weasley hugged Harry in greeting, his worst suspicions about them seemed confirmed.