Emma Thompson Makes New Comments on Decision Not to Return as Trelawney

Thompson
January 02, 2009, 07:56 PM

In an interview before the release of her latest film, Last Chance Harvey, actress Emma Thompson has made some new comments regarding her decision not to return to the part of Professor Trelawney for the final Harry Potter films. Speaking with the San Francisco Chronicle, Emma Thompson addresses the outcry over her decision, and her upcoming work on the sequel to Nanny McPhee. Quotage:

Thompson does have a creative outlet other than acting, which is her writing. She's been working on a drama about British art critic John Ruskin, and this year filming will start on the sequel to "Nanny McPhee" (2005), which she adapted from a children's book series.

While this project might seem innocent enough, "Harry Potter" fans have been all over Thompson because of reports suggesting that she chose Nanny over Sybil (in the forthcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows") when both were scheduled to be shot at the same time.

"I wasn't being rude at all," says Thompson, who adds that she loves Sybil. "It's so typical, where they take something very, very small and turn it into a big deal. I was never going to be in the next 'Harry Potter.' I sort of put that to bed."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Bubbdddddd

Just because a segment is only a few minutes long doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot of work involved. There is pre production and post production. Setting up the scene. Makeup. etc. To say an actor is only on the screen for a few minutes is not taking into account all of the work involved. What appears to be a few minutes to the audience could actually have taken hours to the people involved.

Posted by Bubbdddddd on January 07, 2009, 02:27 PM report to moderator
Lindsay

she was exactly the Trelawny i imagined. not one thing she did was different from what i imagined. period. she was perfect.

i really think its a shame she wont be coming back

Posted by Lindsay on January 07, 2009, 08:38 PM report to moderator
Jessica

If she never planned on doing any of the other films… why did she do the first one. I hate it when they switch characters in films. I mean, obviously she knew Trelawney had a continuing role?! Maybe she just wanted a piece of the HP action?

Posted by Jessica on January 08, 2009, 04:03 PM report to moderator
Glen

I’d be surprised if they couldn’t just use some CGI for a quick shot of Trelawney throwing some crystal balls in the battle. Thompson wouldn’t even need to do a day’s work. But, I’m sure the expense of creating that little shot wouldn’t really be worth it.

Posted by Glen on January 08, 2009, 06:33 PM report to moderator
HeeHee

Isn’t Nanny McPhea’s Alma Mater, Hogwarts?

Posted by HeeHee on January 09, 2009, 06:03 PM report to moderator
Lisa

Emma Thompson is one of my favorite actresses in the Harry Potter series. I will certainly miss her, however, as long as I get to watch her in Nanny McFee I guess I will be happy because I loved that move. If some of you think she is being a little bit arrogent, perhaps she deserves to be. She did some amazing movies before Harry Potter and she will do some more amazing movies afterward and such a small role when compared to her whole body of work really is not a big deal. The Harry Potter producers are lucky she agreed to grace it with her presence for the little roll of Trelawny at all. Don’t get me wrong, I love Harry Potter as much as you all do, but I equally love Harry Potter, Emma Thompson, and Julie Andrews and all three of those entities are equally as “big” in my eyes, and I will love Emma Thompson in or out of Harry Potter.

Posted by Lisa on January 11, 2009, 06:50 AM report to moderator
budb

just out of curiosity, was Thompson even approached (as of January 2) to return in the role? If she wasn’t then she’s making lemonade out of the situation and rather than hoping for a last minute inclusion simply saying “never mind”.

Posted by budb on January 13, 2009, 07:35 PM report to moderator
Natalie

I won’t give up hope, since the filming for part two of the Deathly Hallows is so far away, that she might still show up to throw some crystal balls! For the people saying that Thompson overacted as Trelawney, I don’t think they understood the character of Trelawney. That’s what she did—she was melodramatic through and through.

I was just discussing with a friend of mine about the inevitable differences between the book HBP and movie version of HBP. We both agreed that Rowling’s world is so rich, and book 6 is so full of content, that even if HBP were 3 hours long it couldn’t include everything we’d deem important. Reading the comments here, I’ve discovered that Trelawney’s role is something that didn’t make the cut. (I realize I’m digressing here, and my apologies!) From the moviemakers’ perspective, I understand this, but how unfortunate!

Posted by Natalie on January 17, 2009, 05:18 PM report to moderator
czenema

Oh, I so much adore her that I can even forget this little shock.
By the way Emma is much more talented than to be treated only as a woman in mask.
Good luck with Nanny!

Posted by czenema on January 24, 2009, 03:41 PM report to moderator
Images_4__thumb

I’m devestated! I can’t believe she’s not coming back! Though I enjoyed Nanny McPhee, there is only one movie left and I wish she’d stayed til the end. I can understand wanting to write also but she was an excellent Trelawney and it won’t be the same without her. I still love Thompson regardless.

Posted by crazyforSeverus on August 12, 2009, 08:04 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

...after a moment Moody smiled -- the first time Harry had seen him do so. The effect was to make his heavily scarred face look more twisted and contorted than ever, but it was nevertheless good to know that he ever did anything as friendly as smile.