David Heyman on Deathly Hallows Split: "An Emotional and Very Truthful" Break

DH Film
December 19, 2008, 08:09 AM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a new video interview where he comments on the two scripts and breaking point for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Talking to Collider.com who let us know of their interview which you can see here, David Heyman noted he had just been in London discussing the scripts for DH part one and part two with director David Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves. When asked about the breaking or ending point of movie one, Mr. Heyman said it wont necessarily be an action- packed moment but "an emotional and very truthful" point that fans will be happy with.

The Potter producer also makes some very positive comments on the sixth film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince noting it is  finished at this point, and has a running time of about 2 and a half hours.

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Muggle-Born-Witch

I would have bet it is when Ron leaves.
The Doe scene leads up to an “action” scene with the near drowning and Ron facing Harry-mort and Hermione-mort. Which then leads to the “action” of Hermione tweaking out on Ron—I think that could be a good hook for the next and final movie. Ron leaving is very “emotional” and “truthful”.

But it is interesting to think that when Lovegood says “…the sign of the Deathly Hallows” is the cut. Because what happens after that would be a great start to the next movie too. But although I find the part “truthful” … it’s not “emotional”.

The “Dobby’s Death” theory /might/ sway me. Haha. Maybe ending with the burial of Dobby and having Harry actually beginning to realize what he needs to do. But does that leave enough plot for movie number 2? Unfortunately, thanks to college course, it’s been a few months since I had the chance to read the books—but after that, don’t they just to to Hogsmead and then to Hogwarts? It would be a completely action packed hour and a half (at least) second movie if that is where the split is.

Ah, I think I’m for when Ron leaves. Geeze, is there a forum for this? Haha.
going to look

-Muggle-Born-Witch

Posted by Muggle-Born-Witch on December 19, 2008, 10:13 AM report to moderator
Christine

I think when Ron returns will be a good part to break off. I think that Ron leaving would be too soon, because Harry & Hermione still have to go to Godric’s Hollow and all that stuff and read about Dumbledore. So The Silver Doe would be a good part to end. :)

And two and a half hours? Nice :D

Posted by Christine on December 19, 2008, 10:14 AM report to moderator
Muggle-Born-Witch

and a comment about HP6 being 2 and a half hours…

looks like they aren’t leaving too much out!
yay!

-Muggle-Born-Witch

Posted by Muggle-Born-Witch on December 19, 2008, 10:18 AM report to moderator
breaking news

It’s official, part I will end when Ron leaves Harry and Hermione

Posted by breaking news on December 19, 2008, 10:27 AM report to moderator
SeVeRuS<3

i think that it should end right after harry burrys dobby and we see him walk away now knowing to go after horcruxes not hallows. it would leave the next movie to open at shell cottage then gringotts and the battle all the action in the second movie

Posted by SeVeRuS<3 on December 19, 2008, 10:34 AM report to moderator
Mimblewimble

@ breaking news

Are you just speculating? Because if movie 1 ends when Ron leaves, there is so much left for the second movie that they would have to cut a bunch of stuff just to make the second movie under 3 hours. So are you speculating or serious?

Posted by Mimblewimble on December 19, 2008, 10:46 AM report to moderator
dcrazmo

Dobby’s death, Ron’s return — they’re all too close to the end. I say after Godric’s Hollow. Ron has left, Harry’s wand is broken, things look at their worst. It’s a real cliffhanger.

Posted by dcrazmo on December 19, 2008, 10:47 AM report to moderator
dcrazmo

Posted by dcrazmo on December 19, 2008, 10:47 AM report to moderator
Lionpaws

I think the perfect split will be when Dobby dies. Of course when Ron comes back and destroys the locket would be good too.

How long was OotP? I forgot. Awesome that HBP is 2:30!!!

Posted by Lionpaws on December 19, 2008, 10:49 AM report to moderator
Chreechree

I agree that cutting it when Ron leaves is too early, way too early when you consider what is left to happen and how comparatively little has already happened. I even think that it ending with Ron’s return might be a bit too early, but it would be a much better place because at least Godric’s Hollow and the Silver Doe scene will have happened.

I like the idea of it ending with Dobby’s “funeral” because it is then, as Dru said, that Harry thinks “Horcrux or Hallows.” That is a pivotal moment and when Harry chooses his path. It is then that the end game begins. The Malfoy Manor scene would be a great climax, and, to Muggle-born-witch, there’s still plenty to be done at that point: Gringotts (that’s going to be a huge sequence, the dragon escape, Hogsmeade and Hogwarts. Remember how much has to happen in Hogsmeade and Hogwarts: Abeforth, the RoR, going to Ravenclaw tower (the sacking of Snape), the beginning of the battle, R/Hr’s first kiss, getting the diadem from the RoR, Fred’s death, Snape’s death, Snape’s backstory, into the forest, Harry’s death, Kings Cross, the return, and the final battle. That’s a lot to pack into one movie if they do it right. I’d rather them cut out some of the earlier parts than make cuts to the last day (Gringott’s forward).

I also like the idea of it ending with Xeno, so I would not be disappointed by that.

Posted by Chreechree on December 19, 2008, 10:50 AM report to moderator
SOOPRcow

The best moment to end it is when harry is in the lake reaching for the sword and slowly drowning/freezing to death. Then have it fade to black.

The next movie would start with Ron reaching into the lake and saving the day.

I mean, I really cant think of a better emotional cliff hanger / split then that.

Posted by SOOPRcow on December 19, 2008, 10:52 AM report to moderator
Mimblewimble

I guess they could switch stuff around. Like they could still end it at Ron leaving, if they moved Godric’s Hollow to before Ron leaves (just have H/Hr go and leave Ron in the tent) and if they also moved Xeno’s house to before Ron leaves. If they did those things, then maybe ending with Ron’s leaving wouldn’t be too early. But if they don’t switch anything around, then ending movie 1 with Ron leaving would involve MASSIVE cuts to the second part of the book to fit everything into the second film.

Posted by Mimblewimble on December 19, 2008, 11:00 AM report to moderator
mollywobbles23

When Ron returns?

If they end part 1 when he leaves, I’ll be mad. Aside from it being too early, it will make movie-only people mad at him for months, not just chapters. Unless, they show him getting caught by Snatchers, then I could MAYBE handle that.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on December 19, 2008, 11:10 AM report to moderator
gilderoysonlyfan

I’ve always thought that in terms of cinematography Dobby’s death would be a very shocking end to part I. It would also give film II enough room to work out the end, without rushing things. It’s what I would do, anyway…

Posted by gilderoysonlyfan on December 19, 2008, 11:15 AM report to moderator
dove

True mollywobbles23, and there is already way too much Ron hate! They don’t need to fuel it more

Posted by dove on December 19, 2008, 11:19 AM report to moderator

"Excellent," said Aunt Marge. "I won't have this namby-pamby, wishy-washy nonsense about not hitting people who deserve it. A good thrashing is what's needed in ninety-nine cases out of a hundered. Have [i]you[/i] been beaten often?"[br]"Oh, yeah," said H