Emma Watson Talks Acting, the Future, and Harry/Hermione in New Interview

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Edward
December 18, 2008, 09:52 PM

A new interview with Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) is online this evening which features the young actress answering fourteen questions from MovieFone.com.  Miss Watson, who is currently promoting her latest film, The Tales of Despereaux, spoke on a number of subjects during this interview including her experience working on an animated film, her Harry Potter co-stars Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory), life in the public eye, and about the relationship between the characters of Harry and Hermione.  When asked if she was disappointed a different relationship never developed between the two characters, Miss Watson notes that she felt is was "always obvious" that Harry and Hermione shared a pure friendship, saying in full:

No ... I mean, to me it was always obvious that their relationship was purely friends. It always felt to me that she was very mothering towards him. It just wouldn't be right. And I think that Ron and Hermione are so perfect for each other that I'm not disappointed. [Laughs] It's meant to be.
The interview also features talk of Goblet of Fire costar Robert Pattinson, who she notes "must be over the moon" about the recent Twilight success, and Dan Radcliffe and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) who all continue to keep in touch between Potter films.  Finally, discussion turns to The Tales of Despereaux and her experience making this film.  In regards to any surprises she experienced in making an animated film, she relates:
It's so rewarding to be a part of -- I mean, this may just apply to 'Despereaux,' I don't know -- but it's incredible to be a character that is being created from animation, and to be involved in that way, and then go sit down in a theater and see something that is almost a complete surprise to you, in the way that it looks and ... it was amazing going to see it. I was just so happy with it -- I'm proud of it. To do so little and to produce something so amazing is quite incredible. It's very liberating, in a way, not to be worrying about your appearance, and just focusing on the voice.
The full interview can be read right here.

Thanks Andie.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

enzie

Don’t worry, radcakesfan, I think Rupert and Emma have plenty of screen chemistry, something I feel is obvious enough to numerous people that I don’t have to string it up in blinking lights like most people do who ‘see’ H/Hr chemistry. If you see H/Hr chemistry, it must be like Thestrals. Some people see it, some people see nothing of the sort. But you’re welcome to watch through your rose-colored glasses and see all the H/Hr chemistry you want. Hope that makes you giggle and swoon, or whatever it is you do.

Now if you’re talking about Dan/Emma chemistry you see onscreen, that does make them bad actors by virtue of you seeing Dan and Emma, not their characters. Not only that, it takes it back to you shipping real people again, and that’s just downright pathetic.

As to the question you asked me? More obvious answers – so obvious everyone has got there first to tell you, but I’ll heartily agree. What the devil does the fact that Emma says she’d want Harry have to do with whether Hermione does or not? Emma also talks about how much ‘like Hermione’ she is, and I don’t happen to think she’s much like Hermione at all. Most of what I see on screen is Emma trying to be Hermione – very hard sometimes, so I certainly can’t fault her for that – but in my opinion, she rarely succeeds. So let Emma want Harry – it’s her prerogative (and good luck with that lol). It’s more than obvious in the books who Hermione wants, and that’s all I care about.

Posted by enzie on December 23, 2008, 12:56 AM report to moderator
enzie

Oh – and one other thing – that’s a three/four year old statement you’re clinging to for dear life, radcakesfan. Ask Emma now, and my bet is she’d say she wants her boyfriend – instead of Dan, Rupert OR Harry lol. But that’s good for her. Those mixed-race relationships can be tough. You know – real person/fictional character – the differences in those backgrounds are really difficult to reconcile.

Posted by enzie on December 23, 2008, 01:07 AM report to moderator
Karin

@radcakesfan
You seem to base your arguments on the fact that everyone is concealing their true intentions. You see Emma’s very enthusiastic and vocal support for R/Hr as a cover up for her secret passion for H/Hr, you see EruditeWitch’s fulfilling her aministrative duties as her secret plan to convince the world of the R/E-ship. Trust issues?
Then again, when it suits your argument, your assumption is that SOME quotes are REAL clues. You use Emma’s old assertion that SHE would have preferred Harry combined with her saying that she can identify with certain aspects of Hermione’s personality as an argument for Emma secretly shipping H/Hr. Why do you trust Emma when she says she identifies with Hermione but not when she says that she ships R/Hr?
Could it be that you are biased and choose to believe only those statements that confirm your version of events, and then you dismiss statements pointing to the contrary as lies?
Your inconsistencies seem to indicate that.

