Emma Watson Featured in Sunday Times, Attends Premiere of Tale of Despereaux

Watson
December 07, 2008, 08:51 PM

As her new film is set to open this week, actress Emma Watson is making news tonight. First the Hermione Granger attended the premiere of her new film, the animated movie The Tale of Despereaux, tonight in Los Angeles, California. You can see new photos of Emma at this event here via WireImage and here via Getty.

Also, Emma has been the feature of several interview pieces of late as part of the release of Despereaux. Yesterday MTV posted a new piece online where Emma confirmed she would be attending college or university later this fall, noting again she had applied to schools both here in the States and to those in the UK. She also addressed some rumors that we've heard about possible future film roles. Emma Watson said: I'm attached to a film called "Napoleon and Betsy," which will hopefully get shot in 2010. I've got the colossal final book ["Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"] to finish off, and I'm going to university in September. I'm looking at scripts and auditioning. I'm very excited to do roles beyond "Potter." It's a very exciting time for me.

Today, the Sunday Times ran this article, where Emma speaks about fame, fortune, and what it is like for her when she meets new people and fans. “The parties are fun if you’re with friends,” she says, although meeting her public is often awkward. “I think it’s hard for people to know how to act when they meet me. Some people try incredibly hard to avoid anything to do with Harry Potter, fame or acting or whatever, and I really do appreciate it, but it can be quite awkward too. It’s hard meeting new people, for them to know quite what to do.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson News

Cindy

Nice. That look and make-up suits her…

Posted by Cindy on December 08, 2008, 10:30 AM report to moderator
Miriam

The dress is unflattering on emma, plus it looks more suited to older women. Nothing about body shape, it just doesnt look nice on her. And i agree with marcheline, emma plays it too safe with her projects. Dan and rupert seem be taking risks.

Posted by Miriam on December 08, 2008, 10:44 AM report to moderator
JoAnn

You definitely should take the time to see Ballet Shoes; you will be very pleasantly surprised. She is brilliant in it, and got all very positive reviews for her acting, including from the Times.

She can act, she can model, and she has star quality. I don’t think there is any serious doubt about that anymore.

Posted by JoAnn on December 08, 2008, 11:09 AM report to moderator
Miriam

Sorry, but the other two actresses excelled emma in ballet shoes. She had low energy, breathed heavily and wasnt as convincing. Plus they are younger than her. She was only marginally better than in hp. And since when did modelling require skill?

Posted by Miriam on December 08, 2008, 11:58 AM report to moderator
creaothceann

I see a small but loud minority here…

Posted by creaothceann on December 08, 2008, 11:59 AM report to moderator
HP_Appreciator

I´ve always wondered how the quality of acting is actually measured and people can say, she/he was better than him/her and try to make a point. It all comes down to what I, the viewer, like personally. I see a difference in the characters of Hermione and Pauline. And I´ve never been distracted by heavy breathing or eye-brows or silly things like that.

“Plays it safe” … hmmm, so Emma Watson needs to do a movie naked and swearing a lot, before it can be called acting? Then people will say, oh look, now she´s trying too hard to shed Hermione. And to be perfectly honest, a man in a nude role still is viewed quite differently than a woman doing the same.

Posted by HP_Appreciator on December 08, 2008, 01:38 PM report to moderator
yuli

bravo hp_appreciator. i couldn’t have said it better

Posted by yuli on December 08, 2008, 03:02 PM report to moderator
Flora

“she looks so pretty and her shoes and dress are super cute!”

HA HA HA! That’s really funny! That’s EXACTLY what those silly little girls say EVERY TIME Emma does anything at all! SPOT ON! Really made me laugh, thanks for that.

“OOh, a picture of Emma leaving the house! Her hair looks really nice squeeeee!!!!” Oh, except the apostrophe would be in the wrong place, so “her hair look’s really nice” would be more like it.

Heh heh heh…. still laughing at Bella’s joke!

Posted by Flora on December 08, 2008, 04:01 PM report to moderator
Miriam

Nudity, sex etc wasnt what i was alluding to. Playing princess-type characters is hardly a stretch… The is not as good an actress as you seem to think. And i cant see her stretching herself as she seems far more focused on PR rather than craft. And it would be nice to express an opinion without having fangirls stifle it.

