Dan Radcliffe on Dumbledore's Funeral for Half-Blood Prince, Emma Watson on Deathly Hallows Split

HBP Film
January 01, 2009, 08:44 AM

Happy 2009! To start our new year off, we have two new interviews from cast members of the Harry Potter films. First up: Entertainment Weekly is previewing the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by releasing a close up photo of an almost kiss between Harry (Dan Radcliffe) and Ginny (Bonnie Wright). There is a short article as well, featuring  a new interview with Dan, where he mentions filming Dumbledore's funeral. The piece reads: "Shooting Dumbledore's funeral was another tough scene for Radcliffe, as it took on the personality of an Irish wake thanks to some not-so-mournful extras: ''Because there's a lot of people there, it's one of those things that takes on a party atmosphere.'' As fans will recall, earlier reports had stated this scene was not in the film.

Also Dan comments on the budding romance of Ginny and Harry, by saying ''Harry's got a real thing for her, and that is slightly odd, because when we met, I was 11 and she was 9, and she was only ever Ron's little sister,'' says Radcliffe, now 19. ''But that all changed, and here we are snogging.''

MTV has the second bit of news, this in the form of a new interview with Emma Watson, who comments on the split of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the two movies. Noting she still has not yet received the scripts for the film which is due to begin next month in mid-February, she says she does not know where the break will take place: “I don’t know,” she replied. “I am as intrigued as you are. I am waiting at the moment to receive the script. It’s a tough call. I’m sure it will be some cruel cliffhanger.”

On leaving the role of Hermione behind after filming completes for the Deathly Hallows films, Emma Watson reflected by noting “It’s really mixed feelings,” Watson gushed. “It will be bittersweet. It will be very scary because it’s been such a massive part of my life. It will have been nearly over a decade that I’d been playing Hermione. It’ll be tough but I’ll be ready to go I think. I’ll be ready to take on other projects. It will be exciting.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

weB3now

I just wish they would have let the first kiss be what is was in the book—it would have been SO FANTASTIC to see that moment for the both of them…and the shrug of acceptance from Ron. It was the one moment I was hoping to see the most. The pre-screening reports have their first kiss being this sneaky little thing in the ROR after she hides the book for him and she gives him a peck and runs out.

That’s so NOT how it should be.

Posted by weB3now on January 01, 2009, 12:54 PM report to moderator
hambro

From what dan says, “here we are snogging” it seems like he didn’t enjoy the kiss… Bet it was awkward And now there’s a funeral, but I bet it’s different from the book, test screeners said something about raising wands into the air..

Posted by hambro on January 01, 2009, 12:57 PM report to moderator
hambro

Paulo? Where did you get that information from… Please reply!!!

Posted by hambro on January 01, 2009, 01:01 PM report to moderator
splinched

I’m glad to hear dumbledores funeral is in there, they have a habit of mangling the books pretty good , dont get me started on the beginning of GoF ><!

I thought that they should do their mangling of the book as usual, but leave the last 3 chapters untouched, they are my favorite in all the books, whenever i feel bad, i read them. dumbledore is a huge character and to cut them in any way would be a travesty.

as for DH, they cut so many things in previous movies, anyone who has’nt read the books will be lost.

Posted by splinched on January 01, 2009, 01:09 PM report to moderator
ScottMan

Yeah, that quote does look like it was taken out of context. It’s like saying there were aliens invading Melissa Anelli’s home last night and she was reported saying “Nerk nerk nerk” at them. That’s a very direct quote, those words were said by her, and it’s all wrapped in completely erroneous stuff.

It’s so tempting to believe there will be a funeral for Dumbledore, and there’s a real kiss between Harry and Ginny, and all this stuff about secret scenes that they’re hiding from us, but alas, it’s little more than wishful thinking.

Posted by ScottMan on January 01, 2009, 01:27 PM report to moderator
wizardinventor

I think that they probably filmed the funeral, as Dan mentioned, but are still deciding upon whether to include it in the film or not. The quote from the filmmakers might not be valid anymore and they may have chosen otherwise.

Posted by wizardinventor on January 01, 2009, 01:29 PM report to moderator
JKMcGonagall

I seem to remember something being said somewhere about moving Dumbledore’s funeral to the beginning of the first Deathly Hallows movie. That could work. They have the funeral, then everybody leaves for the Burrow, and they have the wedding (whoevers) later in the summer, meanwhile you show the trio trying to talk, while Molly tries to keep them apart so they can’t plan.

Posted by JKMcGonagall on January 01, 2009, 01:46 PM report to moderator
Lindsay

yay dumbledore’s funeral… as weird as that sounds….

Posted by Lindsay on January 01, 2009, 01:48 PM report to moderator
JKMcGonagall

Just a thought, to go with my above post, maybe they don’t have a wedding. Maybe it is Dumbledore’s funeral that is interrupted when the Ministry falls. That would be an interesting twist.

Posted by JKMcGonagall on January 01, 2009, 01:49 PM report to moderator
hellebore

What a beautiful image!

Posted by hellebore on January 01, 2009, 01:55 PM report to moderator
kira902k

oh my, im soooooo happy that there WILL be a funeral for dumbledore! i was furious when i read that they had cut it.
also, that second article makes it seem like fans were mad when they decided to split the last book. but i’m SO happy. that just means that they won’t have to cut everything to make it movie-length. Now that they have about 4hours of film time they can actually KEEP the best parts, for once.

Posted by kira902k on January 01, 2009, 02:20 PM report to moderator
Liz M

Oh thank goodness Dumbledore’s funeral is going to be in there after all. Phew!

Posted by Liz M on January 01, 2009, 02:27 PM report to moderator
Slithereena

Dan thinks H/G was weird! I find that funny for some reason. It’s like what half the people on comments boards end up saying chuckles Ahh fandom…
Glad Dumbledore’s funeral may be in there in some form. But I wonder whether they had deleted scenes or behind the scenes clips of a cheerfully chatting crowd at Dumbledore’s funeral. I love Irish wakes. They are the best kind of funeral. Inspiring, positive, beautiful and moving. :)
I wish we could hear/see more of Tom Felton. Or even more of Jason Isaacs (even though he’s not in this film much at all lol) He’s been lovely to hear from recently.
Heck I wish Alan Rickman would consider speaking a few words. I adore that guy too.

And moar picturez soon pl0x WB. I know it’s christmas time/new years but, I’m starting to get HBP withdrawals. XD

Posted by Slithereena on January 01, 2009, 02:52 PM report to moderator
Jennifer

Dan thinks kissing Bonnie was strange because she’s like a sister to him, not that he thinks H/G itself was weird. Rupert and Emma have said the same thing about their kiss. Heeeeee. They better do it good though!

I don’t think the funeral has been kept sadly. I wish it was but I doubt it.

As for DH, I want them to end it right after Ron returns. That’d be the best place in my mind.

Posted by Jennifer on January 01, 2009, 05:35 PM report to moderator
HPotterFanatic

Is it July yet??

Posted by HPotterFanatic on January 01, 2009, 05:47 PM report to moderator

"How come you're not in Ravenclaw?" he demanded, staring at Hermione with something close to wonder. "With brains like yours?"[br]"Well, the Sorting Hat did seriously consider putting me in Ravenclaw during my Sorting," said Hermione brightly, "but it de

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014