Report and Photos from JK Rowling's Beedle the Bard Release Party in Scotland

Books
December 04, 2008, 03:56 PM

The first images and reports from the special party held in Edinburgh, Scotland by author J.K. Rowling for the release of The Tales of Beedle the Bard are now online. You can see early images here via Getty, while Reuters has some details from a question and answer session at the event. Jo said she was afraid of spiders, just like the character of Ron Weasley. Jo said: "What's funny is, as you probably know if you've read Harry Potter, I gave Ron that fear. He's terrified of spiders, and Rupert Grint, who plays Ron in the films, is absolutely petrified of spiders.

"I feel so sorry for him because I kept putting Ron in these situations where he had to encounter them."

Jo also noted the prompting behind the decision to publish the Beedle tales was brought about by fans.

The idea actually came from you, by which I mean Harry Potter fans," Rowling told around 200 primary school children gathered at Edinburgh's Parliament Hall for a tea party that officially launched Beedle the Bard.

"There was quite a lot of high feeling from Harry Potter fans that only someone who had two million pounds could afford to read the book. I thought 'fair point', so I thought 'I'll publish it and then the charity can have that money too'."

Update: A new report is now online, from a fan who was in Edinburgh at the time of the event, and spoke to a few who were able to attend the release party who noted it was fantastic" and "a whole lot of fun." Christine Roberts writes via MuggleNet that Harry Potter cast members were at the party, including Matthew Lewis (Neville), Devon Murray (Seamus), and Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood)

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Lillylove

Can’t wait for JKR’s reading footage! My copy was waiting for me when I got home from work today! YAY!

Posted by Lillylove on December 04, 2008, 04:04 PM report to moderator
slithereena

sweet!

I love Jo. _

“There was quite a lot of high feeling from Harry Potter fans that only someone who had two million pounds could afford to read the book. I thought ‘fair point’, so I thought ’I’ll publish it and then the charity can have that money too’.”

XD

Posted by slithereena on December 04, 2008, 04:10 PM report to moderator
Crown Victoria

Its so funny how Jk, Ron, and Rupert all hate spiders

Posted by Crown Victoria on December 04, 2008, 04:12 PM report to moderator
Crown Victoria

I was surprised to find that Beetle of the Bard wasnt as expensive as i thought it was. It was only 15 dollars

Posted by Crown Victoria on December 04, 2008, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Bat Boogey Hexer

OMG you guys!!! All I can whisper is "THANK-YOU JO!!!!! I got both the deluxe and standard editions and the deluxe edition is so breathtaking!!!! I can only imagine what the real ones look like!!!! By far the best part though, was seeing the packages out by the mail box, AND that the feeling of reading Jo’s stories again…..PRICELESS……….

Posted by Bat Boogey Hexer on December 04, 2008, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Sheri

Can’t wait to see the video of Jo’s reading! Like Lillylove, my copy of the collector’s edition is waiting for me at home. My husband just signed for it (according to UPS tracking!! Love UPS Tracking feature today!) I also bought a collector’s edition as a Christmas present for my daughter-in-law, who is also a Harry fanatic. Her jaw is going to drop!

I’m considering letting her open her gift early!! :-)

Posted by Sheri on December 04, 2008, 04:26 PM report to moderator
ele0206

first to comment!! :) and I just bought The Tales on ebay! soooooo happy!!!

Posted by ele0206 on December 04, 2008, 04:43 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

What a fantastic lady JKR is! This book is so cool. I went to Books-a-million, this morning, and picked up my copy! Several of the employees are Harry Fans, and were excited to see me. One said “I wondered when we’d see you!” They had a “Midnight Launch”, they told me. Basically, they were there, at midnight…but no one else came…dagnabit! Now, if Santa will bring me Melissa’s book, I’ll be in “Harry Heaven”!

Posted by Confederate Lady on December 04, 2008, 05:19 PM report to moderator
Quotidias

I just finished reading my copy, which I received in the mail today. I loved it, especially Dumbledore’s commentaries at the end of each story.

Posted by Quotidias on December 04, 2008, 06:23 PM report to moderator
emmy

We love Jo :-)

Posted by emmy on December 04, 2008, 07:24 PM report to moderator
wingardium

Mine just arrived, I bought the standard and special editions. Its breath taking!

THANK YOU JO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christmas came early, I couldn’t wait to open it!

Posted by wingardium on December 05, 2008, 08:04 AM report to moderator
Johanna

I can’t wait to get my copy!

Posted by Johanna on December 05, 2008, 09:36 AM report to moderator
Johanna

I can’t wait to get my copy!

Posted by Johanna on December 05, 2008, 09:36 AM report to moderator
Silver Doe

My little girl was at the tea party in Edinburgh and we are still having to scrape her off the ceiling! I don’t think she will ever come down from this high.

Posted by Silver Doe on December 06, 2008, 11:18 AM report to moderator
wingardium

Silver Doe – thats so cool, congrats to little Silver Doe, thats fab. God to be under 12 again for this reason alone would be amazing hee hee

No vide of this posted yet? awwwww

Posted by wingardium on December 06, 2008, 06:32 PM report to moderator

"Don't be a fool," snarled the face. "Better save your own life and join me... or you'll meet the same end as your parents.... They died begging me for mercy...."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014