Finite Incantatem, Inauguration and Musical Rumors

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Melissa
January 13, 2009, 12:49 PM

The Scotsman today has two items in a Harry Potter report: First, that J.K. Rowling is on expected to receive an invite to one of January 20th's Inaugural Balls in Washington, DC. This seems to have traveled from one article suggesting JKR would be on the list for future state dinners, to another speculating that she'd be at the inauguration, to another claiming she will be. As of this moment no invitation has been received. (And with seven days to go, that committee better hurry to the post office.)

The other regards the often-rumored Harry Potter musical, the premise of which you will remember (from an earlier TLC report) Dan Radcliffe soundly rejecting; JKR's agent has told the Scotsman that a musical is not in the works, "full stop."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

izziewitch

pensieveplotter: yes, they are fans. Or at least Malia is; Obama said he had read the books with her.

Posted by izziewitch on January 13, 2009, 04:50 PM report to moderator
Rachel

A musical doesn’t necsesarily have to be comical or riddiculous. If you think this is the case, I’m afraid you’ve been given the wrong impression of musical theater. There are plenty of really good dramatic musicals. They just made Lord of the Rings into a musical and I must say it was pretty good. If they can do it with an epic like that it COULD be done with Harry Potter as well. Though I’ll admit I don’t imediately see musical potential and I agree that it would have to be put into the right hands in order for it to work.

If it was created by a corporate machine I could see it being a terrible disaster. However, if it was created by fans there could be the possibility for something really special. This gives me an idea actually…

Posted by Rachel on January 13, 2009, 04:53 PM report to moderator
kamion

why the heck should there NOt be a Harry the Musical?
or Harry the Opera?
I think John Adams ( “Nixon in China”,“the Death of Klinghoffer”, “On the Transmigration of Souls”) could write some very decent and suitable music for the story.
It doesn’t always have to be easygoing, easyselling singalongs by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Every story can be turned into a piece of musical performance, a lot of stories a composer like Tchaikowsky have even less substance then Harry Potter.
But the storyline would always be submissive to the music, as the storyline is submissive to the image in the movies, it would therefor be farther removed from the books then the movies.

Posted by kamion on January 13, 2009, 05:00 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

@budb….ROFLMSS! Melissa, dancing the Macarena? LOLOLOL! [I can’t breathe] and “ScoobyDoo Meets The Death Eaters”!!!!! Why not ‘Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny as Power Rangers?!!!! LOL. ’Harry, A History: The Musical’…..wow!

Posted by Confederate Lady on January 13, 2009, 05:10 PM report to moderator
tinagin

Well I doubt she will be there barring any credible information to back this up. If it turns out to be true I might just have to rethink not going to the swearing in and squeezing myself in the metro for the ride to DC. Then there will be at least one Harry Potter fan representin’.

Posted by tinagin on January 13, 2009, 05:30 PM report to moderator
budb

In an interview, Mr. Obama mentioned that he read HP to the girls; given their ages its most likely that they are more familiar with the films,,,

BTW, has anyone watched the West Wing series, especially the Halloween episode when the kid dressed up as HP? Those last two years of WW are almost a forecast (dare I saw prophecy?) of our real life US political election!

Posted by budb on January 13, 2009, 05:32 PM report to moderator
bob

inaugurations only come every time we have a new president.

Posted by bob on January 13, 2009, 05:34 PM report to moderator
budb

Glad I did something right today, C Lady! ;-)

Posted by budb on January 13, 2009, 05:46 PM report to moderator
Jenn

Saw that WW episode. And yes, many have commented on how the last two seasons echoed the election. Aaron Sorkin must have been hanging about with Prof. Trelawney.

Posted by Jenn on January 13, 2009, 06:56 PM report to moderator
Roger

I don’t want Harry Potter associated with the travesty that is the Obama inauguration. This country is royally screwed now.

Posted by Roger on January 13, 2009, 07:09 PM report to moderator
Random Person

Melissa, I would love to see you do this dance you have mentioned. I will gladly join in.

I personally would protest (signs, t-shirts, ect.) a HP musical. I wouldn’t be against a cartoon, as long as it was half decent and not corny.

I’m also happy that our president-elect has read HP. It makes me like him a bit more. (Sorry, I’m not a big Obama fan.)

Posted by Random Person on January 13, 2009, 07:10 PM report to moderator
Rhiannon

As Dan Radcliffe said in a recent interview.

“No, no, no, I..no….oh god no. I mean it would be just so bad if there were a Harry Potter musical. I mean I have heard things about it but I really….really…hope it doesn’t happen because it’s not what it’s about at all…there are some things which you could make into a musical quite comfortably….Harry Potter…I don’t know where the songs are…I think the image of old people in wizards robes dancing is just…..oh no….I would I…..I…it wouldn’t have my blessing I’d have to say.”

That pretty much sums it up.

Posted by Rhiannon on January 13, 2009, 07:58 PM report to moderator
Eeyore

I remember in an interview, the question to Obama was something about how he managed to still do normal things with his family. The one that he mentioned was that he had read ALL the Harry Potter books with Malia. Which just made me smile.

And the other day I heard someone (can’t remember who it was) who is working on the inaugural doings saying that she wished she could use some of Harry Potter’s magic to make it all happen. She went on to say how much easier it would be if they could use the Floo Network to get all the dignataries there – much easier than it will be with all the security for something so large. Again, I had to smile – but I was in the car and it was on NPR, so I don’t know who it was.

Pat

Posted by Eeyore on January 13, 2009, 09:10 PM report to moderator
davidenglish

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Wizenmagot

Posted by davidenglish on January 13, 2009, 09:19 PM report to moderator
mg

That looks like the transcript I typed up from Daniel’s “Ask a Star” interview :). And I agree with every word, stutter, syllable, exclamation he said…please…. no on a HP musical. Or do it when I’m long gone.

I’m used to Daniel looking different from Harry but have only seen Rupert as Ron. I can’t get over his look in the Cherrybomb pics!!

Posted by mg on January 13, 2009, 10:10 PM report to moderator

"Get too near a dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you. If it can, the dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself... soul-less and evil. You'll be left with nothing but the worst exp