Bloomberg: Hollywood Looks to Potter in 2009 to Stem Decline in Movie Attendance

Movies
December 30, 2008, 01:11 PM

Bloomberg.com has a new article online, detailing the concern Hollywood has over declining movie attendance and ticket sales. The piece notes that many are looking toward Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and other sequels to turn the tide in 2009. Quotage:

Hollywood’s fortunes may improve next year with the return of proven franchises, including Warner Bros.’ “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince,” the sixth in a film series that has generated $1.41 billion in U.S. ticket sales, according to Box Office Mojo LLC. Familiar titles may keep theaters filled as the industry faces recession and the risk of an actors strike.

The article continues to note that while ticket sales are down this season, Hollywood studios plan to release 17 sequels next year, and hopes rest on the success at the box office for these, including Half-Blood Prince:

Hollywood would probably have surpassed 2007’s record if Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros. hadn’t changed the release date of the new “Harry Potter” film from November to July 2009, Media By Numbers President Paul Dergarabedian said in an interview. The first five films in the series have generated an average of $282 million in sales.

Warner Bros. said in August it was moving the film to fill a schedule gap created by the 100-day strike by the Writers Guild of America. The studio is closing out 2008 in first place, with record box office sales for the year, according to Dan Fellman, head of distribution.

Along with its New Line Cinema unit, Warner had taken in $1.83 billion in U.S. sales as of Dec. 21, according to Burbank, California-based Box Office Mojo.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be released in theaters July 17, 2009.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Dumbledores man through and through!

I know that there are some poorer (is that a word?) actors, but it’s just really hard for me to believe that, I mean I’m sure that most of them have more money than me! Thank you amyway elven*princess221 for helping me out!!

Posted by Dumbledores man through and through! on December 30, 2008, 07:22 PM report to moderator
Dumbledores man through and through!

See previous page if u want to know!

sorting hat

and because they postponed the movie from november, we now have to hear things like this until the movie opens…. stop the speculating about how the film will do in the coming year….you did this to yourselves…..the fans don’t want to hear it…how about releasing more pictures and set reports to us…that would be time better spent

Posted by sorting hat on December 30, 2008, 09:34 PM report to moderator
Beth A

sorting hat, what makes you think WB is complaining??? They actually made an incredibly smart move by moving HBP to next year. If you read the article, it said that WB had a record breaking year in 2008, thanks to the Dark Night. Releasing HBP this year would have meant feast in 2008, and famine in 2009.

Like it or not, but WB is a business and they have shareholders to answer to. They have nothing in 2009. they needed something BIG in 2009, and harry will be it. It’s a guaranteed money maker (regardless of the 2 or 3 people who think waiting a week or two to see it will hurt WB somehow ). WB made the smart decision.

Just think… if they hadnt, the fun would be over for two whole years!! it’s not. We still have a movie to look forward to in only 198 days!!

Posted by Beth A on December 30, 2008, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Jen

Thank you Beth A! Everything you said is exactly how i see it. WB is a business, if they make no money they have to cut back. Does anyone here want to see Harry Potter and The Badly Budgeted Film for DH?? I dont think so! The only question i have left is why people are still going on about it! GET OVER IT seriously, i mean i love HP but there are worse things in the world than a delayed release date!

Posted by Jen on December 30, 2008, 11:36 PM report to moderator
Mom Weasley

hmm.. perhaps if they’d released HBP when it was supposed to be released instead of the plotless turkey twilight they’d have had a better final quarter this year. But noooo.Perhaps too, if there were more GOOD movies, people would go to the theatre more often. I know I would. But since I don’t do slasher films, plotless pointless eye candy films, movies that are just one flashy CG scene after another and don’t find today’s idea of comedy comedic, I don’t go to the theatre more than once a year if that often. The new Indiana Jones movie was the ONE film I went to the theatre for this year. I’d have gone to two if they’d released HBP. I’d have gone to see The Subtle Knife if they’d not shelved that. There are a lot of films I’d go see if they’d bother to make them and release them.

Posted by Mom Weasley on December 31, 2008, 12:32 AM report to moderator
duyen

YEAH IN YOUR FACE TWILIGHT!
NOTHING CAN BEAT HARRY POTTER
DIE ALL!! MUAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by duyen on December 31, 2008, 02:00 AM report to moderator
Millas

Cheaper ticket price because people have bad economy? dream on, never gonna happend. to support WB, even if I hate the delay of the movie! they, like any other biz, its all about making money

Posted by Millas on January 03, 2009, 10:57 AM report to moderator
Bjorn

I think this has little to do with the general finance crisis and more to do with WB. Never underestimate the power of HP fans. I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve sticked to my promises of boycotting WB movies since they announced the HBP delay. I guess WB thought we’d forget this little incident quickly, eh? Not this guy!

Posted by Bjorn on January 04, 2009, 10:29 AM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

Ha ha Twilight!

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on January 26, 2010, 07:29 PM report to moderator

"I was going to put Stop the Outrageous Abuse of Our Fellow Magical Creatures and Campaign for a Change in Their Legal Status -- but it wouldn't fit. So that's the heading of our manifesto."