Emma Thompson Makes New Comments on Decision Not to Return as Trelawney

Thompson
January 02, 2009, 07:56 PM

In an interview before the release of her latest film, Last Chance Harvey, actress Emma Thompson has made some new comments regarding her decision not to return to the part of Professor Trelawney for the final Harry Potter films. Speaking with the San Francisco Chronicle, Emma Thompson addresses the outcry over her decision, and her upcoming work on the sequel to Nanny McPhee. Quotage:

Thompson does have a creative outlet other than acting, which is her writing. She's been working on a drama about British art critic John Ruskin, and this year filming will start on the sequel to "Nanny McPhee" (2005), which she adapted from a children's book series.

While this project might seem innocent enough, "Harry Potter" fans have been all over Thompson because of reports suggesting that she chose Nanny over Sybil (in the forthcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows") when both were scheduled to be shot at the same time.

"I wasn't being rude at all," says Thompson, who adds that she loves Sybil. "It's so typical, where they take something very, very small and turn it into a big deal. I was never going to be in the next 'Harry Potter.' I sort of put that to bed."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Jill

Hmmm… when she says “they”, does she mean… us?

Posted by Jill on January 05, 2009, 01:50 PM report to moderator
*Peeved*

Incidently just because she said she’s more emotionally attached to the Nanny McPhee film/s doesn’t mean she insulted Harry Potter.
She played a very small part in the franchise whereas in NM she was the lead and also wrote the screenplay. People slagging her off for that and saying she’s insulting HP need to grow up, she didn’t accept the role cos she’s a fan, she accepted it as work as that is her vocation. Signing on to one of the films doesn’t mean she must refuse every other piece of work if it clashes with HP, and to say she shouldn’t choose work closer to her heart makes those saying that sound extremely selfish and small-minded.
Slagging her off for choosing something she has creative freedom and control over makes her smart not rude.
I respect her for choosing her principles and not just caring about her paycheque.
It makes those slagging her off sound very childish, I pity their immaturity.
I’d love to see her in the role again, but let’s face it, how much screentime would she actually get? My guess is not that much compared to the three leads.

Posted by *Peeved* on January 05, 2009, 01:57 PM report to moderator
eweasley

dont take this the wrong way i am a huge fan of harry potter even more so the nanny mcphee, but the next nanny movie would not be the same w/o her she is one of my favorite actresses and i will miss her as the prof. but harry potter will survive w/o her and never have i considered her rude we fans will miss but we can move on i mean its not like daniel left…now that could ruin the movie lol

Posted by eweasley on January 05, 2009, 02:46 PM report to moderator
upsetatthompson

nanny mcphee over harry potter? come on.
i have lost so much respect for her.

Posted by upsetatthompson on January 05, 2009, 04:42 PM report to moderator
NuttyAsSP

I said it before, JKR could be Trelawney, it would be a great cameo, and fitting end.

Posted by NuttyAsSP on January 06, 2009, 02:29 AM report to moderator
budb

I’m just catching up after being out of town, and must admit I’m a bit surprised at the tone used by a handful of posters here.

The real importance of Trelawney lies in HBP and Harry learning the details of the Prophecy, which we already know was given very short shrift in OotP filming. Since Trelawney/Thompson are written out of HBP as far as we can tell (Thompson is not listed among the cast members), then other than the cute 30 seconds of tossing crystal balls in DH, there really was no reason for her to stick around….

Frankly, I am more concerned about —at best I can use the wording “interested in seeing” —how the numerous plot line gaps and gaffs that occurred in filming OotP will be filled in. No Locket at Grimmauld Place? No Mundungus or Dobby, again? Smashing the Room of requirement? no indication that it was Trelawney who had made the Prophecy? No two-way mirrors? No indication that Petunia knew about Dementers and “that awful boy”? No Regulus Black, not even just a visual reference on the Black Family Tree? No vanishing cabinet at Hogwarts? In all, I can count about 15 plot line issues in OotP, which I would point out is the only film not done by Kloves —say what you like, but he managed in the first four films to get all the crucial details into the script, even if some ended up as deleted scenes (the extended scene of Harry in Borgin and Burkes where he hides in the cabinet after looking at the necklace and hand of glory being the most obvious instance). Clearly, some of these matters will be filled in within HBP, but not all….so how the entire series will ultimately hang together and make sense is unclear to me at this time…

Shrug…aint nuthin we can do about it, and we’re gonna go to the movie anyway, and then buy the dvd….I will miss Thompson’s comic touch however, even if its only there for 30 seconds….