Posted by Karin on December 23, 2008, 01:53 AM report to moderator
mollywobbles23

Karin,

lol I agree with everything you said. claps

Posted by mollywobbles23 on December 23, 2008, 02:10 AM report to moderator
mollywobbles23

Sorry for the double post.

I don’t know if radcakesfan is an active member on the Emma Watson Forum, but it goes down a lot, so they deleted the threads that had grown huge (200+ pages) to save server space. The R/E thread was one of those that got deleted (or archived somewhere only mods can see, idk). Sam ( Eruditewitch) simply was the first to notice it was gone when the boards came back up and so she started the thread again.

I never thought I would have to write a short essay on why someone started a thread in a forum. Heh.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on December 23, 2008, 02:14 AM report to moderator
radcakesfan

why would i wonder when rgfans post that certain scenes should be in CGI, that chemistry between Dan and Emma can only be romantic and therefore is wrong/bad and means they are bad actors, that shipping h/hr is a mortal sin, that shipping d/e is wrong but it’s okay to ship r/e (hey, lets REstart a thread shipping real people!) , that only h/hr shippers think Jkrowling is a bad writer (lots of people do, including other writers).

Oh and enzie? There you guys go again, misquoting me. Deliberately, i say. I never said she chose or would choose Dan. She chose Harry, when asked which book character she’d have chosen. Unlike what someone said earlier, that she probably had chosen Ron maybe even before she got the role. Duh. LIke i said, reasons why no one can take these posters seriously- read their posts on rupert fanboards or r/e r/hr boards. What’s that word, for when people say one thing, but do it themselves?

Posted by radcakesfan on December 23, 2008, 11:45 AM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

why would i wonder when rgfans post that certain scenes should be in CGI

How else is it going to look like they are coming out of the locket, look smoky, have their eyes shine red, and look ‘more beautiful and terrible’ than their real life counterparts? Something’s gotta be added.

I never said they are bad actors. I heard tell of arguments saying that H/Hr is sold via the movies because “Dan and Emma’s chemistry is undeniable”. That implies unintentional romantic chemistry. That implies they aren’t doing their job. We don’t ever claim that to be the case.

that shipping h/hr is a mortal sin

It is if you claim that Ron is beneath her or that the books are bad because of no H/Hr. That makes me think you really don’t care about the actual story.

Why don’t you read the thread? Either that or shut up. Shipping real people is creeeeeeeeeeepy.

If by lots you mean approximately 2%, than yeah. But your definition of ‘lots’ astounds me. There is a remarkable higher percentage…more than at least 80% of people who have read the books and like them.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 23, 2008, 12:06 PM report to moderator
Millas

the new HP book is called Harry Potter and the Shipper Wars.

HP has so much that isn’t about his love life/romance.

I’m feeling to old to call myself a shipper, but I’m 100% for Ron and Hermione, Harry and Ginny, I didn’t see that coming, I though Luna and Harry would end up together, but she is the best choice for Harry when considering this.

Real life shipping is a bit creepy, don’t you think.
I think I’m going to start ship Daniel and Rupert, because I think they have great chemistry AND have you seen how they look at each oher! OMG they’re soo close, how he looked at him during their entreview! They so luv each other!!

Posted by Millas on December 23, 2008, 01:50 PM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

Millas: Now you see my point! Danpert….tee hee.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 23, 2008, 02:22 PM report to moderator
enzie

LoL, Millas. I’ve always admitted that I would ship Harry/Ron long before I would Harry/Hermione.

radcakesfan, I haven’t a clue how I could misquote you when I used quotes from your posts. But I’ve already told you, far as H/Hr and Dan/Emma is concerned, go ahead, knock yourself out. Go print off the zillion Photoshopped pics of them you can find on all those H/Hr, D/E sites you frequent and roll around in them to your heart’s content if that…wiggles your wand. I started in with you because you twisted your own words and attributed them to me, and I wanted no part of that. But you go do whatever makes your deluded little H/Hr, D/E self happy. It’s not gonna change my mind an iota – OR ruin my day. No matter what else you babble on about, I’ve got canon. ^_~)

