Emma Watson Talks Acting, the Future, and Harry/Hermione in New Interview

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Edward
December 18, 2008, 09:52 PM

A new interview with Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) is online this evening which features the young actress answering fourteen questions from MovieFone.com.  Miss Watson, who is currently promoting her latest film, The Tales of Despereaux, spoke on a number of subjects during this interview including her experience working on an animated film, her Harry Potter co-stars Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory), life in the public eye, and about the relationship between the characters of Harry and Hermione.  When asked if she was disappointed a different relationship never developed between the two characters, Miss Watson notes that she felt is was "always obvious" that Harry and Hermione shared a pure friendship, saying in full:

No ... I mean, to me it was always obvious that their relationship was purely friends. It always felt to me that she was very mothering towards him. It just wouldn't be right. And I think that Ron and Hermione are so perfect for each other that I'm not disappointed. [Laughs] It's meant to be.
The interview also features talk of Goblet of Fire costar Robert Pattinson, who she notes "must be over the moon" about the recent Twilight success, and Dan Radcliffe and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) who all continue to keep in touch between Potter films.  Finally, discussion turns to The Tales of Despereaux and her experience making this film.  In regards to any surprises she experienced in making an animated film, she relates:
It's so rewarding to be a part of -- I mean, this may just apply to 'Despereaux,' I don't know -- but it's incredible to be a character that is being created from animation, and to be involved in that way, and then go sit down in a theater and see something that is almost a complete surprise to you, in the way that it looks and ... it was amazing going to see it. I was just so happy with it -- I'm proud of it. To do so little and to produce something so amazing is quite incredible. It's very liberating, in a way, not to be worrying about your appearance, and just focusing on the voice.
The full interview can be read right here.

Thanks Andie.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

radcakesfan

Thank god the movie is called Harry Potter. I love the fact that Dan is the lead – the story revolves around his character and via his eyes. Everyone else is a sidestory that can be and has been, thus far, set aside.

Most of the movie viewers are supposedly non readers. That’s true of my family. I know a lot of people are/were expecting h/hr- should be interesting when the next movie comes up.

Most hp potter fans want to see everything in the book which means an evil h/hr kiss and most fans don’t care about the shipping, they just enjoy the stories. But there are many people who do not like the various couplings and never will. That doesn’t make us “no one’s” either.

Posted by radcakesfan on December 24, 2008, 10:39 AM report to moderator
Will

“Seriously. So true, Will. So true. Out of the HP fans world-wide, only a small fraction goes as far as posting on forums or message boards online. And out of this small fraction, only a very small fraction is specifcally interested in shipping, the rest would have taken it as it came.”

Exactly. For some reason H/Hrs tend to label everyone who happens to like canon as R/Hr shippers, but that’s simply not true. While we may be pleased that two characters we care about got their happily ever after, many of us (like myself) were never into the shipping discussions.

“But I am really a bit tired of hearing EVERYONE wants H/Hr.”

Of course, that is blatantly untrue. H/Hrs are so desperate for any kind of validation for their views, that they tend to interpret certain things rather.. liberally.

Here’s a typical scenario I’ve seen many times: a random celeb/actor/writer/mediaperson makes a random comment about the Harry Potter books and H/Hr shippers squee “Oh look, he/she ships Harry/Hermione”. Normal people will be left wondering “how the heck did they derive THAT from the comment, he/she didn’t say anything about them!”
Posted by Will on December 24, 2008, 11:04 AM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

Ummmm A lot? After the second movie? You seem to have crazy ideas about what is a lot and what is everyone.

You should spend some time on other sites. I think you might be stuck in a small world somewhere (portkey or SCQ) and dont’ understand that you guys are a dramatic minority.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 24, 2008, 02:05 PM report to moderator
galadriel12

In the end it’s a moot point to argue who is in the majority or what ‚most people’ want. I mainly object to the assumption that H/Hr is what EVERYONE wants anyway, especially when the argumentation is based on the supposed overwhelming chemistry between Dan and Emma. Mind you, I think Dan and Emma have great chemistry, but IMO so have Emma and Rupert or Rupert and Dan.

