Dan Radcliffe on Harry Potter Book Purists and Fans of the Films

Radcliffe Interviews
January 10, 2009, 04:51 PM

The Australian Herald Sun has released a new interview with Dan Radcliffe, where the Harry Potter gives his thoughts about the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and the two Deathly Hallows films. Of HBP he says he thinks they have struck a type of balance between the darker, intensity found in the sixth book and a bit of humor. Dan says "I mean, the one thing when I read the script I could always yearn for was more darkness and more of that real intense stuff, because I enjoy doing that more, but hopefully this time we have struck a balance between that darkness and a certain comedy in this film. "And what I think we've managed to do is not make it that kind of comedy that is farcical and pulling faces. "It's not that kind of comedy at all, it's much more subtle than that and hopefully people will find it funny - that's the aim anyway.''

Of particular interest are Dan Radcliffe's comments on the the two Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films, and book purists feelings about the Harry Potter films. Quotage: "I think when the fans came on to the first film there would have been a section of the audience that didn't want to like it because they were the purists of the book,'' he says. "There are still those people out there, but you are never going to change their minds so just don't even try.

"So I think the majority of the people out there, because the fan base has grown at about the rate the films have come out, we've managed to keep making them darker and dark enough to maintain the interests of these people.

"And I think actually through making the films darker we've gained a lot. And also through people like (director) David Yates directing them, a certain amount of respect has been gained for the films as cinema.''

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

givemesomeTLC

Oh Dan…as always you are just too eloquent

Posted by givemesomeTLC on January 10, 2009, 04:57 PM report to moderator
talley

I think, from what I’ve seen of the trailers, that this film will be more of a dark/funny mix, but they do say that about every movie, so its hard to tell.

Posted by talley on January 10, 2009, 04:58 PM report to moderator
Lorelai

Yep I agree with Dan. The films are getting darker and I’m glad they kept the comedy in. :)

Posted by Lorelai on January 10, 2009, 04:58 PM report to moderator
Padfoot Lover

I noticed that about the book too. It has the perfect balance of darkness and comedy. H-BP was the funniest book by far. The whole Ron/Hermione/Lavander triangle is hillarious!!! And how Hermione tries to make Ron jelouse by using McLaggan. So funny!!! best book out of the series. Oh and I can’t wait for all the H/G stuff!!!

Posted by Padfoot Lover on January 10, 2009, 05:05 PM report to moderator
Scully

Dan’s spot on about the book purists, many of whom frequent fan sites such as this one. They’ll never be satisfied with the movie adaptions but instead of sticking to the books, they watch them because it gives them the excuse to whinge and complain.

Posted by Scully on January 10, 2009, 05:13 PM report to moderator
ChantyBabez

Haha,, Thats scary i’m watching Most Haunted Live! And Just went on muggle net and read this article then came on leaky and it was on here which freaked me out! my mom said i should write in to Most Haunted and tell them they’re interupting my potter news! Haha But i like the films dark with a few hidden laughs that mostly fans would understand :D x x x

Posted by ChantyBabez on January 10, 2009, 05:15 PM report to moderator
redwall_hp

I’m a book purist, but I learned one rule from Harry Potter that applies to any book-to-movie adaption: The movie is not the book, and therefore will not be exactly the same. It’s a different medium, and “creative liberties” are bound to be taken. The movie won’t diminish the book in any way, and may get more people to read the original, so just enjoy it for what it is.

Posted by redwall_hp on January 10, 2009, 05:17 PM report to moderator
Robyn

Very true redwall_hp. I totally agree. I like the books and I like the movies, but books are movies are two different mediums of entertainment and can’t be the exact same. Dan is so great and he seems really thoughtful about these types of things. I’m happy that the films are getting darker in a sort of lead up to the final film!

Posted by Robyn on January 10, 2009, 05:23 PM report to moderator
mg

The HBP has high potential to be the best movie of the lot up to this point. I do love the balance of comedy and tragedy in HBP. I laughed out loud and cried reading the same book.

Daniel is so thoughtful on the films. I know he’s ready to devote everything and more to HP 7.

Posted by mg on January 10, 2009, 05:26 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Dan is very clued up about the HP film business and their audience. As usual he demonstrates a lot of intelligent thought in his opinions. I think he summed up the “purist” section of the audience pretty well although I think he might be a bit harsh in saying they go in “not wanting to like it”. Some do, actually. But that’s a very small minority, most purists are simply very hard to please if they are wanting an absolute faithful interpretation. Some fans, through no fault of their own are just not knowledged enough about book to film adaptations to realise it is nigh on impossible to create an absolute faithful adaptation without losing an entertaining narrative flow.

I wont be surprised if Dan eventually becomes a film director or producer later. He’s got so much energy and enthusiasm for the whole film making craft. He seems to like dark a lot though, so he might turn out quite depressing films!

Posted by Professor Potter on January 10, 2009, 05:33 PM report to moderator
mg

Haha…after seeing him play Alan Strang a few times, Daniel is definitely not afraid of the Dark side!

Posted by mg on January 10, 2009, 05:36 PM report to moderator
Envy

Oh I love Daniel Radcliffe……..Im excited about the sixth one being a bit more funny, I have already seen some of the funny parts in the trailer! HPB better meet the standards of the book.

Posted by Envy on January 10, 2009, 05:39 PM report to moderator
hambro

I’m really excited for hbp! However, even dan said he wanted it to be darker… which I do, but I like the fact that he said it’s not pulling faces comedy romance, because in the trailers it looked like that and I didn’t find it funny.

Posted by hambro on January 10, 2009, 05:44 PM report to moderator
tory

i love how dan has embraced the fact that the book purists will never be swayed :) lol but REAL fans of the series respect the books and the films as two COMPLETELY different things (just like JKR).

Posted by tory on January 10, 2009, 05:50 PM report to moderator
mg

Yeah, I think we’re lucky to have both. Both are great and fun and special. The movies are very well done and they bring in more HP book readers who eventually fall in love with the whole series. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted by mg on January 10, 2009, 05:56 PM report to moderator

"The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to -- er -- let our hair down," she said, in a disapproving voice.[br]Lavender giggled harder than ever... Harry could see what was funny this time: Professor McGonagall, with her hair in a tight bun, looked