Finite Incantatem, Inauguration and Musical Rumors

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Melissa
January 13, 2009, 12:49 PM

The Scotsman today has two items in a Harry Potter report: First, that J.K. Rowling is on expected to receive an invite to one of January 20th's Inaugural Balls in Washington, DC. This seems to have traveled from one article suggesting JKR would be on the list for future state dinners, to another speculating that she'd be at the inauguration, to another claiming she will be. As of this moment no invitation has been received. (And with seven days to go, that committee better hurry to the post office.)

The other regards the often-rumored Harry Potter musical, the premise of which you will remember (from an earlier TLC report) Dan Radcliffe soundly rejecting; JKR's agent has told the Scotsman that a musical is not in the works, "full stop."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

radcakesfan

This writers in teh Times was impressed by Obama for many reasons "… it was clear that you had lost none of the humanity of the junior senator who once enlisted me on a quest for Harry Potter’s autograph for a small constituent in his own home. " Quote

I wonder if he got it and if Dan realizes….

Posted by radcakesfan on January 13, 2009, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Maggie

Yeah, with seven days to go…I doubt she will be invited. That sucks though, because I think it’s going to be amazing!

Also, as for a HP musical- noooo thank you! Sure, I love the theatre, but Harry Potter is the type of literature that is worlds away from anything broadway-bound. It is far too amazing!

Posted by Maggie on January 13, 2009, 10:16 PM report to moderator
Bez

If there is ever Harry, the mustical I probably won’t be around, but if it could be anything like Les Miserable is would be fantastic.
Les Mis begins in misery goes from bad to worse has a great battle scene and ends with love triumphant. The best musical ever for me!

Posted by Bez on January 14, 2009, 06:17 AM report to moderator
Iolanthe

I heard invites were very tight this year and everybody in Washington was scrambling for them. Because Jo is a British subject and not a US citizen, I don’t think she would be invited except if the Embassy had some extras, and probably wouldn’t want to go without her whole family. I’m sure she’ll be invited to meet the kids at some point though if they read her books, and she’ll be their guest then, which would be more appropriate. The inaugural invites are really for people who helped you get elected and supported your campaign financially, etc. as well as the people who are on the “must” list. There are general invites for around 1500 people but they just go through a receiving line and are not regarded as personal guests of the president, and that doesn’t seem like the right thing for her.

Posted by Iolanthe on January 14, 2009, 11:10 AM report to moderator
Jeanne

Roger wrote, “I don’t want Harry Potter associated with the travesty that is the Obama inauguration. This country is royally screwed now.”

I guess there was one person who had to turn this negative. But why did it have to be you?

Posted by Jeanne on January 14, 2009, 02:34 PM report to moderator
Rhiannon

mg If you typed that interview, then that is where I got it. I love HP World, but you can take a thing too far. A musical is too far. Thanks for the transcript. (I did cut some of it out. LOL)

Posted by Rhiannon on January 14, 2009, 02:58 PM report to moderator
kay

Roger, I respect you’re opinion, but i disagree. i think that the world will be SAVED on January 20th. (ok not really, that’s an exageration, it’s gonna take lots of work, but i think the it helps we now that have obama). I think it would be amazingly awesome if she went to the gala. if my dad was getting inogurated, i would force him to invite jo rowling! oh, to be his daughters at the gala!

Posted by kay on January 14, 2009, 03:51 PM report to moderator
Laura

No to the HP musical idea. I love Harry Potter, but I do NOT want them to make a musical about it. That would just be weird.

Posted by Laura on January 14, 2009, 07:33 PM report to moderator
Mike

Laura:

I totally agree with you.“No to the HP musical idea.”

And no to the presidency of Obama! And for all of those people out there who say that non-Obama supporters are racist, come off it! I am NOT racist. Besides,this may be the last time I get to freely express myself, since someone wants to get rid of the “Freedom of Speech” Amendment, cough Obama cough Sorry, I had to get all of that out of my system.

Roger:

I have to say that I agree 100% with you. This country is wonderful and I am totally pround to be an American, but I think that the election of Obama might as well have been the last nail in her coffin.

Anyway, I don’t think Rowling would waste her time going to the Inauguration. My understanding is that the Obamas are Harry Potter fans, so that must be why she was on the invite list.

Kay:

I have to disagree with you thorougly. I DO NOT think that the world will be saved January 20th. I personally, think that the world will be put in a worse situation. Do not get me wrong, and I do not mean to offend Obama or any Obama supporters, but I am a strongly convicted Republican and I voted for McCain and Palin.

Anyway, onto more Harry Potter related things. I do believe that it would prove interesting if Harry Potter were a musical, but I cannot really picture it. I mean, other big books/movies like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Twilight, they’re all great series, but they just don’t fit the broadway world, in my opinion.

Posted by Mike on January 14, 2009, 07:49 PM report to moderator
George

Okay, Kay, I have to disagree. And the rest of you McCain haters that are Obama’s supporters, you act like you worship the man. Sheesh!

Anyway, I say no the the HP musical idea.

Posted by George on January 14, 2009, 07:51 PM report to moderator
Mike

I found an error that I made, earlier. Sorry. Where it says “pround” I meant proud.

Posted by Mike on January 14, 2009, 07:57 PM report to moderator
budb

well, folks, i follow the bits and pieces here on Leaky for one simple reason: it has absolutely nothing to do with everyday reality. There are plenty of other places where we can talk politics, but very few where we can really discuss HP. May I ask that we keep the two worlds separated?

and with that, I’ll leave a large bowl of chocolates out on the counter for all of you to share…as Remus pointed out “Eat! It helps!”

Posted by budb on January 14, 2009, 08:16 PM report to moderator
Liza

Can we please stop with the political attacks? Harry Potter has almost always been safe from too much talk of politics and clashing opinions (that almost always leave someone insulted or hurt).

Posted by Liza on January 14, 2009, 08:19 PM report to moderator
Layton

Mike: its republicans that want to get rid of the Freedom of Speech. They are the ones always trying to censor things including in some cases Harry Potter. They have been dominated by the Religious right which is a major problem with the party. Obama isn’t going to take away the first amendment and if you think he will you need to stop drinking the kool aid.

Posted by Layton on January 15, 2009, 12:40 AM report to moderator
Mills

Just to let ya’ll know it’s not true, http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/2110 i don’t know if you guys knew already.

Posted by Mills on January 15, 2009, 04:57 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Harry... I as good as killed them," he croaked. "I persuaded Lily and James to change to Peter at the last moment, persuaded them to use him as Secret-Keeper instead of me... I'm to blame, I know it..."