Hallows of Hogwarts "for years" working title of DH

Harry, A History
Posted by: Melissa
January 19, 2009, 03:15 AM

A small but fun factual nugget was hidden in the JKR interview from Harry, A History (which is available here). I've posted it now on the Web site. It seems Hallows of Hogwarts was a working title for DH; this title had been trademarked along with a bunch of others but (it seems) hadn't ever been pegged as an actual working title - until now. A fun fact for all of us who like to obsess. Click the link to read more and enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Harry, A History News

roonwit

burningpumpkins: I don’t think we know that. Slytherin could be before or after the Peveralls, either is possible, though I think it is more likely the Peveralls were after the Founders, since that Ignotus is buried in a town named after Godric Gryffindor.

Posted by roonwit on January 19, 2009, 11:03 AM report to moderator
jmas1357

I find it very interesting that the Hallows of Hogwarts were once what the story was about and then “It changed completely.” If the Hallows had all been items that belonged to the founders and with an extra one or two thrown in from Slytherin, it would have been a much tighter end to the story. The sudden appearance of the Peverell stuff really seemed to come out of left field.
Much as I loved Deathly Hallows, I was disappointed by a couple of things in the story. The first is that it seemed like a shotgun fire of story elements that hadn’t been seem in the first six books, while simultaneously “remembering” back to earlier events in a superficial way without tying them in firmly. And secondly, why on earth didn’t Harry recall how Slughorm was getting along by borrowing peoples’ houses while they were on holiday and get the heck out of that stupid tent?

Posted by jmas1357 on January 19, 2009, 12:15 PM report to moderator
Selina

Eh… Hallows of Hogwarts isn’t really accurate is it? Unless as someone else said the Hallows were originally going to be tied to Hogwarts/the Founders. Which actually would have been really cool!

Posted by Selina on January 19, 2009, 12:27 PM report to moderator
YodatheHobbit

I’m sure the reason Harry didn’t occupy a house has something to do with increased ministry surveillance of muggles during the deathly hallows year. Also, they had to use the tent because they needed to be mobile in order to find the Horcruxes and they couldn’t stay in one place for so long due to the risk of getting caught. The longer you’re at on location the high the risk is of somebody finding you.

Posted by YodatheHobbit on January 19, 2009, 01:10 PM report to moderator
hambro

I agree with you, Dawna. Thanks, Melissa, that was a great book!

Posted by hambro on January 19, 2009, 01:39 PM report to moderator
Butterbeer

I think “Deathly Hallows” was chosen to keep people thinking that Harry was going to die, right up until the book came out.

Melissa, you’re an excellent writer! I’d love to see you try your hand at fiction next. :-)

Posted by Butterbeer on January 19, 2009, 02:26 PM report to moderator
Sloppy The House Elf

I really enjoyed reading Harry-A History. Thank you.
What I would really love to know is this: At the Harry, Carrie and Garp reading, Jo said she had had another idea for the title of book 7. What was it? Has she ever said?

Posted by Sloppy The House Elf on January 19, 2009, 02:56 PM report to moderator
Mills

Hey voldy! yes they are related. if you think about how JKR said there were 1000 students in Hogwarts then the wizerding would is very small. plus Merope was pure-blood and so was James. it wouldn’t suprise me.

Posted by Mills on January 19, 2009, 03:00 PM report to moderator
ele0206

Uhm… I don’t really like it. It’s too trivial (it’s that the right word?). And, emmy, you got the point. The Hallows aren’t related to Hogwarts at all, so..
I can’t think of a more right title than “The Deathly Hallows”: they play a fundamental part in the book. I cried sooo much when Harry decides not to go and search for the Resurrection Stone, in the end. Harry’s dilemma (search the Hallows or the Horcruxes) made me love, if possible, even more his character.
Maybe I went a little off topic but I hope I explained well what I feel about the title of this seven, last book. (See, I can’t say “last” without hoping it isn’t the last one).
Sorry if there are some grammar errors, I’m italian.
Goodnight everybody!!

Posted by ele0206 on January 19, 2009, 04:03 PM report to moderator
Ben

Off-topic, i’m sorry.
The Puzzle Pirates ad on top creates pop-up’s… sadface

Posted by Ben on January 19, 2009, 04:29 PM report to moderator
mandy

i like DH better,hallows of hogwarts sounds too sissy and waaaaay to many h’s

Posted by mandy on January 19, 2009, 08:12 PM report to moderator
kira902k

im glad she didnt call it that! they’re not exactly hallows of HOGWARTS.
i’m sure she’d never do it though.

Posted by kira902k on January 19, 2009, 08:36 PM report to moderator
Voldemort

I HAS RESURECTED FROM THE DAED. I SHEALL KIELL YOU.

(i no speall weall)

Posted by Voldemort on January 19, 2009, 08:50 PM report to moderator
Author By Night

When are we getting the full interview, anyway?

Posted by Author By Night on January 19, 2009, 09:53 PM report to moderator
emmy

@ Voldemort

Voldemort isn’t just ‘dead’. Didn’t you read the books?! :P ;)

Posted by emmy on January 19, 2009, 09:53 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Harry," she said timidly, "don't you see? This... this is exactly why we need you... We need to know what it's r-really like... facing him... facing V-Voldemort."[br]It was the first time she had ever said Voldemort's name, and it was this, more than any