Dan Radcliffe on Dumbledore's Funeral for Half-Blood Prince, Emma Watson on Deathly Hallows Split

HBP Film
January 01, 2009, 08:44 AM

Happy 2009! To start our new year off, we have two new interviews from cast members of the Harry Potter films. First up: Entertainment Weekly is previewing the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by releasing a close up photo of an almost kiss between Harry (Dan Radcliffe) and Ginny (Bonnie Wright). There is a short article as well, featuring  a new interview with Dan, where he mentions filming Dumbledore's funeral. The piece reads: "Shooting Dumbledore's funeral was another tough scene for Radcliffe, as it took on the personality of an Irish wake thanks to some not-so-mournful extras: ''Because there's a lot of people there, it's one of those things that takes on a party atmosphere.'' As fans will recall, earlier reports had stated this scene was not in the film.

Also Dan comments on the budding romance of Ginny and Harry, by saying ''Harry's got a real thing for her, and that is slightly odd, because when we met, I was 11 and she was 9, and she was only ever Ron's little sister,'' says Radcliffe, now 19. ''But that all changed, and here we are snogging.''

MTV has the second bit of news, this in the form of a new interview with Emma Watson, who comments on the split of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the two movies. Noting she still has not yet received the scripts for the film which is due to begin next month in mid-February, she says she does not know where the break will take place: “I don’t know,” she replied. “I am as intrigued as you are. I am waiting at the moment to receive the script. It’s a tough call. I’m sure it will be some cruel cliffhanger.”

On leaving the role of Hermione behind after filming completes for the Deathly Hallows films, Emma Watson reflected by noting “It’s really mixed feelings,” Watson gushed. “It will be bittersweet. It will be very scary because it’s been such a massive part of my life. It will have been nearly over a decade that I’d been playing Hermione. It’ll be tough but I’ll be ready to go I think. I’ll be ready to take on other projects. It will be exciting.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

mike

the pic with harry and ginny she does not look cartoonish.

Posted by mike on January 01, 2009, 10:15 AM report to moderator
jon

ginny does not look cartoonish

Posted by jon on January 01, 2009, 10:20 AM
Arcee

They have cut up and left out so much important stuff in these HP films. I’m surprised someone hasn’t complained before. I love the HP books and am sitting back and waiting to see how they chop up these last three movies.

Posted by Arcee on January 01, 2009, 10:27 AM report to moderator
Ravleen Ahuja

Happy New Year!:D

Dumbldore’s funeral has been re arranged!

And read and watch Harry Potter

Posted by Ravleen Ahuja on January 01, 2009, 10:54 AM report to moderator
??????

(Just for the Info.)
Interesting… I still am not pleased with WB (AKA “Warner Communications” as they used to be called.) for splitting Movie 7 into 2 parts (Seriously! DH “Part 1” and DH part 2? They need better names). Half Blood Prince is looking to be good, but I can’t look at any of the sneek preveiws or else I’ll ruin the movie for myself. Interesting photo by the way. Do you think JK thought that Harry would go nicel with Cho, then changed her mind? I haven’t read the interviews be cause they are really boring. (When I said up above that I didn’t like to ruin the surprises for myself, I wouldn’t really ruin anything because half the time it’s always about premiers or interveiws.)
Oh, and Happy New Year “Leaky Cauldron” and fellow muggles!

Posted by ?????? on January 01, 2009, 11:02 AM report to moderator
BellaSnape

Wow, this is happy new to start off 2009. I dont think he would have used the word funeral unless it was the funeral. Dan reads the books and know what we anticipate with our dear lives. Besides that was not even a wake everyone standing around at the bottom of the astronomy tower to see what happened. That was more like the beginning of a mourning session. IDK, we will still have to play it by ear and wait. But I think our chances went up.

Posted by BellaSnape on January 01, 2009, 11:08 AM report to moderator
BellaSnape

Excuse my grammer mistakes, I was so happy I typed too fast. And I forgot Happy New Year! Have a great 2009!

Posted by BellaSnape on January 01, 2009, 11:10 AM report to moderator
galadriel12

Arcee, you must be quite new to the fandom. There have always been lots and lots of complaints about the things they leave out of the movies. :D I am among those people who isn’t too happy with changes, although I understand that a movie can’t be translated one to one onto the big screen.

This funeral comment of Dan’s confuses me a bit. If I recall correctly, it was Natalia Tena who first said in an interview that DD’s funeral has been cut. Since Ms Tena can’t have inside knowledge on which filmed scenes are to be included or cut, I guess she was referring to the fact that the funeral scene wasn’t shot in the first place. Also, the people who were able to watch the Chicago test screening a couple of months ago said there was no funeral. So I guess – unless they have managed to secretly bring all the cast together to re-shot that scene after the test screening – Dan was referring to that scene when they are all standing around Dumbledore’s body.

I agree with what most of the commenters on the EW.com site said though. It was not nice to give a way two major spoilers in this short bit of text. Here in Leaky, we can assume by far the most people have actually read all the books in the meantime, but on a site like that there are a lot of people who only watch the movies and might not yet know what happens. Well, now they would know.

Posted by galadriel12 on January 01, 2009, 11:25 AM report to moderator
Celtise

lol an irish funeral my ass.

Posted by Celtise on January 01, 2009, 11:35 AM report to moderator
mollywobbles23

If I had any doubts about having a hangover, it was just confirmed b/c it took me way too long to realize that they did film DD’s funeral and people were saying they hadn’t before.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on January 01, 2009, 11:54 AM report to moderator
mollywobbles23

Okay, now I’m just confused after reading the other comments.

goes back to bed

Posted by mollywobbles23 on January 01, 2009, 11:59 AM report to moderator
Scully

@BellaSnape – Dan didn’t use the word ‘funeral’, it was the articles writer. I’d love it to be included but all the confirmed facts point to the contrary.

Posted by Scully on January 01, 2009, 12:03 PM report to moderator
remipau

I guess it will be the surprise of the movie. But I’m not very optimistic about the existence of this scene !
All I want now is a POSTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by remipau on January 01, 2009, 12:07 PM report to moderator
elven*princess221

I really really really hope the funeral is in it!!! But I’m not going to get my hopes up too much. I’m really surprised that EW would put some major spoilers in there! That sucks for people who haven’t read the books to be spoiled like that. I really hope this is the best HP movie yet!

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Posted by elven*princess221 on January 01, 2009, 12:20 PM report to moderator
Paulo

The funeral will be the OPENING SCENE for Deathly Hallows 1!

Posted by Paulo on January 01, 2009, 12:26 PM report to moderator

Fleur bent down, kissed Harry twice on each cheek (he felt his face burn and wouldn't have been surprised if steam was coming out of his ears again), then said to Ron, "And you too -- you 'elped --"[br]"Yeah," said Ron, looking extremely hopeful, "yeah, a