Even if the vast majority – which I personally doubt, but I have no statistics at hand to prove my assumption – wanted H/Hr, I wouldn’t care. Because that’s not what ‘s going to happen. It didn’t happen in the books and it won’t happen in the movies. The movie makers have caught on the R/Hr dynmaic early on (i.e. awkward handshake at the end of CoS) and David Yates, who has directed OotP and HBP and who will direct the two DH movies, said: Ron and Hermione are ‘delightful, funny, tender and true’. So I have full trust that HBP as well as DH will make painfully clear what, IMO, has already been made clear enough in the previous movies with regards to the upcoming R/Hr romance. Supported by Rupert and Emma’s acting skills and their good chemistry. (More than one reviewer actually positively commented on it).

And yes, I do want to see the evil H/Hr kiss. I absolutely want to see it. Played out as it was described in the book – which basically told us ‘their lips met’ and not ‘they snogged passionately’. The important point to keep in mind here is: This scene is NOT about H/Hr (or Dan/Emma or whatever) it is solely about RON. It is his becoming a man scene, his defeating his inner demons and insecurities. The evil H/Hr kiss is not supposed to have the audience sit there and think ‘oh wow, what a sexy, passionate snog. H/Hr forever!!!’, it’s supposed to be torture, to make the audience understand and feel compassionate with Ron, and if the movie shows anything else, then the movie makers and everyone involved have failed miserably. IMO.

Posted by galadriel12 on December 25, 2008, 04:44 AM report to moderator
brittany

last paragraph well put galadriel12 .. & alot of people who watch the movies dotn read the book, & in movie 4 & 5 sometimes they were totally confused.. not only abut the pairings but they dont understand why eevryone so emotional.. why harry emo, why ron seems jealous but quite, & why hermione is always sounded exaperated(sp) & i hate breaking that stuff down for them, because i have read the books!

Posted by brittany on December 25, 2008, 11:43 AM report to moderator
radcakesfan

Not sure how anyone would not have gotten the r/hr hints but h/hr IS the answer i got when i asked some non readers i know. This is after the last movie too. They hadn’t read the books and i refuse to tell them the ending ’cuz i want them to read the books obviously.

Talking about scenarios with people shipping what normal people don’t see , has anyone seen that latest r/e youtube clip from the NME awards? The comments on ONTD are hilarious, saying exactly that, that they are just standing beside each other and talking a bit. Nothing to see, in other words. lol. Also i’ve seen other pictures where they get all excited about some picture when one person isn’t actually even looking at the other person but behind them but the shippers are squeeing anyways lol. (Oh and i’m not on any of those sites. Barely go on there to be honest. It’s far more hilarious reading the nonsense on other sites!

To Will, i’d be interested in knowing whose comments you’re thinking of where h/hr was mistakenly mentioned when they were not? Regis, jonathan Ross, Harry Smith, they’ve all actually said they wanted or expected h/hr.

Posted by radcakesfan on December 25, 2008, 02:29 PM report to moderator
we'll hafta see

I bet the HBP movie will clear things up for a lot of the confused people who have only watche the moviees, even if they never read the books bec ause Harry is with Ginny and Hermione wants Ron and cries when he goes with Lavender. EVen the little parts we already saw showed those things are already in the movies.

Posted by we'll hafta see on December 25, 2008, 03:52 PM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

Radcakesfan: Look anyone on here up on Youtube (your major detractors all use their real online handles here because they don’t hide, and then look us up on Livejournal). Since no one cares really about real life shipping here except you, then you trying to argue something that has nothing to do with anything at all.

Your arguments here make no sense. Your statistics are made up. What we have to go on is the fact that almost every reviewer reviewing the GoF and OotP movies commented on Rupert and Emma doing excellent in Ron and Hermione’s realm. And after the third film, can you please show me one example of these “everybody” you keep referring to who are convinced of Harry and Hermione’s undying love due to Dan and Emma’s “chemistry” (which I haven’t seen any reviewer comment about)? Word of mouth doesn’t work when mounting evidence suggest otherwise.

