Steve Kloves Comments on WB Worrying over Anticipation for Potter Films ?

Movies
December 28, 2008, 07:50 PM

The serious economic and credit issues facing all of us are hitting Hollywood as well, as noted in this new article from The Independent. The piece focuses on the financial concerns major film studios have regarding large scale big budget fantasy films, and makes mention of the Harry Potter films series. Without quotes, the article states that Harry Potter Screenwriter Steve Kloves has apparently made some new comments regarding Warner Bros and the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films. The article reads as follows:

Even Harry Potter, the most profitable franchise in film history, isn't totally secure. Its screenwriter, Steve Kloves, said recently that Warner Bros was worried about the prospects for the last three films in the series, since J K Rowling is no longer driving anticipation for the titles by producing new books.

The piece then continues to point out that "Harry Potter Surpassed 'Star Wars' and 'The Lord of the Rings', with $4.5bn (£3.1bn) in sales. Three installments remain. The 'Half-Blood Prince' will be released next year ."  We are uncertain as to when and where Mr. Kloves made these comments and are trying to obtain more on this interview; updates will be posted on this matter as soon as we can.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

kay

I think that Harry Potter will be fine. If people think Twilight is going to do well (which is MUCH less of a family movie than Harry Potter) then we’ll be okay. We are the most popular film franchise like ever (don’t hold me to that please-I don’t know if there was something more popular, but I we beat Lord of the Rings and James Bond and Star Wars). Go Harry!!

Posted by kay on December 30, 2008, 10:18 AM report to moderator
Dan

I agree with Kay.

Harry Potter is super popular. Even with Twilight out we’re still right up there with all of the really big stuff like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I wouldn’t worry.

Posted by Dan on December 30, 2008, 11:14 AM report to moderator
the laughing Man

Well, that’s just a bit silly. HBP isn’t in any danger just because JKR isn’t writing anymore books. They’re 5 films in – momentum’s on their side.

Even if the the next one is rubbish, people will still come back for the last one. Anyone who has bailed on the HBP movie franchise (and there are some) has bailed by now. I know a lot of people who dropped out after the second one (the third one was too dark, too adult, not ‘charming’ and ‘sweet’ like the first two, etc.) and several more jumped ship after the fourth one (too confusing for them)

But even after people leaving the franchise HBP has done extremely well – especially for a 7 movie franchise. There’s not many books, ideas, TV Shows, etc. that can support 7 movies and do very, very well.

Other 7+ movie franchises (Star Trek, James Bond, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th) are franchises spread out over 10, 15, sometimes 20 years.

I still don’t think we know the real story behind WB’s postponement of HBP, but HP has nothing to worry about.

Oh, and TDK and Iron Man did well simply because they are good movies with a good story and good acting. I know many non-comic book fans who loved both Iron Man and TDK and who couldn’t care less about comic book movies.

Posted by the laughing Man on December 30, 2008, 11:24 AM report to moderator
Abigail

EdwardCullen, in response i am a Harry Potter Obsesser and a Twilighter too! Nice to know that others also like both! I cannot believe they would get rid of Taylor!! He is like a perfect Jacob and you could see how he felt about Bella on-screen!! On IMDB he is on the cast list though so i hope they don’t get rid! Robert Pattinson is so funny, and at least he’s a serious actor. I never expected him to go onto such a major role after Cedric Diggory let alone an American Lead! Kristen Stewart wouldn’t do drugs that openly, i have a newspaper article with her in apparently smoking a drug pipe but its honestly stupid! She is the best Bella!! I couldn’t have chosen a more well-suited actress to the role. One last comment about Twilight, which does relate to a major reason in my opinion to why Anticipation is poor! I have seen the Twilight film in England 5 times and not ONCE even with my pleading was there any HP6 related anything! Not a trailer, not a poster NOTHING! I was so disappointed as i thought promotion would boost people’s excitement! And in American Cinemas they apparently did play HP6 Trailers, but apparently WB don’t think that there are fans in Britain!! WB need to recognise the fans because after the November-July move (which devestated me! I was screaming and on the meant to be release date i was in mourning all day!) I now feel mistreated as they postponed for a minor reason. Karma may come back to them though if people do Boycott and it will show them the extent of their bad decisions.

