Steve Kloves Comments on WB Worrying over Anticipation for Potter Films ?

Movies
December 28, 2008, 07:50 PM

The serious economic and credit issues facing all of us are hitting Hollywood as well, as noted in this new article from The Independent. The piece focuses on the financial concerns major film studios have regarding large scale big budget fantasy films, and makes mention of the Harry Potter films series. Without quotes, the article states that Harry Potter Screenwriter Steve Kloves has apparently made some new comments regarding Warner Bros and the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films. The article reads as follows:

Even Harry Potter, the most profitable franchise in film history, isn't totally secure. Its screenwriter, Steve Kloves, said recently that Warner Bros was worried about the prospects for the last three films in the series, since J K Rowling is no longer driving anticipation for the titles by producing new books.

The piece then continues to point out that "Harry Potter Surpassed 'Star Wars' and 'The Lord of the Rings', with $4.5bn (¬£3.1bn) in sales. Three installments remain. The 'Half-Blood Prince' will be released next year ."  We are uncertain as to when and where Mr. Kloves made these comments and are trying to obtain more on this interview; updates will be posted on this matter as soon as we can.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

wilbo

Damn, ignore what I just said : P

Posted by wilbo on December 29, 2008, 06:33 AM report to moderator
Moody One

“If the film failed I would consider it a sign of the apocalypse‚Ķ”..lol @ Lauren!

To Mollywobble..your right….just read the rest of the article.. : ) I’m just still so freakin upset with the WB. I could understand if they pushed back HBP because the special effects weren’t finished. Or it just wasn’t up to par. But to push it back because of greediness. Its just beyond my comprehension.

Posted by Moody One on December 29, 2008, 07:30 AM report to moderator
crimson & clover

Oh! what a fine job Mr. Kloves did when he cut the house-elves’ story from GoF. Now he has to mend narratives he mutilated. Should keep him busy all of the time – BUT probably you cannot mend fandom the way you mend a story. … by the way, WB is burdened with another three lawsuits …

Posted by crimson & clover on December 29, 2008, 08:00 AM report to moderator
eszti

maybe if they’d release HPB on the orgonaly date…but no,they pushed it back 8 months,now, the less they can do is worry(a number of fans are still considering t not see it…on the first weekend)
but there’s no way DH could fail

Posted by eszti on December 29, 2008, 08:49 AM report to moderator
Flora

Steve Kloves should be spending his time and energy writing a decent script, not worrying about whether the remaining movies will bring in enough cash to pay for his new conservatory.

Although I suppose it’s a bit too late now after five films to expect any kind of level of quality above “mediocre” from him. This half-eaten biscuit in my hand could do a better job.

Posted by Flora on December 29, 2008, 09:02 AM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

Maybe Kloves will get fired and they’ll replace him with a monkey. It’s cheap, and we’re guaranteed better characterization.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 29, 2008, 09:13 AM report to moderator
DL_Hector

Well, I’m no expert in marketing… as a matter of fact, I consider myself woefully ignorant in that field. But, if it is true they’re worried about our anticipation not growing anymore… wouldn’t it be better to release the movies as soon as possible? Especially one that is already finished, instead of pushing it back for eight months?
I got to read a lot of fan comments about WB just worrying for money instead of fans, since they don’t give us extended editions, quality content in dvd’s and, well, the infamous November-to-July move (which to this day I find unethical). If Mr. Kloves (or any person from WB for that matter) indeed made these comments, I’m afraid (and believe me, I kinda like WB) they are demonstrating what these fan comments stated: they don’t truly care about pleasing fans, they’re merely businessmen with nothing but profit in their minds.

Then again, this is simply my humble opinion and of course, I might be utterly misled.

Posted by DL_Hector on December 29, 2008, 10:38 AM report to moderator
joejoe

why do people expect warner to not be interested in money.
they are a business. the exist to make money. get over feeling ‘taken advantage of’ because wb are out for profit. so are you. the view of warner as greedy is so freaking annoying and naive.

