David Heyman on Deathly Hallows Split: "An Emotional and Very Truthful" Break

DH Film
December 19, 2008, 08:09 AM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a new video interview where he comments on the two scripts and breaking point for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Talking to Collider.com who let us know of their interview which you can see here, David Heyman noted he had just been in London discussing the scripts for DH part one and part two with director David Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves. When asked about the breaking or ending point of movie one, Mr. Heyman said it wont necessarily be an action- packed moment but "an emotional and very truthful" point that fans will be happy with.

The Potter producer also makes some very positive comments on the sixth film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince noting it is  finished at this point, and has a running time of about 2 and a half hours.

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

T-Vey

(correction): …if one film is 1/2 an hour longer than the other it’s okay, as long as there is a natural break…

Posted by T-Vey on December 19, 2008, 03:42 PM report to moderator
elven*princess221

I think it should end after Ron comes back and he destroys the horcrux. That would be awesome! It’s emotional, it’s got some action, it’s funny when Hermione sees him, and it’s truthful because that’s where Ron really wants to be. But I wouldn’t mind if it ended after Dobby’s death.

Posted by elven*princess221 on December 19, 2008, 03:49 PM report to moderator
elven*princess221

OH and I’m so excited that HBP is 2.5 hours!!!

Posted by elven*princess221 on December 19, 2008, 03:52 PM report to moderator
Mimblewimble

@ breaking news

Yeah I can see your point of view. I just enjoy talking about the possibilities.

Posted by Mimblewimble on December 19, 2008, 03:58 PM report to moderator
Amanda

yay for the Silver Doe! I think that Ron’s return and the destroying of the locket, along with the relationship between the trio finally being straightened out is the best part to leave off the first one. I think Dobby’s death is sad and not extremely action packed either, but fans might not be happy with that ending

Posted by Amanda on December 19, 2008, 04:14 PM report to moderator
John

Dobby’s death is too late in the story to make a full movie out of. Part Two would be ALL climax, and no substance, and that’s just awful.

So I think that The Silver Doe would be the best ending. They show the trio making up, going into their beds, and closing their eyes. Cue sad, slow, Christmas-y Hedwigs theme.

Next movie, start with them in the forest, then they go to Lovegood’s, etc. At the end, they show the trio in Dumbledore’s office, have Harry say “I’ve had enough trouble for a lifetime”, and END MOVIE with an epic, super fast, POTC Star Wars LoTR-esque variation of Hedwig’s theme. Have the epilogue AFTER the credits. ^^

I’m an epilogue hater. Sorry guys, but I think “I’ve had enough trouble for a lifetime” is the best way to end the movie.

Posted by John on December 19, 2008, 04:20 PM report to moderator
Witchchylde

I agree with dove, Ron’s return would be a much more satisfactory ending place for part one, kind of like Frodo and Sam heading off in one direction and the remainder of the fellowship taking off to rescue Merry and Pippin.

Posted by Witchchylde on December 19, 2008, 04:52 PM report to moderator
Will

When I read the book I always thought the best place to end part 1 is after the climax at Xeno’s. They have the hallows set up for part 2, people who haven’t read the book realize why the deathly hallows are important, and it poses a question for our Harry, “Horcruxes or hallows?”

Posted by Will on December 19, 2008, 05:01 PM report to moderator
the fish

ok, I’ve heard the dobby dying thing before, and really, you can’t break it there. other than the fact that it’s a tricky thing in the first place (necessary, but how do you bring dobby in anyway?), and also other than the fact that’s actually a really action-packed moment (escaping malfroy manner), the big issue is that it’s 2/3s of the way through the book. after that all that is left is the bank and the final battle. that’s really a pretty slim film, once you condense it down. I have always said either Ron’s return or the ministry scene, but now it looks that ron returning will be the moment (which is good, really, because the ministry scene is too early, and is almost as problematic as the dobby scene). you can’t really end with ron leaving. the point it’s at is anticlimactic. There will be (has to be) a climax, even if it isn’t an action-packed climax. Ron’s fight with harry isn’t really climactic, not like the doe scene will be. That has to be the scene.

Posted by the fish on December 19, 2008, 05:31 PM report to moderator
breaking news

@ Mimblewimble

thank you for that, i like to see you’re as crazy as me about this film.
P.S. I do love talking to you

Posted by breaking news on December 19, 2008, 05:37 PM report to moderator
Mimblewimble

Thanks. Merry Christmas.

Posted by Mimblewimble on December 19, 2008, 05:53 PM report to moderator
Libby

Hmmm Well, either they stop when Ron returns and destroys the locket and they both see Snape’s Silver Doe OR them APPROACHING the Lovegoods house. There is SO SO SO much action; the seven potters, the wedding,in the Ministry, Ron leaves, Godric’s Hollow, Ron’s Return, then the idea to go to Luna’s. I think it’d be awful torturous to end with “Are you referring to the sign of the Deathly Hallows?”. Maybe having Ron save Harry’s life and come back to Hermione. That’s perfect I think.

Posted by Libby on December 19, 2008, 06:02 PM report to moderator
Amy.

No way! it’s got to be when Ron comes back, freeze frame of him looking heroic holding the sword! Harry amazed! Hermione runs out and looks joyful! TO BE CONTINUED!

Posted by Amy. on December 19, 2008, 06:57 PM report to moderator
LunaB

I think it will be when Ron comes back!!! That is super emotional and it would be a great end for the first movie…

Posted by LunaB on December 19, 2008, 07:21 PM report to moderator
Sanju

Wow, a truthful and emotional break! Wonder where it will be split. I think it might be when Ron comes back mainly because, it is very emotional and secondly because if you have noticed, every movie ends with a new hope for some golden days to look forward to. So, if Ron comes back, it will surely fill them with a new hope. Oh, I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO HERMIONE PUNCHING RON! It’s hilarious, so sweet at the same time. Every actor will play his/her part superbly I’m sure! Can’t wait

Posted by Sanju on December 19, 2008, 07:45 PM report to moderator

Just then, Neville caused a slight diversion by turning into a large canary.[br]"Oh -- sorry, Neville!" Fred shouted over all the laughter. "I forgot -- it [i]was[/i] the custard creams we hexed --"