David Heyman on Deathly Hallows Split: "An Emotional and Very Truthful" Break

DH Film
December 19, 2008, 08:09 AM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a new video interview where he comments on the two scripts and breaking point for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Talking to Collider.com who let us know of their interview which you can see here, David Heyman noted he had just been in London discussing the scripts for DH part one and part two with director David Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves. When asked about the breaking or ending point of movie one, Mr. Heyman said it wont necessarily be an action- packed moment but "an emotional and very truthful" point that fans will be happy with.

The Potter producer also makes some very positive comments on the sixth film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince noting it is  finished at this point, and has a running time of about 2 and a half hours.

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Phnxfire

I agree when Ron leaves is a bit too early. Everything after the Malfoy Manor scene is pretty crucial. What would really bother me is if they do a really good job on the first part and then come out with a really rushed second part…but hopefully that won’t happen.

Posted by Phnxfire on December 19, 2008, 11:54 AM report to moderator
Descartes

The “lowest” point in DH is when Harry awakes to find his wand broken, between Ron’s departure and Ron’s return and about half-way through the story line. It also represents a pause right after the action in Godric’s Hollow. This has always seemed the natural breaking point to me.

Posted by Descartes on December 19, 2008, 11:54 AM report to moderator
peter

interesting interview. I loved it! I wonder where the split will take place. In my opinion, I would like it to be either the end of the malfoy manor climax and the beginning of the second part be dobby’s death or when ron leaves or comes back, I bet it will take placen there. I am so excited for the dh movie, it’s goign to be spectacular, and half blood prince looks awesome, 2 and a half hours, yes! Longer than ootp!

Posted by peter on December 19, 2008, 11:57 AM report to moderator
hambro

I hope dh has modern music at the end of the credits, to make the hp films’ more modern like stardust is an old fashioned movie but it it had a modern song at the end, hp needs something like that!

Posted by hambro on December 19, 2008, 12:00 PM report to moderator
hambro

Posted by hambro on December 19, 2008, 12:00 PM report to moderator
mollywobbles23

@ gilderoysonlyfan

Dobby’s death is WAY too late in the story to end the first movie on.

The Silver Doe is pretty much halfway through, it would be one horcrux destroyed, and the trio is reunited.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on December 19, 2008, 12:01 PM report to moderator
Kiwi Mc I

I love what he says about the truth in the characters, because for me it isnt the action or anything else but the characters that i’ve fallen in love with, as long as they stay truthful to the characters and properly develop and end them in a way that’s satisfying in these two movies then i’m on board.
Also i think it was fate that HBP is delayed. Honestly now it feels better that through the next year on leaky were gonna have the DH news from the set and the excitement of seeing it slowly come together off the page but also have the huge build up and anticipation of seeing the sixth one. I think next year will be a good Potter year… hopefully Jo will give us more developments on the Scottish book and then we’d really be off!

Posted by Kiwi Mc I on December 19, 2008, 12:03 PM report to moderator
Kiwi Mc I

And Hambro I would hate the idea of having a modern song at the end of HP. These are timeless tales and having a contemporary song at the end i think would anchor it in the 00’s. I hope in 70 years time the family are still gathered round at the holidays to watch these movies as they still are today with the likes of the Wizard of Oz

Posted by Kiwi Mc I on December 19, 2008, 12:07 PM report to moderator
Tarotx

Ending with Ron leaving makes no sense in a film that’s The Deathly Hollows part one. Also I think the film should be as close to a self contained movie as possible. Ending with Ron returning gives us an emotional moment and a kind of stand alone movie but not a Deathly Hollows one. The Xenophilius stuff doesn’t happen until after Ron’s return. I don’t want them to end with Ron leaving. That leaves so much to happen in the second movie and everything that happens in the last few actual book chapters can’t be cut. They are too important to Harry’s journey and to the series as a whole. Dobby’s funeral would be the best place to end so that the second movie can have all the time it needs to really get tell the close the way it deserves. But that leaves a lot to happen in the first movie.

Posted by Tarotx on December 19, 2008, 12:22 PM report to moderator
Tarotx

I need to proof read better…..

Dobby’s funeral would be the best place to end it as a movie and so that the second one can have all the time it needs to really tell the close the way it deserves. But that leaves a lot to happen in the first movie.

Posted by Tarotx on December 19, 2008, 12:25 PM report to moderator
freya

ooh yay 2 and a half hours long for movie 6!!!\

Posted by freya on December 19, 2008, 12:26 PM report to moderator
Moody One

Kiwi Mc I agree with you. The music in the HP movies are timeless. If they were modern it would cheapen the whole experience. As for the split, I think ending it with the Silver Doe and Ron returning would be what I would want to see. But that’s just me. : )

Posted by Moody One on December 19, 2008, 12:31 PM report to moderator
mollywobbles

But ending at Dobby’s funeral makes it where the first film has to try to fit a whole lot more in its allotted time. If you end it there, the first movie would have:

1. The Seven Potters
2. The wedding
3. Grimmauld Place
4. Kreacher’s Tale
5. Magic is Might
6. a little camping
7. Ron leaving
8. Godric’s Hollow
9. Life and Lies…
10. The Silver Doe
11. Xenophilius
12. Malfoy Manor
13. Dobby’s funeral.

The second film would have:
1. Gringotts
2. Alberforth
3. the DA
4. Snape fleeing, figuring where the lost diadem is, R/Hr kiss
5. Fiend Fyre, Fred dying
6. Shrieking Shack
7. Prince’s Tale
8. Forest Again.
9. Final confrontation

^A lot of the things listed in the second part can be compressed and probably will be so as not to be clunky. The biggest things (time wise) are: Gringotts, Shrieking Shack/Prince’s Tale, Forest Again, and Final confrontation.

But, in the first part, most everything listed is very time consuming. So, Dobby’s funeral is WAY too late. I want both movies to be good, not have one be rushed so the we can have every minute detail of the Battle of Hogwarts, which just isn’t going to happen.

Posted by mollywobbles on December 19, 2008, 12:37 PM report to moderator
Griffie

While I would like it to be when Ron leaves, could it be at Christmas when Hermione and Harry find his parents graves? That would constitute as emotional and truthful. And then start the second movie from there moving into the Bathilda/Nagini stuff

Posted by Griffie on December 19, 2008, 12:41 PM report to moderator
ljamied

Well, I think there are two obvious choices-
1. When Ron leaves(or comes back)
2. Dobby’s death
But the ‘Deathly Hallows’ line isn’t bad. As long as there is a definite finish to one part of the story so they can start the last one in forward motion.

I just hope they capture the urgency and power of the moment that the three of them go on the run. I don’t know if they will have the wedding scene or not since they have never introduced Bill as a character in the movies, but when the Death Eaters attack and Harry, Hermoine and Ron all have to find each other through the crowd and make that split-second decision to be off on their own is extremely moving. It shows just how grown up they are-this isn’t some sneaking around at school where they might get detention, this is real-world, life or death and they meet it head on when they grab each others hands and arm and turn on the spot.

Posted by ljamied on December 19, 2008, 12:50 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"He can't come back, Harry," said Lupin, his voice breaking as he struggled to contain Harry. "He can't come back, because he's d --"[br]"HE -- IS -- NOT -- DEAD!" roared Harry. "SIRIUS!"