Dan Radcliffe on Harry Potter Book Purists and Fans of the Films

Radcliffe Interviews
January 10, 2009, 04:51 PM

The Australian Herald Sun has released a new interview with Dan Radcliffe, where the Harry Potter gives his thoughts about the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and the two Deathly Hallows films. Of HBP he says he thinks they have struck a type of balance between the darker, intensity found in the sixth book and a bit of humor. Dan says "I mean, the one thing when I read the script I could always yearn for was more darkness and more of that real intense stuff, because I enjoy doing that more, but hopefully this time we have struck a balance between that darkness and a certain comedy in this film. "And what I think we've managed to do is not make it that kind of comedy that is farcical and pulling faces. "It's not that kind of comedy at all, it's much more subtle than that and hopefully people will find it funny - that's the aim anyway.''

Of particular interest are Dan Radcliffe's comments on the the two Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films, and book purists feelings about the Harry Potter films. Quotage: "I think when the fans came on to the first film there would have been a section of the audience that didn't want to like it because they were the purists of the book,'' he says. "There are still those people out there, but you are never going to change their minds so just don't even try.

"So I think the majority of the people out there, because the fan base has grown at about the rate the films have come out, we've managed to keep making them darker and dark enough to maintain the interests of these people.

"And I think actually through making the films darker we've gained a lot. And also through people like (director) David Yates directing them, a certain amount of respect has been gained for the films as cinema.''

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

porpy1

Oh no. This is the first time I think I don’t like Dan. Bummer. The dude seems smug about his “movies” and condescending to “purists”. Films, of course are not replicas of the entire book, but if I could have it that way – then yeah! I guess I’m a purist who will never be satisfied. I love the books. And I will see the films (as dark as they get) one way or another, because just like Snape loved Evans – I always hope they’ll turn around to me. I wish the films were just like the books. I admit it. And David Yates sucks, the order of the Phoenix sucked big time. So – yeah Dan, I guess you can presuppose I won’t like the next 3 films. Try to understand why instead of whipping us for it.

Posted by porpy1 on January 13, 2009, 11:09 PM report to moderator
blueyedragon

I think that the books are still much darker than the films no matter what they say!….I mean they left out all the dark stuff out in OOTP!…I found the intense scenes boring!….And actually the only people that likes Yates directing are well….confused!….I hate the fact yates is directing the last films!

Posted by blueyedragon on January 14, 2009, 09:35 AM report to moderator
Anukriti Singh

I don’t think I’m a book purist but it does annoy me when the movies contain inaccuracies. I wouldn’t mind the director adding stuff as long as it follows JK’s rules for the magical world. However, after the second movie, the movies have seem too rushed, with some unnecesary scenes added. For instance, In GOF, the movie shows Harry and the order members flying quite low, in full view of muggles. The battle with the dragon on Hogwart’s roof was too lengthy. Also, the clothing has grown to be too mugglish. In POA, the actors are wearing jeans and T shirts most of the time.
I know it’s challenging to include everything in the movies. But it’s not quite Harry Potter if you don’t follow the magical world’s rules. I think most of the actors are doing a fantastic job, especially the ones that play Hagrid, Snape, Ron Hermione and Harry. But Michael Gambon must do some research on his character. Dumbledore wouldn’t push Harry back and scream “DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET?!??!?!”

Posted by Anukriti Singh on January 16, 2009, 08:49 PM report to moderator
scott

POA and vision.
That scene with Buckbeak dying and Ron’s face, and Hermione starting to cry and going to Ron and then Harry holding her.
Said more to me about how important Ron is to this Trio than words could. Its forever in my soul, that vision.

The flying across the Lake on Buckbeak. Harry wants to live and love. I saw it. I saw him yell for joy and smile.

I heard the music and thought about Harry and his father, and how both Potter men would have died for Sirius.

I could go on but it’s late.
Maybe a little silver doe or forest again or that scene with Harry dying to defend Sirius, or jumping out and defending Sirius and living.
Or maybe to celebrate Obama, watch JKR at Harvard!

Posted by scott on January 17, 2009, 12:52 AM report to moderator
Kschenke

There are always going to be things you’re disappointed didn’t make it into the film (HP6 and HP7 are my favorites of the whole series, so I know there will be a letdown or two). At the same time, any film adaptation of any book is going to be at least a little different from how you pictured it in your head, so it really is best to take it with a grain of salt.

Posted by Kschenke on January 17, 2009, 05:42 AM report to moderator
Bobtheduck

Purists are one thing… It doesn’t have to be a 1:1 changeover to stay faithful, but anyone who really thinks those movies have really been faithful to the books is in denial… From “Hermione has to know and explain everything” to mr “Actors should never research the source material” dumbledore… And the best player in the last movie was… That’s right, a FAN. Evanna Lynch’s Luna was the only thing keeping Order from being a complete stinkbomb. Well, that and the Dumbledore vs Voldemort fight which was freaking awesome. It was a deviation from the book that worked.

They could have made these movies 3 hour movies like the Lord of the Rings movies, and they could have fixed the glaring problems and despite cutting a lot of things out still, they could keep important things they left out, but they chose to make the movies short (except for Chris Columbus, and I’m glad he was so adamant about getting as much as he could into it, even if his crew was responsible for some of the more infamous changes) and GoF and OotP suffer from being barely coherent bits of fluff suffering from the gaping wound of missing narrative…

I’m watching the movies for Luna, now. Evanna Lynch is the magical piece, and the only thing that will let me get any sort of joy out of the last 3 movies.

Posted by Bobtheduck on January 21, 2009, 04:59 AM report to moderator
I-quote_hufflepuff067_thumb

There’s been lots of Dan interviews lately… they’re all about Eqqus. Eugh. More Potter = more fun.

Posted by SylvieTheHufflepuff on January 30, 2009, 06:31 PM report to moderator

[Lucius] got up, his face livid, and pulled out his wand, but Dobby raised a long, threatening finger.[br]"You shall go now," he said fiercely, pointing down at Mr. Malfoy. "You shall not touch Harry Potter. You shall go now."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014