Posted by budb on January 06, 2009, 10:14 AM report to moderator
Kiwi Mc I

I don’t think she was referring to Harry Potter fans blowing things out of porportion but rather the media

Posted by Kiwi Mc I on January 06, 2009, 11:50 AM report to moderator
Peeps

Screen time does not equal quality. Case in point, Ms. Thompson as Madam Trelawney. With very little screen time she made that character come alive for the fans. That is why some fans are upset. Sorry you are so beloved by your hp fans, Ms. Thompson.

Posted by Peeps on January 06, 2009, 04:56 PM report to moderator
chixza

NOO! i really loved Trewlaney in the movies. I think Emma is the person for the job, but whatever, although i can’t see how she chose Nana Mchpee over hp. since i really hated Nana Mcphee. sorryy fanz Nana fans. :(.

Posted by chixza on January 06, 2009, 07:01 PM report to moderator
susie

i am completly agree with youu chixza. :D nana sucked!

Posted by susie on January 06, 2009, 07:03 PM report to moderator
Envy

But if she doesn’t want to be in the HP movies anymore than she shouldnt be in them!!! Anyone who doesnt want a role in DH is crazy….and the last thing HP needs is a crazy minor actress.

Posted by Envy on January 06, 2009, 08:40 PM report to moderator
mewthree

i can’t see why she has to choose one over the other. can’t she postpone nanny or work around DH

Posted by mewthree on January 07, 2009, 03:57 AM report to moderator
Fran

First off, Emma Thompson is not a “minor actress.” Her original acting pedigree is from the Royal Shakespeare Company & she usually does much more “serious” roles in much more “serious” projects than the Potter franchise. Her brief scenes as Trelawny were probably pitched to her as cameo appearances, which is really what they are. As she says, not a big deal – which is in no way dissing the films or the fans, just acknowledging the fact that it’s a very minor role (for my money, her hilarious outtakes during Umbridge’s Great Hall speech were the high point of Thompson’s performances in HP thus far).

In fact, I’ve wondered if her motivation in accepting the part the first time might not have been as a way of saying to her then-recently-ex-husband Kenneth Branagh, “If you can be in a Harry Potter movie, so can I – so there!” That’s pure speculation, of course; but it’s possible that enough water has passed under the divorce-recriminations bridge by now that she no longer feels any need for the tit-for-tat. She may be ready to move on in more ways than one. Just a thought.

In any case, I will cheerfully pay to see Emma Thompson in most any project that she chooses to take on – she is a class act. As for the Battle of Hogwarts: Yes, Trelawny’s chucking crystal balls around is a funny bit; but even with the movie split in two they are bound to leave out a lot of funny bits that I will miss even more – probably including McGonagall’s herd of stampeding desks, even though it would only take up about three seconds of screen time. And since (for reasons that I have never heard explained) none of the HP directors have seen fit to include Peeves in ANY of the films, we definitely won’t get to hear his joyful “now Voldy’s gone moldy” ode, alas!

Posted by Fran on January 07, 2009, 11:33 AM report to moderator
Noah

I will miss her, but Trelawney is in DH for about twelve seconds, so I can understand her wanting to do something else. And I loved Nanny McPhee, so I’m excited about that.

Posted by Noah on January 07, 2009, 12:06 PM report to moderator
budb

Fran, I agree with you on most of your posting (I had been “biting my tongue” on the “minor actress” silliness myself. Charitably, we might reinterpret the statement to mean “a world renowned actress playing the role of a minor character”?)

On one hand, I do think ET and KB have done some work together since their split…. And, on the other, whether we discussing Emma T, OR Kenneth B, OR Julie Christie, OR any of the other actors of stature that have played ‘minor’ roles in the HP films, I think the over-riding factor might simply be “for the fun of it”. After all, they all have enough money and enough work….sometimes, playing a role for the sheer enjoyment of it must be attractive?

The crucial part for Trelawney/Emma T is in HBP (“The Seer Overheard” scene), and since it appears that too has been left out I can only wonder how yet another plot line gap will be dealt with.

And we can only guess how much will be left out from DH…I’m particularly partial to Luna’s line “Oh look, a Blibbering Humdinger” myself.

hm, I might watch “Much Ado about Nothing” tonight….“for the sheer enjoyment of it”

Posted by budb on January 07, 2009, 01:55 PM report to moderator

"I love hearing Mum shouting at someone else," said Fred, with a satisfied smile on his face as he opened the door an inch or so to allow Mrs. Weasley's voice to permeate the room better. "It makes such a nice change."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014