Posted by Miriam on December 08, 2008, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Lynn

She’s a really pretty girl. I think a smile or two, and looking like she’s happy to be there, would suit her better than concentrating on posing for the cameras, though.
I liked her in Ballet Shoes. It’s nice to see her branching out and doing things other than HP, but I’’m not convinced Emma’s really focused on acting. I agree with Miriam , she seems more focused on PR and VIP events at this point in time. Maybe that will change in the future.

Posted by Lynn on December 08, 2008, 04:59 PM report to moderator
J

she was on GMTV this morning :D
think i’ll go and see this? :)
matthew broderick is awesome

“marcheline” i think she means like they don’t know how to react to her, if she’s talking about just meeting people, like at school, that kind of thing, if you see Emma Watson your not really going to know what to say, surely if you meet someone you know of who’s as famous as Emma, your not going to feel like you can just talk to them the same way as you would if they weren’t famous.

I’m also excited to see what Rupert Grint’s doing, probably because i’m a HUGE fan, though, he’s awesome..

I thought Emma’s acting in ballet shoes was actually really good.. she annoyed me in OotP though, with the whole eyebrow thing, she’s not the best actress, but she seems really down to earth, really she doesn’t need to go to uni, she could just work, but she seems like she doesn’t think too highly of herself to value a real education.

Posted by J on December 09, 2008, 12:30 PM report to moderator
J

Just because she’s not doing something as “risky” as Dan or Rupert, doesn’t mean she’s not making an effort to stretch herself, maybe she hasn’t had chance to have any “risky” roles in movies, she can only accept what she’s offered. Maybe if Rupert or Dan were offered a role in this movie they may have accepted, if they weren’t busy with anything else, voices in an animation seem like a fun part to me, they’re usually very humorous, even when aimed at a very young audience, lots of very popular and/or talented actors and actresses have roles in animated films. this doesn’t make them any less of an actor/actress.

and “Flora” she is really very pretty, she always is pretty, because she is the same Emma all the time with the same looks, even if her outfit isn’t great. and her hair does usually look nice. so why is it funny when people say it? maybe the dress isn’t too everyones taste, etc, i don’t care for it much. i don’t get why people saying her hair is nice, or she looks pretty, or they like her dress is so funny? maybe they like it, maybe they think she looks pretty :S i really don’t get what the joke is, or how that makes them “silly little girls”?? so i guess i must be missing the point/joke?

and “miriam” no, modeling probably doesn’t take much skill, your either gorgeous or your not. which Emma is.

Posted by J on December 09, 2008, 12:40 PM report to moderator
StixVix

Man…all I can say is Meow!!! to most of these comments.

I do agree that she is not the best actress in HP, but she is a great Hermione and clicks very well with the other two characters. I would love to see Ballet Shoes.

I think she is absolutely gorgeous whenever she is photographed, whether it’s posed or not. The cameras are around, of course it’s a PR thing and of course she’ll pose. If the pic is not flattering it either won’ t make it out there or will make it out with an unfavourable caption. Nothing wrong with posing.

I like her dress and shoes. One thing I need to say is I think she looks way, way too slim. I just hope it’s her natural metabolism or the dress, and not an image thing.

Her going to university is great…why should it be viewed as a self-esteem issue if she chooses that path instead of just working right away? And she does not need to “take risks” to move away from Hermione to further her career, she just needs good roles and performances.

Posted by StixVix on December 09, 2008, 01:09 PM report to moderator
bee

god she looked so beautiful in these

Posted by bee on December 09, 2008, 04:14 PM report to moderator
Miriam

StixVix, and i’m entitled to think that her performances haven’t been good. There are far better young actresses out there that have not had her opportunity.

Posted by Miriam on December 09, 2008, 05:43 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Next Monday," he said as he scribbled, "I am likely to develop a cough, owing to the unlucky conjunction of Mars and Jupiter." He looked up at Harry. "You know [Trelawney] -- just put in loads of misery, she'll lap it up."