Half-Blood Prince Movie Pushed to July 2009

HBP Film
Posted by: Melissa
August 14, 2008, 08:26 PM

The sixth Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, originally scheduled for a November 21 release, has now been moved to July 17, 2009 in the US and major international markets, according to MarketWatch.com. WB has confirmed the move to TLC. Update: The the official website has changed to reflect the date.

The press release says the reason for the move was two-fold: First, the studio says summer releases are better for "family tentpole" events, and second, they are still feeling the aftereffects of the writers' strike and need the time to make sure the film reaches the widest audience possible.

The new date, said Jeff Robinov, president of WB's motion picture group, does not alter the production schedule for the last two Harry Potter films; filming on the first of the two book-seven films will begin in February. "The good news for [fans]," he said, "is that the gap will now be shortened between 'Half-Blood Prince' and the first part of 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.'"

The writers' strike, the release says, "impacted the readiness of scripts for other films--changing the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move 'Half-Blood Prince' to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer."

(For alerts to your Twitter/mobile phone, add Leaky to your twitter.)

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

MadhuDan

oh! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I wouldgive anything to stop it

Posted by MadhuDan on November 25, 2008, 02:54 AM report to moderator
bin

it stinks i was so pumped my parents were taking me right after school they want the money because it was the weekend were the dark night came
and this way they can get the twilight -harrypotter fans to see it iam a harry potter -twilight fan mostly harry potter

Posted by bin on November 26, 2008, 08:01 PM report to moderator
Ricky From the U.S

Well this really sucks i go on vacation the day it comes out i wounder if i can push my flight back a day so i can see this i am so ticked off oh well

Posted by Ricky From the U.S on November 30, 2008, 09:05 PM report to moderator
Hasan

What the heck, I’m not getting why they moved it to July. I just hope its to make us Harry Potter fans anctious because this is really ticking me off. First they do it during this year and then they push it forward a whole 7 months. THATS ALMOST A WHOLE YEAR!

Posted by Hasan on December 04, 2008, 04:10 PM report to moderator
megs

hey guyz, i cant belive they’re gunna make us wait that long to watch the movie. its just gunna make people lose intrest after waitin so long! GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyways pleaz reply!

Posted by megs on December 05, 2008, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Quinayla

This movie would have been an awesome hit this year and postponing it just leaves the people paying feeling cheated. I’m just glad my daughter’s friend’s parents took her to see Twilight so I didn’t have to suffer through it. I’d be interested in seeing the real reason rather than a bunch of marketing bs that say they felt like jerking us around to get more money.

Posted by Quinayla on December 13, 2008, 11:12 PM report to moderator
michael

harrypotter was the greatest thing that happend to me i can’t wait longer.please i am the biggest fan you don’t know how much i love harrypotter movies and the books. i’LL DIE IN THE ATTEPMT TO WAIT ANY LONGER!

Posted by michael on December 29, 2008, 05:16 PM report to moderator
michael

i love harrypotter so much that i have games,posters,action figures,picures,even the movies plus i recorded his voice and he’S in my phones wallpaper.and we can’t see the freaken movie i’LL DIE IF I CAN’t see that movie

Posted by michael on December 29, 2008, 05:25 PM report to moderator
MICHAEL

why can’T THEY STOP THIS MADNESS.AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.PLEASE HURRY IT UP

Posted by MICHAEL on December 29, 2008, 05:27 PM report to moderator
Lorelai

WOW tons of people have commented on this. It was big news. I still have trouble believeing its true but now we only have 191 more days. Its still awhile but better then a year right?! ohhhhhh how I wish it had come out. :(

Posted by Lorelai on January 06, 2009, 08:29 PM report to moderator
Lorelai

First comment on this of 2009! Woot Woot! Aww 2009 is the year HBP comes out! YES!

Posted by Lorelai on January 06, 2009, 08:30 PM report to moderator
kay

Stupid Twilight!

Apparently WB didn’t want Harry Potter to have to compete with Twlight, so they pushed it back. ARG!

Posted by kay on January 16, 2009, 04:26 PM report to moderator
daniel

its very…………. bad i’ll dieeeeeeeeeeeeeee , i m sorry coz my movie is delayed, i m also very much angry

Posted by daniel on January 21, 2009, 02:30 AM report to moderator
Sophia

Hey u suck lol u cant even say accio properly hahaha so screw u just cozz ur not one of us dont mean u should make fun of it, oh dont try and sing for a job

Posted by Sophia on January 23, 2009, 06:30 AM report to moderator
djbuttafly

Sucks just as bad for parents!! I have a 14 year old that I read every book with and have seen EVERY movie with since the beginning…(Nov. 2001) He had just turned 7.
I’m just as excited, if not MORE about Half Blood Prince as he is and I’m just sorry that the movie industry feels that they HAVE to release this film at the most “opportune” time for optimum ticket sales. The HP fans (and their parents) would have made the movie #1 no matter WHEN it was released! They should know that by now…so disappointing.

Posted by djbuttafly on January 24, 2009, 10:29 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

It was a Firebolt... Its handle glittered as he picked it up. He could feel it vibrating and let go; it hung in midair, unsupported, at exactly the right height for him to mount it. His eyes moved from the golden registration number at the top of the hand