Posted by Abigail on December 30, 2008, 12:10 PM report to moderator
Gail Perry

I worry about the HP movies yet to come only because WB has displayed such colossally bad managment in the past half-year. It appears to me that they do not understand HP fans at all.

They also don’t understand fiction read by children: every year there’s a whole new set of children who read enough to start on the HP books. They are incredibly stupid at WB.

Posted by Gail Perry on December 30, 2008, 06:07 PM report to moderator
HarryPotterroxmysox

Yeah, I completely agree with Abigail. I mean, I have seen Twilight 3 times at the American Cinemas and still no HBP trailer has been shown! And they (WB) specifically said that they would release the trailer to theaters the night that Twilight first came out. LIES!

Anyway, WB shouldn’t worry too much about how HBP is going to do well even with the Recession we’re in now. Harry Potter is still a huge success. And even if the movie doesn’t do that well, there are still enough Harry Potter fans around the world to make up for that. People are still buying the books and reading them.

Harry Potter will be around for a long time.

LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER! :)

Posted by HarryPotterroxmysox on December 31, 2008, 12:06 AM report to moderator
Jay

WB needs to relax.

Harry Potter isn’t going anywhere. It’s always done well and something as successful as that isn’t going to go away over night.

So, what is the economy stinks? That’s not gonna stop fans from watching the film, especially since they’ve had to wait an extra nine months for it to come out. Besides, Harry Potter is still big and the franchise is HUGE and J.K. Rowling just released Beedle the Bard this month.

No worries WB!

Posted by Jay on December 31, 2008, 12:19 AM report to moderator
Reader

Sheez! It’s a sad affair when I have to look back on this again. I won’t compare HP with Twlight, because its a movie trying to make its own name. So people please leave it alone. Go Twlight! WB worry about some of us fans that won’t be going to see HP! Be afraid, be very afraid….BOYCOTT it! Send a message about not messing with the fans! Besides, alot of their merchandise was still in the stores…whereas others was flying off the shelves.

Posted by Reader on December 31, 2008, 01:53 AM report to moderator
Natalie

WB wouldn’t of worried if they had released HBP in November….. I don’t wanna wait, and some people are refusing to go see it until it comes out on pirate or for the dvd… to rent.. just to get back at them for changing it. Hey, it’s their own fault for giving us a date that’s too early, the date change wouldn’t of annoyed me if it was July in the first place… lol

Posted by Natalie on December 31, 2008, 04:44 AM report to moderator
silverstar

everything will be fine – as long as they advertise to ALL people book/film fans, film fans and new people make people want to go to the cinema by making the best film possible = money for them win win :-D

Posted by silverstar on January 01, 2009, 11:38 AM report to moderator
silverstar

…………………………… just hope its not an evil ploy to get back at boycotters and scare people into going to see the film by talking cuts and saying if people dont go see and dont get enough money they might have to drop the last one :-( cynical me

Posted by silverstar on January 01, 2009, 11:44 AM report to moderator
Smiles

Silverstar, sounds like a plan from WB. Well, I hope the fans don’t fall for that idea of dropping the last movie, because they would had started filming again in February and it would be too late to drop the film. I do intend to boycott based on principal. Fans get a clue, don’t be fooled into thinking its O.K.!! Well, each to their own way of thinking, but I also know fans who are disappointed and will boycott it to prove their point to WB. Like someone said before, if they had said July from the beginning, then none us us would be upset about the date.

Posted by Smiles on January 01, 2009, 10:25 PM report to moderator
richard

movie companies need to consider other methods of saving money like quit paying thier actors so much money they dont need millions per movie or find people that will work for less and look to people that are unemployed who could really use the money.I’d be happy just to have the job not the money.

Posted by richard on January 26, 2009, 10:06 AM report to moderator

Harry took out his wand, murmered, [i]"Lumos!"[/i] and a tiny light appeared at the end of it, just enough to let them watch the path for signs of spiders.[br]"Good thinking," said Ron. "I'd light mine, too, but you know -- it'd probably blow up or someth