Emma Thompson Makes New Comments on Decision Not to Return as Trelawney

Thompson
January 02, 2009, 07:56 PM

In an interview before the release of her latest film, Last Chance Harvey, actress Emma Thompson has made some new comments regarding her decision not to return to the part of Professor Trelawney for the final Harry Potter films. Speaking with the San Francisco Chronicle, Emma Thompson addresses the outcry over her decision, and her upcoming work on the sequel to Nanny McPhee. Quotage:

Thompson does have a creative outlet other than acting, which is her writing. She's been working on a drama about British art critic John Ruskin, and this year filming will start on the sequel to "Nanny McPhee" (2005), which she adapted from a children's book series.

While this project might seem innocent enough, "Harry Potter" fans have been all over Thompson because of reports suggesting that she chose Nanny over Sybil (in the forthcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows") when both were scheduled to be shot at the same time.

"I wasn't being rude at all," says Thompson, who adds that she loves Sybil. "It's so typical, where they take something very, very small and turn it into a big deal. I was never going to be in the next 'Harry Potter.' I sort of put that to bed."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

mollywobbles23

I don’t understand why some people are so upset with her. She has a much bigger role in Nanny McPhee than she had even in POA. In DH, she would throw crystal balls. Not exactly something that inspires an actor.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on January 03, 2009, 07:45 PM report to moderator
shae

nooooooooooooooooo lol no one can ever replace her she was so perfect! im ok as long as they just leave her part out of the movies. seriously no one else could play that part.

Posted by shae on January 03, 2009, 11:05 PM report to moderator
Happy

I loved the movie Nanny McPhee! I’m glad they’re making another one. I don’t mind that she’s leaving Trelawney, even though she was BRILLIANT in that role. I doubt they’ll put her in DH anyway.

Posted by Happy on January 04, 2009, 03:57 AM report to moderator
Crow

Please, they don’t have the time to include that character’s one-page cameo, when I’m sure the lot of you want everything else in the books to make it in. One must think of the expense, also, since I’m sure Ms. Thompson is not a particularly cheaply-hired actress; to have her on set for a few hours, and maybe five seconds of film, is wasted money on the WB’s part.

Posted by Crow on January 04, 2009, 06:05 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

@Hermione, thanks for that tidbit. Fingers crossed then that Dawn Treader gets made as the previous films were pretty good so far. Though I really wish someone can make the elusive Magician’s Nephew. My favourite book of the series.

Posted by Professor Potter on January 04, 2009, 08:26 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Well, they can always have Lucius Malfoy throwing the crystal balls since Jason Isaacs wants as much screen time as he can get!

Posted by Professor Potter on January 04, 2009, 08:33 AM report to moderator
skippy

shame but of course the reporter is going to choose fans who “didn’t get it”

Posted by skippy on January 04, 2009, 11:29 AM report to moderator
kay

that makes me sad but i totally respect her choices. i just wish she could have come back to dh for like 3 days to shoot one scene as trelawney.

Posted by kay on January 04, 2009, 12:49 PM report to moderator
Chris

Oh who cares, really? If the woman doesn’t want to be in “Potter,” she doesn’t deserve to be in it. Her relevancy to the final film is minimal (roughly comparable to the appeal of the Nanny McPhee movies to anyone over 6).

Posted by Chris on January 04, 2009, 12:59 PM report to moderator
Lindsey

Well, if she goes ahead and says all sorts of rude stuff about not being interested, how does she think she won’t be upsetting the fans? Honestly, how could you not be offended by her previous comments?

Posted by Lindsey on January 04, 2009, 04:29 PM report to moderator
anne

as Samwise says on page 3 of the comments, Trelawny’s part in DH is nowhere near as important as those of Sprout and Flitwick. (Unfortunately, as Flitwick has been reduced to a music teacher in the films I don’t hold out hope for his character being in it either!)

Personally, I thought the crystal ball throwing a pretty ridiculous part of the battle scene and I won’t miss its not being in the last film. It’s more of a pity that she won’t be in HBP where there is more important stuff for her to do. I wonder how Harry is going to find out about Snape’s part in the prophesy without her.

Posted by anne on January 04, 2009, 07:02 PM report to moderator
WISEGINNY

It will be sad that Emma Thompson won’t be able to make it back to film the final Harry Potters. A good replacement who looks a lot like Emma, is Caroline Goodall (played Mandy Moore’s mom in Chasing Liberty). I just hope the people who recast Professor Trelawney doesn’t pick someone who looks completely different, like they did with Dumbledore.

Posted by WISEGINNY on January 04, 2009, 11:58 PM report to moderator
Jonty

How very arrogant those comments are. I remember her being a good Trelawny, but her attitude seems to dismiss Harry Potter as something she would not deign to act in.

Posted by Jonty on January 05, 2009, 07:41 AM report to moderator
joey

why are some people taking this so seriously, like it’s a major upheaval of the world? calm it down, rabid fans.

geez, fandom is worse than the paparazzi.

Posted by joey on January 05, 2009, 12:46 PM report to moderator
*Peeved*

As much as I adore her I’m just glad she’s working on a project she’s so passionate. I love her as Trelawney and wasn’t too keen on Nanny McPhee (it was fun but not great) but I admire her greatly as a person and an actress and just want her happy. The HP films disappoint me a lot and subplots and smaller characters such as Trelawney are usually sidelined for additional material usually totally unrelated (Kloves trying for a childish gag or mush usually) so I doubt they’d have done a lot with her even if it had been her choice to return and by the sound of it she wasn’t written into it anyway.

Posted by *Peeved* on January 05, 2009, 01:47 PM report to moderator

"Harry," said Ron, pulling Harry's ear down to his mouth and still giggling weakly, "you know who this girl is, Harry? She's Loony... Loony Lovegood... ha ha ha..."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014