Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to Film for 54 Weeks

DH Film
December 18, 2008, 11:35 AM

Harry Potter film producer David Heyman has given a new interview where he discusses the upcoming work to be done on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In this article from the PA, David Heyman said: "We finished the sixth film which'll be coming out next summer and we start filming the seventh which we'll be breaking into two parts for a 54 week shoot starting in February."

The bulk of the article focuses on Mr. Heyman's reflections on the behavior of the trio over the years, speaking about a "no airs" no diva attitudes taken by Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint. On the Harry Potter set we have a lot of crew from the first film," he explained at the premiere of his new movie Yes Man in LA. "You can't get away with anything there, you get joshed and played with. You can't have any airs or graces."

He continued: "You cast for the moment, you have no sense of how someone is going to survive or how they're going to develop. I've been very fortunate with the kids. There are so many cases of young kids being damaged by the experience or going off the rails and fortunately with Dan, Rupert and Emma that hasn't happened to them... yet!"

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

ashley

It’s really quite amazing that all the major actors in HP are still IN the series. When an interviewer would ask Dan, “Aren’t you afaid you’ll OUTGROW the character?”…I would think to myself, “Geez, what about the actors playing Snape, Dumbledore, and McGonagall?”…Can THEY make it through the entire series? That’s kinda a scary thought having to replace ANY of the actors at this point. 10 years is a loooooong time. The entire francise has been extremely lucky in that respect.

Posted by ashley on December 18, 2008, 08:39 PM report to moderator
mollywobbles23

ICM has new pics of Rupert in Cherrybomb!

Posted by mollywobbles23 on December 18, 2008, 08:42 PM report to moderator
mollywobbles23

I should say that there are three new ones and a larger version of the one we got the other day. :)

Posted by mollywobbles23 on December 18, 2008, 08:44 PM report to moderator
eruditewitch

Mama Lovegood….

Show me what you mean by constant debates. It’s sort of hyperbolic considering this is the first one in a very very very long time.

Posted by eruditewitch on December 18, 2008, 10:02 PM report to moderator
Miriam

I think David put things very well by saying how lucky they have been with finding Dan, Rupert and Emma – it could just as easily have gone very wrong and they could have ended up with a bunch of self-obsessed tossers. I think they all show good work ethic and that says a lot for people so young – and they don’t seem to have let the money and fame go to their heads.

The 54 weeks sounds fairly obvious – Dan said he’s be filming for 14 months – that looks about right with a break in the middle of a few weeks.

I think the screen time with Emma and Rupert will be pretty much evenly spread – the only major parts that the three of them aren’t together is when Ron leaves them and Harry & Hermione go to Godrics Hollow. In the second part of DH Harry will be in a lot more solo scenes.

Posted by Miriam on December 19, 2008, 06:06 AM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

I’ve only had time to read the first “page” of postings…@Cat: Well said! I am with you 100% and after watching our way [here, across the pond] of handling child actors, I can see nothing ahead, for the trio, than well adjusted and happy young adults….not spoiled, pampered and ignored, by their parents and others. Here, unfortunately, if a child is found to have talent, they are put into a role. That role lasts a while or they make a huge amount of money, they are never allowed to be “children”…they become a commodity.This current shooting schedule is going to be long and grueling. I think they are up to the task. Dan, Rupert and Emma all have their sights set, on the future. THEIR future, after HP, lies in continued education. Be it Academic, or artistic. I am proud of them, and I’m sure their parents are too….

Posted by Confederate Lady on December 19, 2008, 07:42 AM report to moderator
Aberforth

Agreed that the trio’s interviews show each of them to be very well-adjusted and mature for their age, so families, adult cast and crew deserve credit for the way they’ve helped to keep them, and most of the other younger cast members, grounded through the 8 years of intermittent filming. And we can be especially proud of them as role models for British youth, and hope that continues..

The filming schedule will be arduous, and iirc they are aiming to complete as much as possible of Hermione’s scenes before Emma goes to Uni in September, so all the camping – no doubt programmed for warmer times than in the script! – Godric’s Hollow, Shell Cottage etc can be done then. Malfoy Manor will wait for Helena’s start in ?July. Even much of the Hogwarts stuff around the final battle does not need the likes of Ralph Fiennes (body double, CGI) so Emma could just be in for call backs around next Christmas and wrap-up bits in March 2010. Of course, they can’t finalise her schedule till she knows whether Uni will be in USA or UK!

Posted by Aberforth on December 19, 2008, 08:11 AM report to moderator
lizetm

Dang, that is more than a year of shooting … I’m glad they’re taking their time. I’m sure I’m not the only one that wants these two films to be the best they can be. :D

Posted by lizetm on December 19, 2008, 04:02 PM report to moderator
radcakesfan

Mama lovegood, i am with you. I was so disappointed in the amount of book time luna got in the sixth book. h/l beats h.g any day of the week. And yes to chucking ron and hermione- that’s gonna be my bathroom break.

Posted by radcakesfan on December 19, 2008, 04:37 PM report to moderator
poldi f.

Honestly, who cares any more … when the film will be released, I’ll be 20 years older than today, so to say. Best Wishes for Xmas and the New Year to everybody, though :-)

Posted by poldi f. on December 22, 2008, 09:08 AM report to moderator
Joey

54 weeks is to long. Sounds like they are taking their time with it – I hope its worth it. Didn’t the 3 Lord of the Rings movies take 45 weeks to make? Maybe it takes that long to build new movie sets because they’ll need to build some new ones. The Book almost has Harry, Ron & Harmione spending all of their time together so they should be together through-out the filming. I think they will split the movie when Bellatrix takes Harmione at the Malfoy’s – Its a good cliff hanger moment.

Posted by Joey on December 23, 2008, 03:00 PM report to moderator
Cathy

That’s a lot of weeks to make one movie. Will they all be happy or sad or a little of both when it finally ends? I’m sure that they all will have happy memories of the whole thing. But at least they should have one or two weeks vacation in between the two halves of the last movie. Take a break! Even us regular people who have regular jobs get a week or two of vacation time. I can’t imagine working a full year without a vacation break.

Posted by Cathy on December 29, 2008, 02:21 PM report to moderator

"Fifty points from Gryffindor for lateness, I think," said Snape. "And, let me see, another twenty for your Muggle attire. You know, I don't believe any House has ever been in negative figures this early in the term: We haven't even started pudding. You m