David Heyman on Deathly Hallows Split: "An Emotional and Very Truthful" Break

DH Film
December 19, 2008, 08:09 AM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a new video interview where he comments on the two scripts and breaking point for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Talking to Collider.com who let us know of their interview which you can see here, David Heyman noted he had just been in London discussing the scripts for DH part one and part two with director David Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves. When asked about the breaking or ending point of movie one, Mr. Heyman said it wont necessarily be an action- packed moment but "an emotional and very truthful" point that fans will be happy with.

The Potter producer also makes some very positive comments on the sixth film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince noting it is  finished at this point, and has a running time of about 2 and a half hours.

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

SproutMdme

I think it might end just after Dobby’s death and the group are at Shell cottage with Ollivander and Griphook…and Ollivander and Griphook can lay out the truths about what they may have to encounter, and the announcement of Teddy Lupin and Harry being made godfather, to sort of set up hope for a long-distant future and a ray of hope.

Posted by SproutMdme on December 19, 2008, 07:47 PM report to moderator
Eeyore

When Ron left was not a satisfying moment, but when he comes back and rescues Harry and destroys the Horcrux is. So, that would be through the Silver Doe. Unless they decide to leave the story hanging and stop somewhere in the middle of that chapter.

I hope that 2 and a half hours is really close to the time and not just an approximation. Maybe it’s more – that would be even better for HBP.

Posted by Eeyore on December 19, 2008, 08:45 PM report to moderator
Joel

Hey, i think we all have to think of these films in two parts, the decision to split the films means that (while they will have to function as ONE story) the films do need to work seperately on their own.
That means that wherever film 1 ends, it will need some sort of satisfying climax and honestly, just having the “are you refering to the deathly hallows” line and then a ‘to be continued’ would be such an anti climax and there will not have been enough pay off for an audience to have sat through presumeably a 2+ hour film just for a line and then nothing, esp for non-book fans.
The final scene and denoument of DH part 1 will need an emotional and exciting climax leading into an ‘emtional and very truthful’ conclusion. So really, looking at it in terms of the rules of film making, it has got to be either when Ron returns, finishing with the destruction of the locket, or malfoy manor into the death of dobby. Both scenes could be worked into highly exciting genuine climactic moments followed by emotional and truthful character moments (the friends reuniting, or dobbys death).
IMO dobby’s death would be the best moment, because it concludes harry’s inner struggle up to that point: the hallows vs horcrux issue is resolved in his head by this moment. This would allow part 1 to be able to completely stand on its own; have its own resolution and not feel like an anti climax, while still being true to the story of DH as a whole.

Posted by Joel on December 19, 2008, 08:50 PM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

Joel: Do you know what would be a good climax? Ending it after Harry says “I need to break into Gringotts”

wow!

But that’s not emotional or true.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 19, 2008, 10:19 PM report to moderator
radish_earrings

Daid Heyman makes me laugh …
“How do you like the sixth film?”
“Miserable.”

Big pause

Then lots of laughter. Keep up the great work!

Posted by radish_earrings on December 19, 2008, 10:42 PM report to moderator
Unashamed1

Two and a half hours! Yes! That means there’s a pretty good chance that they cut very little. I had heard that HBP was pretty complete, i.e. that they really didn’t cut anything from the book while writing the script…I hope the longer running time means that this is true. (However, just because they don’t cut, doesn’t mean they don’t alter—now let’s see if they keep things as they ought to be.) The moment I’m looking forward to—and most hoping that they get right—is the Harry\Ginny common room kiss…

As for DH: I’m so glad to hear that they are going for a closing to movie one that has emotional resonance, rather than something “slam-bang” just for the sake of a fire-works ending. This is probably just a reality of film-versus-print mediums, but the thing I dislike most about the films is the tendancy to sacrifice the relationships\emotional struggles (the things I love about the books) for the “action” things. Of course, those kinds of choices usually make sense for a big budget film, but I still hate to see those emotionally powerful moments get cut or trimmed down. One example that jumps to mind is OOTP: I was very much hoping to see the Pensive scene, and was glad (and a little surprised) when it was included…but also a bit sad to see it whittled down, and Lily cut out completely. The other scene I had been hoping (but not really expecting) to see was the companion moment to the Pensive, in which Sirius and Remus talk to Harry about what he has just seen…of course, neither of these are cinnematic “money shots,” but it comes down to one of those, “if I had been the one in the cutting room…” things. Each of us would make different choices…

I’m just glad that they are going for the “heart” in this cut. Can’t wait to see what they chose!

Posted by Unashamed1 on December 19, 2008, 11:36 PM report to moderator
Jonls

I have always felt, since learning that DH would be two films to end the first film when Griphook agrees to help break into Gringotts. You have the climax of film #1 with the escape from Malfoy Manor and the “wrap-up” with the funeral and Harry’s realization of what is actually happening. Movie #2 then can start with a quick summary of the past movie while the trio plus is planning the break-in. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by Jonls on December 20, 2008, 12:02 AM report to moderator
Andrea

Ron’s leaving is way to early in the story to end the film. Like others, I think it will be more “emotional and truthful” to have it set at Ron’s return… Granted, I do like the idea of Dobby’s funeral, but I think that needs to stay in the second half. And there are ways to have Dobby integrated back into the film. I think it’s important for the storyline (that Voldemort and his followers will stop at nothing to seek their ultimate goal. That’s why the victims in DH are so important – each and every one of them! They are characters we grew to know and love…)

So, yeah, my vote is for Ron’s RETURN!!

Posted by Andrea on December 20, 2008, 04:21 AM report to moderator
HPfan

“an emotional and very truthful point that fans will be happy with” I think it might be when Ron comes back.

Posted by HPfan on December 20, 2008, 06:03 AM report to moderator
Dave

A very emotional close of the 1st film would be on Christmas Eve when Harry and Hermione are in the Graveyard over his parents’ plots then fading out as they walk arm in arm through the square of Godric’s hollow with christmas carols echoing from the nearby pub with a light snow falling as they pull the invisibility cloak over themselves and you just see their footprints moving away….. then the second movie could start with the the two of them facing his parents old house / bagshots arrival/ voldemort attack. that grave yard scene was the emotional pinnacle of the book for me.

Posted by Dave on December 20, 2008, 11:09 AM report to moderator
jess

it’s probably going to be when ron leaves. It’s a very emotional part and will have people who haven’t read the books dying to find out what happens.

Posted by jess on December 20, 2008, 01:20 PM report to moderator
Miriam

Reading everyone’s comments reminds just how amazing dh is! Must reread it again. I think ron’s return is most likely, but loving dobby’s death. Can’t wait, i’ll dehydrate from crying so much when i see it.

Posted by Miriam on December 20, 2008, 02:26 PM report to moderator
Miriam

Posted by Miriam on December 20, 2008, 02:26 PM report to moderator
BonnieRadcliffe

It can also be when Harry and Hermione are in the graveyard visiting his parents’ graves. I bet they’re are going to leave the locket scene for part II.

Posted by BonnieRadcliffe on December 20, 2008, 02:37 PM report to moderator
BonnieRadcliffe

Dave, I have just read your comment!! =D I knew someone would think the same thing I did!! ^^

Posted by BonnieRadcliffe on December 20, 2008, 02:39 PM report to moderator

"Right then," said Professor McGonagall, looking up at the hourglasses on the wall, "well, I think Potter and his friends ought to have fifty points apiece for alerting the world to the return of You-Know-Who! What say you, Professor Snape?"[br]"What?" sn

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014