Dan Radcliffe on Dumbledore's Funeral for Half-Blood Prince, Emma Watson on Deathly Hallows Split

HBP Film
January 01, 2009, 08:44 AM

Happy 2009! To start our new year off, we have two new interviews from cast members of the Harry Potter films. First up: Entertainment Weekly is previewing the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by releasing a close up photo of an almost kiss between Harry (Dan Radcliffe) and Ginny (Bonnie Wright). There is a short article as well, featuring  a new interview with Dan, where he mentions filming Dumbledore's funeral. The piece reads: "Shooting Dumbledore's funeral was another tough scene for Radcliffe, as it took on the personality of an Irish wake thanks to some not-so-mournful extras: ''Because there's a lot of people there, it's one of those things that takes on a party atmosphere.'' As fans will recall, earlier reports had stated this scene was not in the film.

Also Dan comments on the budding romance of Ginny and Harry, by saying ''Harry's got a real thing for her, and that is slightly odd, because when we met, I was 11 and she was 9, and she was only ever Ron's little sister,'' says Radcliffe, now 19. ''But that all changed, and here we are snogging.''

MTV has the second bit of news, this in the form of a new interview with Emma Watson, who comments on the split of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the two movies. Noting she still has not yet received the scripts for the film which is due to begin next month in mid-February, she says she does not know where the break will take place: “I don’t know,” she replied. “I am as intrigued as you are. I am waiting at the moment to receive the script. It’s a tough call. I’m sure it will be some cruel cliffhanger.”

On leaving the role of Hermione behind after filming completes for the Deathly Hallows films, Emma Watson reflected by noting “It’s really mixed feelings,” Watson gushed. “It will be bittersweet. It will be very scary because it’s been such a massive part of my life. It will have been nearly over a decade that I’d been playing Hermione. It’ll be tough but I’ll be ready to go I think. I’ll be ready to take on other projects. It will be exciting.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

KJR

So there will be a funeral for Dumbledore? O my god!
Happy Newyear by the way xD
I thought that part would be cut …

Posted by KJR on January 01, 2009, 08:48 AM report to moderator
kay

yeah i thought that part would be cut too. great first news for 2009! thats so cool, and i love entertainment weekly. this is awesome!!

Posted by kay on January 01, 2009, 09:00 AM report to moderator
Johnny

So glad that they did shoot the funeral scene.
I love that quote from Dan, ‘’But that all changed, and here we are snogging.’’ :)

Posted by Johnny on January 01, 2009, 09:03 AM report to moderator
Ravenmind

This piece of news seems like an excellent way to start off the New Year! An almost kiss and the possible return of a missing scene hopefully means that a good day is in store. I hope everyone is having an awesome January 1, 2009 and I wish you good luck in the upcoming year.

Posted by Ravenmind on January 01, 2009, 09:04 AM report to moderator
acciolove

What a great way to start off the new year! Loved the bit about Harry/Ginny. I really can’t wait for that and I’m so relieved they kept Dumbledore’s funeral.

Posted by acciolove on January 01, 2009, 09:07 AM report to moderator
Thiego

I think that the scene that Radcliffe is talking is the one that he’ll stand around Dumbledore body with all students looking, not the funeral itself. Well, I can be wrong, but I think is that.

Sorry for my English :x

Posted by Thiego on January 01, 2009, 09:11 AM report to moderator
T_D_O

I agree with the above comment. The funerals cut I think. And he’s said this same thing before when talking about the scene around Dumbledore’s body.

Posted by T_D_O on January 01, 2009, 09:23 AM report to moderator
MuggleQueen

Aw I really hope it is the funeral he’s talking about but I agree with the previous two comments… it’s probably that bit as we’ve already heard the funeral has been cut :(

Posted by MuggleQueen on January 01, 2009, 09:39 AM report to moderator
Gail Perry

It isn’t about what they filmed. It’s about what gets into the movie. Nevertheless I think they should include it. He ws one of the three most important characters (along with Voldy), and I think you have to put closure on a character who was so important for so long.

Posted by Gail Perry on January 01, 2009, 09:46 AM report to moderator
Helena

I really hope that they actually did film the funeral, but they just didn’t put it in yet for the screenings. I really hope that there is a funeral.

Posted by Helena on January 01, 2009, 09:51 AM report to moderator
H

I’ll bet Emma’s right- it will be a “cruel cliffhanger.”

Posted by H on January 01, 2009, 09:56 AM report to moderator
Scully

David Heyman has already stated the funeral IS NOT in HBP, even if the scene. I believe it’s just another example of the media getting their wires crossed again(!). This is Dan’s quote from the previous EW article and he wasn’t talking about the funeral.

Posted by Scully on January 01, 2009, 09:57 AM report to moderator
Sarah

Ginny’s face looks really touched up. She looks cartoonish. Too bad they cut the funeral. It was the best part of the book.

Posted by Sarah on January 01, 2009, 10:03 AM report to moderator
mike

i’m sure the funeral is in the movie they are just keepping it hush,hush.I some movies they keep alot hidden so the fans can speculate but won’t know until the movie comes out.and the fans will be happy with it after all the crap they put us through with the move of the movie.

Posted by mike on January 01, 2009, 10:06 AM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

Great New Year’s News! JMHO, but I think, perhaps, the Funeral has just been "re arranged. Instead of the “hordes” of people, we read about, it’s mereley a “quiet” type of thing….more private. Don’t know. Speculation is, sometimes, not a healthy thing. I don’t believe the funeral has been cut, entirely. I agree with mike, also. It kind of goes along with the “all the good parts are in the trailer” theory. They may be “holding back”….it’s all good! 2009 is already getting “interesting”! ON TO JULY!

Posted by Confederate Lady on January 01, 2009, 10:15 AM report to moderator

"Oh, Harry, it's lovely to see you!" she whispered, pulling him into a rib-cracking hug before holding him at arm's length and examining him critically. "You're looking peaky; you need feeding up..."