Emma Thompson Makes New Comments on Decision Not to Return as Trelawney

Thompson
January 02, 2009, 07:56 PM

In an interview before the release of her latest film, Last Chance Harvey, actress Emma Thompson has made some new comments regarding her decision not to return to the part of Professor Trelawney for the final Harry Potter films. Speaking with the San Francisco Chronicle, Emma Thompson addresses the outcry over her decision, and her upcoming work on the sequel to Nanny McPhee. Quotage:

Thompson does have a creative outlet other than acting, which is her writing. She's been working on a drama about British art critic John Ruskin, and this year filming will start on the sequel to "Nanny McPhee" (2005), which she adapted from a children's book series.

While this project might seem innocent enough, "Harry Potter" fans have been all over Thompson because of reports suggesting that she chose Nanny over Sybil (in the forthcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows") when both were scheduled to be shot at the same time.

"I wasn't being rude at all," says Thompson, who adds that she loves Sybil. "It's so typical, where they take something very, very small and turn it into a big deal. I was never going to be in the next 'Harry Potter.' I sort of put that to bed."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Lorelai

Oh well it’s a shame she is not comming back. I realy liked her as Trelawney. :)

Posted by Lorelai on January 02, 2009, 08:02 PM report to moderator
Juliette

Wow, I can’t believe it. I was really looking forward to seeing her in Deathly Hallows.

Posted by Juliette on January 02, 2009, 08:05 PM report to moderator
ariana

ya.. she really was a great trelawney!

Posted by ariana on January 02, 2009, 08:08 PM report to moderator
Ana xR+

Come on! she was perfect for that character!

Posted by Ana xR+ on January 02, 2009, 08:08 PM report to moderator
wizardinventor

I wish she had stayed, but I see her reasoning and why she chose to stay with something she wrote. Shame though, that she’snot likes Issacs who absolutely loves his charcter even though he only appears in a pitcture!

Posted by wizardinventor on January 02, 2009, 08:10 PM report to moderator
T-Vey

“fans have been all over Thompson”
Really?? That’s news to me… That’s really too bad. She is really talented and has a lot going for her! I think most of us can understand that. We understand she wasn’t being rude at all in her decision!
Love you Emma! And good luck with “Nanny”! :D
Still…I wonder… They can’t possibly imagine replacing her for DH, can they? It just wouldn’t be the same… Shame that she was cut from HBP

Posted by T-Vey on January 02, 2009, 08:29 PM report to moderator
emmy

It’s so typical that the journalists only brought out the comments of HP fans that didn’t get it! There are lots of us fans that didn’t protest, or think she ‘chose’ her stuff over Harry, or whatever! Tsss

Posted by emmy on January 02, 2009, 08:32 PM report to moderator
Keira

It’s a shame she wasn’t going to be in it, but I’m glad (though a little stung) that she made public her thoughts on Harry Potter fans blowing things out of proportion.

Posted by Keira on January 02, 2009, 08:34 PM report to moderator
Kaity

I feel like all of the actors should have committed in the beginning so things like this wouldn’t happen.. Unless of course they passed away. That’s a good excuse.

Posted by Kaity on January 02, 2009, 08:42 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

Well, this is not a surprise, really. Ms Thompson has more, to her career, than HP. How interesting that the media chose to site the fans who “didn’t get it”…but, it’s just too bad that they had that to site! I think Ms Thompson was very polite and straight forward, in her comments, regarding ‘Professor Trelawny’. While it would have been nice, to have her back, she had already made her decision. She deserves to be able to carry on, with her own projects, without everyone “jumping on her” [which, I’m sorry to say, happened when the announcement was originally made] Good luck, with your future projects, Ms Thompson! A wonderful actress, and screen writer! And thank you, for giving us such a wonderful ‘Professor Trelawny’!

Posted by Confederate Lady on January 02, 2009, 08:51 PM report to moderator
kyle777

They probably didn’t write her character into Deathly Hallows anyway, since she appears in the book for, what? One scene where she drops crystal balls in the Battle of Hogwarts?

Posted by kyle777 on January 02, 2009, 09:09 PM report to moderator
javier

trelawney has about one page or less in hallows so it’s not like we were wainting to see her on screen…

Posted by javier on January 02, 2009, 09:10 PM report to moderator
K

I thought she was a sh*t Trelawney, and now i think even less of her for not committing to HP. good riddance

Posted by K on January 02, 2009, 09:15 PM report to moderator
T-Vey

Hey, that half page that she was in was pretty important to the overall plot!!! (jk). But if she had no other projects, I seriously would loooved to see her her serving her crystal balls on the Death Eaters!!! Lol

Posted by T-Vey on January 02, 2009, 09:19 PM report to moderator
Amy Darlene

yes, I wish she had a spare day in her schedule to throw some crystal balls…(which would so rock!!!) but Nanny McPhee rocks too… i have the book and the movie and wait… I have most of Emma’s work… even Dead Again. I thought she was a wonderful Trelawny I have a few friends that that character resembles and it made me laugh sooooo hard.

Posted by Amy Darlene on January 02, 2009, 09:58 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

[i]This is a two-way mirror. I've got the other. If you need to speak to me, just say my name into it; you'll appear in my mirror and I'll be able to talk in yours. James and I used to use them when we were in separate detentions.