More on Potter the Stage Production that Might have Been

Books
January 26, 2009, 12:00 PM

The Telegraph has a short article online, with more on a possible Harry Potter stage production that might have been. The paper reports that many years ago, acclaimed theater director and producer Sir Trevor Nunn had expressed an interest in creating a stage production out of the Harry Potter novels, but when he asked, he discovered he was too late as he was told 'Oh if only you had come to us a few weeks ago. We have just sold the movie rights'," he harrumphs. "It will be a long time now before anyone is allowed to stage Harry Potter."

Reflecting now on the possibility of staging such a production, Trevor Nunn continues "The movies are so spectacular – it's a bit like The Lord of the Rings," he says. "Unless you go in the opposite direction and don't go for spectacle, there's no way you can compete."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

DorisCrockford

A musical? No, please. Just no. A play? Why not? I saw His Dark Materials (both parts, twice) at the National Theatre here in London, and if they adapted HP along similar lines it could be stunning. HDM was the best theatrical experience I’ve ever had.

Posted by DorisCrockford on January 27, 2009, 01:43 PM report to moderator
sirius

i don’t think that this is a good idea at all. half of what makes the books and movies so great is the magic and they couldnt’t do that on stage.

Posted by sirius on January 27, 2009, 03:44 PM report to moderator
Araminta

Gives me hope that in 20 years time there’ll be a revival and I’ll be able to go see it on stage – it will bring back memories of my lost childhood, ha ha…. :) I wish it will happen, even if it only happens one day many years from now…

Posted by Araminta on January 27, 2009, 09:27 PM report to moderator
NuttyAsSP

Its a book, it won’t need to be ‘revived’. You revive musicals, for instance, the Music Man – saw a darn good one of that in Stratford, Canada in 1996.

How about Order of the Phoenix as a play? Unabridged, of course. ;-)

Posted by NuttyAsSP on January 28, 2009, 12:47 AM report to moderator
Chlo

Harry Potter doesn’t sing. Sirius Black may have the talent tho.

Posted by Chlo on January 29, 2009, 07:34 AM report to moderator
I-quote_hufflepuff067_thumb

Totally unrelated to the article, but all the Barack Obama’s running around on the comment board are making me laugh.

Posted by SylvieTheHufflepuff on January 30, 2009, 06:28 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

I don’t know. I’m just not seeing it. I don’t know why, but the idea of an HP musical really isn’t doing anything for me. It just doesn’t seem… right. I don’t know.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on January 30, 2009, 08:37 PM report to moderator
100_6668_thumb

when I was in 10th grade the middle school I used to go to had a Harry Potter musical play.

Posted by lnh92(Lorrie) on January 31, 2009, 11:11 AM report to moderator
108_thumb

I would love to see the first book as a play.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on February 11, 2009, 10:02 AM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

I would still very much like to see a stage play, opera, or musical.

Posted by Garden State Geek on February 24, 2009, 12:34 PM report to moderator

Harry concentrated on not tripping over his feet. Parvati seemed to be enjoying herself; she was beaming around at everybody, steering Harry so forcefully that he felt as though he were a show dog she was putting through its paces.