Posted by joejoe on December 29, 2008, 11:18 AM report to moderator
budb

hi, Mollywobbles, think I saw prof potter as well…and hi to other friends i may have missed….

According to a news piece just today, apparently films did very well financially this holiday season. There is no reason to think film going will be down in the summer. therefore the entire thing is silly, BUT the impact may be in the amount of money made available in DH filming for special effects and other costs (costumes, extras, and the like).. the main actors are already locked in, as are the senior production staff, so any ‘cuts’ to increase the profit margin would take place at lower levels (gee, kinda like the place i worked….upper folks got raises, rest of us got “something else” ).
frankly, the most likely casualty will be the theme park, since fewer people will be planning vacations.
and given the time frame (two more years, give or take), its pretty likely that JKR will release another bit of writing, perhaps a short work for charity (“Hogwarts, a History”? Social Life of British Muggles"?) that will keep fan interest high.

Posted by budb on December 29, 2008, 11:37 AM report to moderator
DL_Hector

Budb, you brought a very interesting topic to focus… I had completely forgotten about it, but we still have the encyclopedia pending, right? Which will be, I think, a must have for all of us. And if she gave us Hogwarts, a History… wow… that would be amazing! I personally don’t like History, but I love HER History (JKR’s, obviously).
By the way, I just had the chance to finally read The tales of Beedle the Bard and couldn’t possibly love them more; they’re truly fantastic fairy tales and the Dumbledore commentary is simply superb. She (JKR that is) is simply… I mean, I can’t even find the words to describe her, she amazes me so much. And I do hope there’s a movie… or TV special or something, because I just loved every tale.

Posted by DL_Hector on December 29, 2008, 11:51 AM report to moderator
budb

DL, there doesn’t appear to be a timeline for the completion of the Encyclopedia, so for that we just need to be patient (after all, the woman chruned out seven extremely well-written novels and three short works at breakneck speed…if she wishes to slow down, who can blame her?)

on the other hand, as we noted in a previous discussion, it certainly would be possible to have a Beedle film…the Hairy Heart poses a problem of audience (do you really want a very young child to see the ending of that story?), and there may not be quite enough in the five stories to get 2 to 2 1/2 hours worth of film/animation….personally, I’m hoping we’ll be seeing Grumble the Grubby Goat added to the list of Tales!

well, off to do the errands…warmest holiday greetings to all of you, and let’s all look forward to a wonderful new year.

Posted by budb on December 29, 2008, 12:07 PM report to moderator
k

The director of Golden Compass is directing Twilights second movie, New Moon, starting this March. So, no, I doubt Subtle Knife, the second Golden Compass book will be made. I wouldnt worry about the finacial aspect of HBP intake. It’ll be an amazing summer film and will do well!

Posted by k on December 29, 2008, 12:19 PM report to moderator
Razor

WB should worry, after pulling HBP from November to July. I won’t see it becasue they had their self interest invovled. BOYCOTT it! I think that’s what scares WB. Fans were very upset and they need to be sensitive to the fans. This is all about money. DH being broken into 2 movies, so they have millions, and I rather watch in on the interent and let it sink. Sorry some of the fans that do go see it in July have no regard for some fans that can’t afford it and wait for it and then get disappointed with WB finance.

Posted by Razor on December 29, 2008, 12:41 PM report to moderator
dobbyrox

if they hadn’t postponed HBP then there would be more anticipation for DH…… i don’t know why they’re complaining about anticipation, they took it away from everyone expecting the movie in November. Siriusly, WB.

Posted by dobbyrox on December 29, 2008, 12:41 PM report to moderator
breaking news

Aw, Mimblewimble, how nice it is to see you again.

Posted by breaking news on December 29, 2008, 01:10 PM report to moderator

"I'm a Metamorphamagus," she said, looking back at her reflection and turning her head so that she could see her hair from all directions. "It means I can change my appearance at will... I was born one. I got top marks in Concealment and Disguise during A