Posted by enzie on December 23, 2008, 03:24 PM report to moderator
enzie

Oh – and pardon the double post again, but this is to EruditeWitch: Thank you for explaining perfectly what I should have in my first post about the CGI in the locket/Harry/Hermione part of that scene. As I was reading the book, JKR’s description was very CGI-like in my mind, because of the smoke and red eyes and the way she described the image Ron sses. Harry and Hermione are so very obviously not as Ron sees them in real life, but as he’s imagined them in his nightmares and through the Dark magic. After all, the ‘real’ Harry is standing right there urging him on, and what Ron sees coming out of the locket has got to appear very different from that Harry. I still think it could very well be done in CGI for the film to incorporate JKR’s vision, no matter what ahem anyone else says. Anyway thanks again, I should have made myself more clear.

Posted by enzie on December 23, 2008, 03:36 PM report to moderator
radcakesfan

Enzie, my apologies, but the earlier comment that has you all fired up was mostly aimed at eruditewitch; i think i wrote a comment earlier that got zapped when my computer failed and i haven’t gone back. The first line included you, though. Whatever, i stick to my points. Also with this new news of this clothing designer, my hopes are high for Dan and Emma to be acting out that scene as most hp fans want.

Posted by radcakesfan on December 23, 2008, 04:40 PM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 23, 2008, 04:53 PM report to moderator
Will

I’m guessing he/she means the fake kiss from DH. I don’t see how the clothing news and it are connected, but I’ve seen HP fans make some pretty bizarre leaps of logic before. I’d guess radcakesfan is a Harry/Hermione shipper, no?

As for what most HP fans want, I don’t think most actually care one way or other whether the kiss is actully filmed or if cgi is used. Shippers might care, but H/Hr fans never were “most hp fans” or even close to that (and R/Hr fanbase always dwarfed them in size).

Posted by Will on December 23, 2008, 06:59 PM report to moderator
galadriel12

EruditeWitch: “In HBP? They dont’ really have anything to act out in that one. That news is about HBP, and what do clothes have to do with anything that has Dan and Emma acting out anything?”

But don’t you see Sam? EVERYTHING has everything to do with Dan/Emma. Whatever the film makers do or decide, it’s all about Dan and Emma. Even if they report that Draco Malfoy will get a new hair-colour in the movies it will mean Emma and Dan finally get to make out. I mean Harry/Hermione. I mean… oh god, I got confused… is it the Dan and Emma series? No, I think I recall it was the Harry and Hermione series… no, I think I got myself confused again, didn’t I once hear it was the Harry Potter series. Oh no… accio egg-nog. (Sarcasm warning)

Seriously. So true, Will. So true. Out of the HP fans world-wide, only a small fraction goes as far as posting on forums or message boards online. And out of this small fraction, only a very small fraction is specifcally interested in shipping, the rest would have taken it as it came. And out of that fraction interested in shipping, a minority saw and/or wanted H/Hr, because lets be honest, R/Hr IS canon and that is what most people (shippers or not) saw coming.

That’s not to say people aren’t allowed to prefer the idea of H/Hr and to ship them in fanon. But I am really a bit tired of hearing EVERYONE wants H/Hr. I don’t want H/Hr, so even if I was the only one, that alone would make EVERYONE false.

I personally would never be so arrogant or presumptuous as to state that what I want or my opinion is what EVERYONE wants or thinks. I know there are people who don’t like R/Hr and can hardly accept it. So be it. Not my problem. What I want is not what everyone wants and that’s fine by me. But I’m really tired of hearing that what I DON’T want is what EVERYONE wants, because what does that make me? No one?

Posted by galadriel12 on December 24, 2008, 06:30 AM report to moderator

"I sometimes find, and I am sure you know the feeling, that I simply have too many thoughts and memories crammed into my mind."[br]"Er," said Harry, who couldn't truthfully say that he had ever felt anything of the sort.