Please. I’m waiting for “everybody” to be proven in any way. Especially on this site which is so full of so many HP fans. A large percentage I would wager.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 25, 2008, 11:49 PM report to moderator
Karin

I just cannot see where people get H/Hr from? How can the R/Hr-hints be ignored, I just don’t get it at all.
The only way I can somehow rationalise an expectation of H/hr is
a) If you haven’t read the books (where R/Hr is blatantly obvious from PoA onwards, if not sooner).
b) If you watch the movies and only pay attention to the main storyline (the quest to defeat Voldemort) and ignore the romances.

If you had actually WATCHED carefully how the characters interact you couldn’t have missed the R/Hr tension: The awkward hand holding, the Yule Ball (Harry doesn’t care that Hermione goes with Krum, he wanted to go with Cho anyway. Ron on the other hand is green with jealousy and the argument makes everything EXTREMELY obvious if you pay ANY attention at all.) You would’ve also noticed that Hermione is extremely comfortable discussing her own love life with Harry, as well as commenting on Harry’s love life. (‘Victor is more..physical’ (GoF), ‘Cho couldn’t take her eyes off you, could she?’ (OotP). The lack of jealousy on both parts is a sure sign that Harry and Hermione have an extremely comfortable but entirely platonic relationship

So yes, if you only watch the movies casually, without really paying attention you might think: ‘I bet Harry and Hermione hook up ’cause that’s how all fairytales end, with the hero getting the female lead.’ However, if you actually decide to actively pay attention to the movies you will see where we’re really heading.

When Regis, Ross and Smith assume H/Hr, they’re insulting the movie makers, because it’s obvious they haven’t watched the movies properly. Otherwise they wouldn’t make such unprofessional comments!

Posted by Karin on December 25, 2008, 11:59 PM report to moderator
Karin

EruditeWitch: There is a treat You-Know-Where

Posted by Karin on December 26, 2008, 12:08 AM report to moderator
kay

i love shipping. shipping is fun and it’s a huge part of the fandom. i don’t mind h/h shippers, but i’m a total h/r shipper. i loved the interview. she says massive loads, i loved how british it sounded.

Posted by kay on December 27, 2008, 11:46 AM report to moderator
Natalie

THANK YOU, EMMA.
I just want people to stop going on about Harry and Hermione and all this “they were meant to be” crap – Hermione loves Ron. End of. Get over it, lol.

Posted by Natalie on December 31, 2008, 04:51 AM report to moderator
radcakesfan

For people who think “real life people shipping is creeeeeepy”, I wonder why they would start or worse, restart a rupert/emma shipping thread ? Actions speak louder than words, and i haven’t done that. As for critics, seems to me a lot of them plain ignored mentioning certain people because they barely were in the movies, especially in the last movie. Also as i think i’ve said, the harry romance has been focused on his scenes with Cho, even up to the last movie.

Posted by radcakesfan on December 31, 2008, 05:28 PM report to moderator
MeWhoElse

I agree that people who only watch movie for the excitement factor( or because HP was such a phenomenon and they wanted to get it on the hype-but of course just like all wannabes they were TOO lazy to actually read the books! LOL!) ship H/Hr. This is not even shipping to me because they are just watching the movie for cool special effects without paying a hoot to the actual characters (which BTW are portrayed badly in movies) and assuming that since Harry is the main male character and Hermione is by his side,
HARRY-HERMIONE4EVA!
My advice: Read the damn books.

Posted by MeWhoElse on January 29, 2009, 04:09 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

I can’t believe how fast the actors are growing up!

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on February 11, 2009, 10:06 AM report to moderator

...at Malfoy's last words, Ron had leapt off his stool, and in the scramble to collect bags and books, his attempts to reach Malfoy went unnoticed.[br]"Let me at him," Ron growled as Harry and Dean hung onto his arms. "I don't care, I don't need my wand,

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014